Crizzo

How Do I Put Sd, 720P .vob Video Files On A Bd Blu-Ray Disc

Question

Im hoping someone can help me. Ive read its possible to put up to 22hrs of video on a 50GB BD but i cant find a program that will export 720p SD content to BD. I have 130, .vob type video files i need to create menu/chapter screens for then burn to a BD that i can watch on my PS3/XBOX. They are all 720p and ramge from 200MB-2GB. They total 18hrs for 46.86GB in space (i may need to compress a few of them so they all fit which i also dont know how to do). Do these .vob files need to be converted to another type to do this? Which, if any Roxio product will do what im trying to do? If none, is there any other program i can use (with minimal cost)? Adobe Elements does not export SD to BD so i dont know what else to try. Obviously i dont want the quality of videos to go down during this process. I'd be happy to somehow repay anyone who can help me.

5 answers to this question

We usually name video “720p” as a shorthand for 720 vertical lines, so a resolution of 1280×720, and that is in the HD range. SD is 480i (720×480 NTSC or 704×480 NTSC) or 576i (720×576 PAL or 704×576 PAL).

Blu-ray has the benefit of supporting multiple video codecs, among them MPEG-2 (like DVD) and MPEG-4/AVC. This allows some DVD content that is also BD compliant, to be transferred without re-encoding. Vob files would be a suitable container for that. Multi-part .vob files should be concatenated first.

Ok, that didnt help with my questions on what/how to do my project but thanks for taking the time to write something which did raise my hopes that it can be done. From what you said, it sounds like i DONT need to convert the .vob files to another extension before putting on a BD (then view on a PS3/XBOX)???? My files are 720X480. Like i mentioned, ive tried Adobe Elements but it wouldnt export SD to a BD. I tried one of Cyberlinks products but it almost doubled each file size when i imported the .vob videos (example, a single 1GB file became 1.7GB when i imported it). So i wasnt sure what was happening there. I'd love to try a Roxio or any other program if it'll do what im trying to accomplish. Also, im not sure what the last response meant by "multi-part .vob files should be concatenated first".

Your talking apples & oranges here so nothing makes sense...

First, vidoe is measured in Time not files sizes... File sizes are a result of Time and Render settings.

A 50GB BD can hold between 3 1/2 to almost 13 hours of movie depending on the quality you render at. If you want to convert them to files and use the BD as a Data Disc then figure about 200 per 50 GB disc. (these may not be playable on your BD Player)

I get the impression that you are trying to convert DVD Movies onto a BD. Not legal for commercial movies!

But since these are you personal home movies, it can be done but you have to convert them one way or another.

Detail what you have and your goal with them

Warniing the original poster is trying to get answers via private messages -- not cool.

I suggested DivX using copy and convert.before I saw this thread.

I also asked for a link to the articles he referenced saying 22 hrs is possible.

Im hoping someone can help me. Ive read its possible to put up to 22hrs of video on a 50GB BD but i cant find a program that will export 720p SD content to BD. I have 130, .vob type video files i need to create menu/chapter screens for then burn to a BD that i can watch on my PS3/XBOX.

Simple answer, no Roxio product will do what you want.