Roxio Community

Photo

Ripping Hair Out! Blu Ray Not 1920X1080 On Dvd?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SweetSouljah1

SweetSouljah1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:47 AM

Please help, I need to pass over a Blu Ray to screen at a film festival with lots of Hollywood A-List folks and I can't seem to get full 1920 X 1080p on blu ray disk. It has a black box around it which I don't want. I want it to be as any other DVD would burn it completely touching the sides with only black framed top and bottom.  So it screens as such in the theater.  Why does Toast create a full black box around the movie when burned?  I searched all over the internet for months and no one answers this. Please for the love of God, can someone help me so I don't have the black boxes on the side. Please see picture for reference.

Attached Files

#2 theoldarchiver

theoldarchiver

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:05 PM

What video player is that we’re looking at? Is that the Toast Edit window for a selected clip? If so, that may explain everything: The black on the sides in that window are filler for that window only, and not part of the video. If you would resize that window vertically, you see the video frame resize to match the available width, and extra black filler on the top and bottom. [Watch it happen.] Again, not part of the video, not in the output. 

If you measure, you’ll notice that your image has a letterboxed 16:9 picture, with extra black added to the sides. That extra is outside the 16:9 field.

If you feel unsure, let Toast encode and save as disc image file (instead of burning to disc), then mount it and see the My_Movie/BDMV/STREAM/00001.m2ts file. You then can examine the output without wasting a disc.

#3 SweetSouljah1

SweetSouljah1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:31 AM

No it happens when I burn it. The picture is of the edit window as I was using it as a sample of what the final burn looks like.  

#4 theoldarchiver

theoldarchiver

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:21 AM

Well, that was a bit misleading, eh? Can you post a screenshot of the actual disc playing, in VLC, or Roxio Video Player?

Does your source file have any black padding in it, either top and bottom, or on the sides, or all around? Toast won’t crop that out automatically.

On the other hand, Toast will add black padding to the video to make it 16:9, if you’re making a 16:9 project but your source isn’t 16:9.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users