Sign in to follow this  
MathewsRL

Make It Fit

Question

I have videos in MP4. I want to convert to DVD and burn to 4.7 gb disc. The file is 4.76 gb so I get the message to insert correct disc. I thought there was was an option to compress to fit on the 4.7 gb disk. I cannot find that option.

Can you help with this.

Thanks in advance.

5 answers to this question

MPEG-2 for DVD-Video allows for some neat Fit-to-DVD5 extra compression (‘requantizing’) if the difference isn’t too much. The same feature does not apply to MP4.

If the source file is not MPEG-2, and you want to convert to DVD-Video (VIDEO_TS), then the conversion will result in a different output file size, which may be more or may be less.

No need to jump through conversions as Video is measured in TIME and file size has nothing to do with it.

A 4.7 DVD will hold about 1 hour of HQ Video.

One thing we have to watch in the NXT 4/5 is that Roxio took out any control for quality in MyDVD :o So it is up to us to control time in VideoWave otherwise MyDVD will degrade quality just to keep it one one disc.

Sorry it took so long to reply but old people have trouble like this - oh there goes a butterfly. I was pondering my options and your responses really helped.

Back to my earlier question it is wiser to just use dual layer DVDs correct? Then this is not a problem and the quality is there.

Thanks for your help

Burned DL can still be a bit flakey...

The commercial DL Discs are actually pressed just like a 78 record :lol: They are pretty reliable but burned DL media often gets lost in the transitional track that switches to the next layer.

I personally have not had issues but my DL burning is small and limited to friends and family. Read that as maybe 20 DL discs in the last 10 years :huh:

Remember TIME is the measure and 1 hour per 4.7 GB disc is the magic number.

• Like 1