Roxio Community

Photo

How Big Will File Be For 2 Hour Videotape Capture?

capture size

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cornbuzzer

Cornbuzzer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:54 AM

How big will file be for 2 hour videotape capture?

I am trying to gauge how much drive space I will need for a pile of 8mm video tapes.  Will a 2 hour tape fit onto a single 4.7GB DVD?  If it depends on quality, then is quality selection an option with the "Easy VHS to DVD 3 Plus" product, and what would be the minimum acceptable selection?

Thanks

#2 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,963 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 12:15 PM

A standard 4.7GB DVD can hold just a bit more then 60 minutes of video at best quality. Any longer than that and the video has to be more compressed with a resulting loss of quality. Trying to squeeze 2 hours on a 4.7GB DVD could make the DVD unwatchable.

VHS2DVD 3 has the option to span over several DVDs for video longer than 60 minutes. I have never tested this since I prefer to break up the video into 60 minute segments (at best quality) and burn that to a DVD

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#3 TysonDawg

TysonDawg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Woodworking, RVing

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:00 AM

I stumbled on this one my first try.  Tried to put an 84 minute VHS on a 4.7GB DVD.  Didn't work at high quality.  I then recorded it to hard disk and from there burned it to DVD using the "fit to disc" checkbox.  I don't know how that compared to just using the straight burn to disc option using the slider set for medium quality.

It would be nice if they had an option for burning to a double sided disc or better yet burn to blu-ray.

#4 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,456 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:12 AM

Outputting to a File then using the file to output to a DVD gained absolutely nothing and my cost more in Quality!

Roxio has always used a fixed rate rendering process. That means if you want HQ discs it is up to you and me to make sure we do not exceed the 1 Hr/4.GB rule. It will do DL discs but they can be touchy in burning or during playback :(

EVD also has the option to Span Discs. In your 84 minute project you could have gone 60 & 14 or set the split point to a more sensible place and used 2, 4.6GB DVDs.

Just don't try to deviate from the 1 hr/disc rule ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users