MMixer

Video Quality On Roxio Videowave

Question

I'm getting ready to make a movie on roxio videowave and when I preview the video before burning it, the quality of the video looks really bad and don't know how to make the quality better. Can anyone help?

16 answers to this question

The VideoWave editors preview pane is of limited quality and cannot be changed.

This is true of most video editors as the memory needed to both edit and play would overwhelm most computers.

The VideoWave editors preview pane is of limited quality and cannot be changed.

This is true of most video editors as the memory needed to both edit and play would overwhelm most computers.

So i should leave more memory on the disk or there isn't anything that can be done?

No, the preview quality is set in the program and that cannot be changed.

But your question does raise others???

We are talking JUST about the Preview Pane, either in VideoWave or in MyDVD right?

Not talking about running a preview of the file with Windows Media Player or something like that? Or looking at the movie on the disc you created on a PC or BD/DVD Player?

More details make better answers :D

No, the preview quality is set in the program and that cannot be changed.

But your question does raise others???

We are talking JUST about the Preview Pane, either in VideoWave or in MyDVD right?

Not talking about running a preview of the file with Windows Media Player or something like that? Or looking at the movie on the disc you created on a PC or BD/DVD Player?

More details make better answers :D

Yea the preview pane in videowave but i burned the movie to the dvd, the quality isn't that bad but it doesn't even fill half the screen. It have to large black bars on the left and right of the video and i don't know how to fix it.

Ah, the old aspect ratio...

Load your project into VideoWave right click on the clip and choose Aspect Ratio. This will tell you what aspect ration your clip is as well as what the aspect ratio of your project. In most cases they should be matched.

Let us know what you get and what your intended output is.

There are some other things I want to cover but I have to get to a class right now ;)

Ah, the old aspect ratio...

Load your project into VideoWave right click on the clip and choose Aspect Ratio. This will tell you what aspect ration your clip is as well as what the aspect ratio of your project. In most cases they should be matched.

Let us know what you get and what your intended output is.

There are some other things I want to cover but I have to get to a class right now ;)

The ratio is on wide and i'm trying to play it on tv and the quality is really bad and the just the video without going through roxio looks a lot better.

There are TWO readings in there!

One for Project and one for the Source. And at the bottom there are 2 options as to how you want to handle them.

I would like to know all 4 before trying to suggest anything ;)

Something that you should know in any case is that MyDVD requires more attention now than in previous versions!

You cannot SET quality in MyDVD but you can Control it... The "new" MyDVD will automatically set the quality to fit the size of your disc :wacko:

Sounds like a good idea, but there is no warning and no where to see what it is going to do. At the bottom there is the green bar and you will find that no matter how much you add, you never run out of disc space.

What it is doing is it is reducing the quality so that it fits. It starts with the bits per second. HQ should mbps should be around 8,000 to 9,000. It will drop that value to under 5,000 mbps AND will start reducing resolution. Again, seen resolution start at 720 X 480 and fall to 352 X 480 :o No warning or indication it is doing this!

But we keep the numbers in mind, 1 hour max for a 4.7 DVD and 2 hours for an 8.5 GB. It is up to us now -_-

There are TWO readings in there!

One for Project and one for the Source. And at the bottom there are 2 options as to how you want to handle them.

I would like to know all 4 before trying to suggest anything ;)

Something that you should know in any case is that MyDVD requires more attention now than in previous versions!

You cannot SET quality in MyDVD but you can Control it... The "new" MyDVD will automatically set the quality to fit the size of your disc :wacko:

Sounds like a good idea, but there is no warning and no where to see what it is going to do. At the bottom there is the green bar and you will find that no matter how much you add, you never run out of disc space.

What it is doing is it is reducing the quality so that it fits. It starts with the bits per second. HQ should mbps should be around 8,000 to 9,000. It will drop that value to under 5,000 mbps AND will start reducing resolution. Again, seen resolution start at 720 X 480 and fall to 352 X 480 :o No warning or indication it is doing this!

But we keep the numbers in mind, 1 hour max for a 4.7 DVD and 2 hours for an 8.5 GB. It is up to us now -_-

Dang, Is there anything else else i can do to make the quality better other than reduce the time of the movie or should I look for another program? And what did you want to check for?

You are asking how to 5 quarts of Jello into a 4 gallon bucket :huh:

Discs hold just what I said they do and that can't be changed. There are some encoders that do variable rate, low high quality for scenes with movement vs high low quality for still scenes. They cost a lot more and may have to process a file 3 times...

No offense but I doubt your source quality would warrant that much of an investment.

DL Discs hold about 2 hours of HQ movie. Do you really have that much or exceed that time?

Edited by Jim_Hardin
Fix the High's & Low's

There are some encoders that do variable rate, low quality for scenes with movement vs high quality for still scenes.

Me thinks you said low when you meant high and high when you meant low? :unsure:

You are asking how to 5 quarts of Jello into a 4 gallon bucket :huh:

Discs hold just what I said they do and that can't be changed. There are some encoders that do variable rate, low high quality for scenes with movement vs high low quality for still scenes. They cost a lot more and may have to process a file 3 times...

No offense but I doubt your source quality would warrant that much of an investment.

DL Discs hold about 2 hours of HQ movie. Do you really have that much or exceed that time?

So should i get a 8.5 gb disk ?

How long in time are the movies you are trying to put on the DVD? Where did they come from? In what format are they?

There really is not very much information in your posts about your projects.

Break up the video into 1 hour segments and put each segment on a DVD. I would not bother with DL-DVD since they are more trouble then they are worth and they seem to be dsiappearing anyway. None of my local stores carry them anymore.

Where are you planning to play the videos? Is your TV able to play HD video assuming that your camcorder records in HD? Do you want to have menus?

There are a lot of options available depending on what you want to do with your final video.

The tv does play hd video and i am going to include a menu and yea that was another option i was going to do.