Sign in to follow this  
Peace Freak

Moving A .disc Image To Another Disk Causes It To Crash On Launch...

Question

Recently I created a DVD, with several movies and picture slide shows.

As I will be updating it in the future, I saved my work as a .disc file, them moved all the data to an external hard disk. After moving it I decided to test it. I double-clicked on the file, it launched for a second, then Toast crashed. I tried it many times but no luck.
I then decided to move all the files back to my main hard disk. After copying everything across (everything was the same as before), I tried launching it. The same thing happened, no go!
It appears that when moving a .disc image, something is corrupted. This is a pretty serious problem... All my hard work is lost!
Could someone do a test and see if the problem can be duplicated on their computer?
Thanks in advance.

1 answer to this question

When I tried to replicate this, I got a crash/no-warning-exit when double-clicking the .disc file, but it did work when launching Toast first, then opening the .disc file from the File > Open menu. That’s a coding bug, as the two actions should have the same result in properly working applications.

(The Toast .disc file is like a project file with just settings and no disc content. A Disc Image file (.toast) is different: a file containing the contents and structure of a disk volume or of an entire data storage device, and is as such all data. Speaking of “.disc image” makes it a bit confusing. Also see page 15 of the User Guide.)

The .disc file contains a description of the used files in an encoded way, which I think helps the application find the files even after moving them to a different location on the same hard disk. Likely, that description loses much of it validity when the files are moved to a different volume (and back). The recovery of the identification of the returned files is the tricky part that seems to fail here.