Sign in to follow this  
JoJoNoNo

No Sound On Blu-Ray

Question

Hi,

Here's the problem. I'm burning a Blu-Ray from a Matroska file. It has five tracks listed. The first two are sound tracks and the last three are subtitles. Here's a screen shot:

The problem is when I burn to Blu-Ray there is no sound at all. When I go in to the "Edit" mode in Toast Titanium and have the "english DTS" audio selected, there is no sound during playback within Toast's editor, BUT when I switch to "spanish...", I get the spanish track clear. Any idea what is going on or how to correct it?

I do have a work around. Convert in Handbrake at the highest possible resolution, then use the resulting m4v to feed Toast and create the Blu-Ray. Not the way to go as it adds lots of artifacts from the various format changes.

Thanks in advance for any help.

post-132259-0-79389200-1508975644_thumb.png

2 answers to this question

I’m suspecting Toast doesn’t support DTS audio (nor multiple audio streams, nor subtitles in the encoding/authoring process).

A tool like ffmpeg (command line) can copy some streams as-is, but re-encode other specified streams, and ignore yet other streams. That might be more suitable in this case than HandBrake GUI, which can’t pass-through video, afaik.

ffmpeg -i path/input.mkv -map 0:v:0 -map 0:a:0 -c:v copy -c:a ac3 -b:a 448k path/output.mkv

This Terminal command assumes a pre-installed ffmpeg binary. It will copy the video stream (with highest quality (resolution)), re-encode the audio stream with the highest quality (most channels) (or the first if there are several HQ streams) to AC-3 448 kbps, and ignore all other streams, and put the result into a new file.