Roxio Community

Photo

Toast 15 Burns Blu-Rays & Dvds, But Doesn't Play In My Samsung Blu-Ray Player.

toast 15 samsung samsung blu-ray player samsung player blu-ray bluray plays in computer does not play in samsung doesnt play in samsung blu ray

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Orange County California

Orange County California

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:15 PM

Hi, I'm new here and this is my first post.

I have an OWC Mercury Pro drive and Toast 15. I'm able to burn both a Sony Blu-ray Disc and a Verbatim DVD. I can play my DVD on my Mercury Pro but can't play either that or the Blu-ray Disc on my Samsung Blu-ray player. I did check both discs and I can verify both are burned.

Why can't I play either on my Samsung Blu-ray player?

#2 theoldarchiver

theoldarchiver

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:41 AM

I take it that OWC Mercury Pro drive is an external Blu-ray/DVD/CD writer? I thought Apple DVD Player software only played from internal players, so how (which software) did you play a DVD from the Mercury Pro? Apple DVD Player is rather standards compliant (good for testing!), unlike other media players that try to play as much as possible.

Does the Samsung player give any message, when it can’t play these discs?

​Please confirm that you made the correct format disc. ​Did you author the discs as DVD-Video and Blu-ray Video, i.e. from the project categories, select Video; from the format selection menu, select DVD-Video or Blu-ray Video, add files, tweak settings, select media size in the space indicator, burn. [In the past, some have tried to play “Data discs” with unauthored video files, which may only play on some special set top players that have this extra functionality for a few select file types.]

Many North American set top players only handle NTSC, so verify that none of the video clips were in the PAL standard, if that applies. (See Preferences)

On the finished discs, please check: A properly authored DVD-Video disc will have a VIDEO_TS folder on it, with IFO, BUP and VOB files; and an empty AUDIO_TS folder. The format (file system) of the volume will be UDF (Get Info on the disc). A properly authored Blu-ray Video disc will have a BDMV folder on it (disguised as a ‘package’ on macOS), with a STREAM folder in it, with .m2ts files in it. The format (file system) will be UDF.

Edited by theoldarchiver, 10 August 2017 - 02:46 AM.

#3 Orange County California

Orange County California

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:59 AM

I pretty much did most of the things you said and it still came out that I can't play my DVD on my Samsung (authoring for example.)

Where am I supposed to find how to select the media size?

I screenshot 4 pics, if you see anything where I need to make changes, let me know.  Click the pictures if you need to enlarge them.

By the way, the video file is supposed to be about 2.4 GB, but it's only coming up as 1.11 GB.

62b02f575176863.jpg 

d467a1575176993.jpg 

5e739e575177013.jpg 

801324575177073.jpg 

#4 theoldarchiver

theoldarchiver

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:19 AM

Where am I supposed to find how to select the media size?

The media size can be set at the right end of the space indicator (“Space Remaining”), by choosing from CD/DVD/DVD DL/BD/BD DL/… . 

1wi9vqL.gif

By the way, the video file is supposed to be about 2.4 GB, but it's only coming up as 1.11 GB.

Not really. If the source file is 2.4 GB, then the converted file may be more or may be less, depending on settings.

#5 Orange County California

Orange County California

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:24 AM

What about the screenshots?  Should I make changes to anything?

I should add I was also able to play the Blu-ray disc on my OWC Mercury Pro drive, just not on my Samsung player.

Edited by Orange County California, 10 August 2017 - 11:33 AM.

#6 theoldarchiver

theoldarchiver

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:02 PM

What about the screenshots?  Should I make changes to anything?

I should add I was also able to play the Blu-ray disc on my OWC Mercury Pro drive, just not on my Samsung player.

I think the settings in the screenshots do not relate to the lack of functionality of the discs. They’re fine. (Personally, my default is leaving the writing speed at ‘Best’, so the optimal speed can be negotiated based on disc specification and drive capability. But I don’t think writing speed is the issue here.)

Please do not ignore the other questions:

- Which software player did you use to play the DVD and BD from the Mercury Pro? 

- Does the Samsung player give any message, when it can’t play these discs?

- Did you check the file structure and file system on the burned DVD and BD discs in your computer?

Additionally:

- Do you have any success at all with recordable discs in the Samsung player? Burned by yourself or anyone else? It would be good to have confirmation that this player will play recordable discs (DVD, BD).

#7 Orange County California

Orange County California

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:34 PM

I think the settings in the screenshots do not relate to the lack of functionality of the discs. They’re fine. (Personally, my default is leaving the writing speed at ‘Best’, so the optimal speed can be negotiated based on disc specification and drive capability. But I don’t think writing speed is the issue here.)

Please do not ignore the other questions: Sorry about that!

- Which software player did you use to play the DVD and BD from the Mercury Pro? Apple DVD Player, came with my iMac. 

- Does the Samsung player give any message, when it can’t play these discs?  "Cannot load this disc.  Please check the disc."

- Did you check the file structure and file system on the burned DVD and BD discs in your computer?  I don't know if this answers your questions.  For the Blu-ray, it is 13.84 GB, which is the same as the .mov file in my computer.  On the disc it is a QuickTime .mov file.

Additionally:

- Do you have any success at all with recordable discs in the Samsung player? Burned by yourself or anyone else? It would be good to have confirmation that this player will play recordable discs (DVD, BD).  Yes, they were burned in my old iMac back when the Macs had CD/DVD drives, something today's Macs don't have.  The burning software for them was Apple's iDVD, which is now defunct.  I should also add my old burning system was not capable of burning Blu-rays.

Edited by Orange County California, 10 August 2017 - 05:38 PM.

#8 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,947 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:55 PM

What is it you are trying to burn: a DVD or a BD? 

What is the file structure of a DVD that you burned and that does not play on the Samsung?

Edited by myguggi, 10 August 2017 - 05:56 PM.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#9 Orange County California

Orange County California

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:37 PM

What is it you are trying to burn: a DVD or a BD? i burned both, both played on my OWC Mercury Pro drive, but not on my Samsung.

What is the file structure of a DVD that you burned and that does not play on the Samsung? The DVD is a Verbatim DVD-R, can hold 4.7 GB and has a 16X speed.  The Blu-ray is a Sony BD-R, can hold 25 GB and is a version 1.3 and has a 6X speed.

#10 theoldarchiver

theoldarchiver

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:46 AM

Apple DVD Player, came with my iMac. 

I’m pretty sure Apple DVD Player doesn’t play blu-ray discs. Also, there have been reports since around 2014 that Apple DVD Player refuses to see non-Apple external optical drives as valid DVD drive. Puzzling how you do that.

"Cannot load this disc.  Please check the disc."

Unfortunately, that is a very generic error message. Samsung isn’t very helpful here.

I don't know if this answers your questions.  For the Blu-ray, it is 13.84 GB, which is the same as the .mov file in my computer.  On the disc it is a QuickTime .mov file.

Not exactly. I do like to see confirmation that the discs are okay (DVD-Video compliant/BD Video compliant), by looking at the file structure (which files and folders are present), and the file system (the standard of disk format that is used), as seen in a Get Info window.

I don’t think there should be a .mov file on your disc, though. That would suggest a “Data disc”, not a “Video disc”. 

OtGlFhy.png

#11 Orange County California

Orange County California

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:41 AM

I think you helped me find the answer.  Under format, it says "Mac OS Extended."  it does not say (UDF).

Is there a way to change the format?

77d52f575950113.jpg 

#12 theoldarchiver

theoldarchiver

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:09 AM

I think you helped me find the answer.  Under format, it says "Mac OS Extended."  it does not say (UDF).

Is there a way to change the format?

Somehow you created a Data disc, not a Video disc. That should not have happened if you continued from the procedure as implied in the screenshots of post #3.

It is also likely a reason that the Samsung rejects the disc, as the DVD and BD standard says the disc should be UDF (among other details).

If you start with Project Category [ Video ] at the top, then Toast should convert the clips to the selected format (DVD-Video, BD Video) and produce a valid UDF disc. This procedure does not have user settings for the disc format (Mac OS Extended/UDF/ISO 9660/hybrid/whatever); Toast takes care of that. So you may have to start over.

#13 Orange County California

Orange County California

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:52 AM

Well that definitely narrows it down.  Thanks for the feedback.

#14 Orange County California

Orange County California

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:23 PM

Somehow you created a Data disc, not a Video disc. That should not have happened if you continued from the procedure as implied in the screenshots of post #3.

It is also likely a reason that the Samsung rejects the disc, as the DVD and BD standard says the disc should be UDF (among other details).

If you start with Project Category [ Video ] at the top, then Toast should convert the clips to the selected format (DVD-Video, BD Video) and produce a valid UDF disc. This procedure does not have user settings for the disc format (Mac OS Extended/UDF/ISO 9660/hybrid/whatever); Toast takes care of that. So you may have to start over.

OK, problem solved!  After reading your last post, I decided to make another attempt to burn a DVD disc.  When I opened Toast, I looked at the first page and believed that having it on the first choice, "My DVD," was a mistake.  I clicked on the second choice, "DVD-Video," and that allowed me to burn it in the Universal Disc Format.  And yes, it played in my Samsung player.  A couple of days ago I left a message with tech support and followed up with them yesterday but they never got back to me.  I'm happy to say I solved this problem with your help and without tech support's help!

Thanks for your big help!

8d0099576788923.jpg 

Edited by Orange County California, 12 August 2017 - 05:34 PM.

#15 theoldarchiver

theoldarchiver

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:48 PM

I’m glad you found a way to make it work for you. 

• Orange County California likes this

#16 Orange County California

Orange County California

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:51 PM

I’m pretty sure Apple DVD Player doesn’t play blu-ray discs. Also, there have been reports since around 2014 that Apple DVD Player refuses to see non-Apple external optical drives as valid DVD drive. Puzzling how you do that.

Actually you're correct (and this was something I knew too).  The only reason I played the BD on my OWC Mercury Pro drive was because I burned the BD disc wrong as mentioned above.  Once I burned it right, I can't play it on the drive.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: toast 15, samsung, samsung blu-ray player, samsung player, blu-ray, bluray, plays in computer, does not play in samsung, doesnt play in samsung, blu ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users