Thedunker2

Dvd Burn Issue

Question

I have used Roxio for sometime, successfully burning family videos. Now, for whatever unknown reason, when I insert the burned DVD my player spits it back out. I also notice when I try to play it on a computer drive, it will not auto=play start, will not start with VCUAutoplay, but will run when opened with Corel WinDVD. The disc was burned with Roxio Creator NXT Pro 5 Very frustrating, and many many hours spent trying different combos of computers and players. ANY suggestions very appreciated..

14 answers to this question

I have used Roxio for sometime, successfully burning family videos. Now, for whatever unknown reason, when I insert the burned DVD my player spits it back out. I also notice when I try to play it on a computer drive, it will not auto=play start, will not start with VCUAutoplay, but will run when opened with Corel WinDVD. The disc was burned with Roxio Creator NXT Pro 5 Very frustrating, and many many hours spent trying different combos of computers and players. ANY suggestions very appreciated..

Perhaps there are at least 2 issues.

1) Did you use a high quality blank DVD? Store brands are not high quality. What brand did you use?

2) Is it possible that you skipped a step and made a data disc rather than a video disc *using MyDVD_?

My guess is number 1.

I think by 'auto play' you mean the disc starting and going to the Main Menu??? As opposed to a movie starting and running without any menu page and looping back to the beginning after reaching the end.

Also I want to be sure we are talking about a "DVD Movie" as opposed to a movie file burned onto a DVD (Data Disc).

To make sure you haven't accidentally created a Data Disc, look at the disc with File Explorer. First thing you should see is a folder called VIDEO_TS. It has to be there!!!

There are a couple of ways to create a DVD Movie in NXT.

Obviously through Create DVDs (MyDVD) and the Copy and Convert Video

MyDVD can burn discs with menus or create an ISO file of the project.

Copy and Convert Video can burn Movie Discs from individual files and/or an ISO file. It can also create a DVD Movie folder. That folder (VIDEO_TS) can be burned by the Burn Data Disc application and it will produce a properly formatted DVD Movie from it.

Lastly, it can be the Media you are using. Store brand or other cheap media can be unpredictable. Pay the extra dollar and get a cake of Verbatim (Singapore) and Taiyo Yuden (JVC) ;)

That is a lot of ground to cover. Work through it and let us know what you find.

Sknis. Thank you. 1. Used a Memorex DVD+R as I have always used in the past successfully. 2. Possibly, will go back and try again. Why I use File Explorer to check the disk I see AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS.

Jim_Hardin. I tried to create the video on a Memorex DVD, using the DVD without menu option. When I insert the disk in my Panasonic DVD player, it lists READING, and the burps the disk back out. I used Create DVD, entered a name using the Theater theme, then moved a .wmv file I created with VEGAS 6 and hit the red burn button at the lower right. I tried using a file formatted in .wmv and also again using an mpeg file, tried making the disk on 2 different computers, using several versions of ROXIO NXT, playing same on my DVD player, all with the same result. VERY frustrating. It has always worked fine in the past (at least several months ago.)

I have a stack of VETBTIM disks, will try again with one of them.

Meanwhile, anticipating I/we WILL solve this, just ordered NXT6.

Thank you for the suggestions, will try again.

Memorex used to be the bottom of the barrel ! :(

Never upgrade software to try to fix a problem.

Fom Video Wave, create either an ISO file or a Folder set. You can preview either of these before you burn to disc.. That way if there is an issue with the project, it can be caught before you burn to disc. If it Ok then you can just burn the ISO file or folder set to the disc.

OK, tried again with NXT4, using a Verbatim blank DVD, very careful to select CREATE DVD, then clicked the big red BURN button, it seemed to do its thing.

When done, DVD player refused it, ground a wee bit, then spit it back out.

Looked at it with File Explorer, same two files, AUDIO and VIDEO TS.

When I put the disk into the computer, ground a wee bit, then gave an error window Big Red with X in the middle, with I: Application not found. My DVD drive is DVD RW (I:)

I am not knowledgeable enough to fully understand what is transpiring, but it appears to me there is something in the software that is supposed to tell the DVD player the disk contains a movie, and the DVD player then responds with actions to play the movie. Either that code is missing in the software (unlikely) or it is not getting encoded on the disk.

My next step, failing other suggestions from you, is to take the new copy of NXT 6 when it arrives, along with the authored files I have created, to my local computer shop where I have friends, load the software onto one of their machines, then try to create a DVD movie and see what happens.

Should be quite a journey. I will take two computers (an HP and a Dell), the DVD player, and a flash drive with Vegas authored videos in several formats.

ANY suggestions appreciated. Or, in lieu of suggestions, maybe a prayer? :-)

Sknis, Have never used Video Wave, so will try your suggestion, but will take some time as I get up to speed. Would really be nice if one could purchase a user manual, but . . .

Have found some stuff on the web.

OK, tried again with NXT4, using a Verbatim blank DVD, very careful to select CREATE DVD, then clicked the big red BURN button, it seemed to do its thing.

When done, DVD player refused it, ground a wee bit, then spit it back out.

Looked at it with File Explorer, same two files, AUDIO and VIDEO TS.

When I put the disk into the computer, ground a wee bit, then gave an error window Big Red with X in the middle, with I: Application not found. My DVD drive is DVD RW (I:)

I am not knowledgeable enough to fully understand what is transpiring, but it appears to me there is something in the software that is supposed to tell the DVD player the disk contains a movie, and the DVD player then responds with actions to play the movie. Either that code is missing in the software (unlikely) or it is not getting encoded on the disk.

My next step, failing other suggestions from you, is to take the new copy of NXT 6 when it arrives, along with the authored files I have created, to my local computer shop where I have friends, load the software onto one of their machines, then try to create a DVD movie and see what happens.

Should be quite a journey. I will take two computers (an HP and a Dell), the DVD player, and a flash drive with Vegas authored videos in several formats.

ANY suggestions appreciated. Or, in lieu of suggestions, maybe a prayer? :-)

Can you list the files that are contained in the Video_TS folder?

myguggi,

VIDEO_TS.BUP 12KB

VIDEO_TS.IFO 12KB

VIDEO_.VOB 232KB

VTS_01_0.BUP 24KB

VTS_01_0.IFO 24KB

VTS_01.1.VOB 851,710KB

Edited by Thedunker2

The 3rd file in your list (VIDEO_.VOB 232KB) doesn't look right. Are you sure that is in the Video_TS folder?

How long in time is your project? Less than 15 minutes from file listing

I have that VIDEO_TS.VOB in my MyDVD creations as well. No idea what it does, but it seems to be part of the scheme :lol:

If the Memorex discs result in the same problem using 2 different authoring softwares... Seems likely that they are the issue.

I have that VIDEO_TS.VOB in my MyDVD creations as well. No idea what it does, but it seems to be part of the scheme :lol:

If the Memorex discs result in the same problem using 2 different authoring softwares... Seems likely that they are the issue.

I guess the "VIDEO_.VOB" that the poster listed is a typo

VIDEO_TS.VOB file: the first-play Video Object of the DVD-Video disc, usually a copyright notice or a menu. It is part of Video Manager (VMG). This file is not required to be present on a DVD-compliant disc.

I am so very sorry, the VIDEO_.VOB is my error, should have been VIDEO_TS.VOB

The authored video I was attempting to put on a DVD is 25-30 minutes in length. After trying several approaches without success, I decided to author a short movie, half a dozen pictures, short audio to use in trouble shooting the process instead of futzing with the very long one.

Just made another attempt with the long video, same result. Insanity: repeating the same process and expecting different results. BUT, hope springs eternal. :-(

Have you tried to create a folder set or iso file as has been recommended earlier? You then play that with the VLC player. This will tell you if the problem is with the burning the DVD process. If the iso or folder set play correctly then the problem is probably with the burner.

Did your short video work? What are your settings when you authour the DVD?