Sign in to follow this  
methc

BDMV file burned by Titanium11 with Blu-Ray plugin

Question

I have burned a 1hr20min iMovie file onto a DVD-R disc using Titanium 11 on this late 2009 iMac with OSX v10.11.6 (El Capitan).The resulting files on the disk are BDMV and Gertificate.

Quicktime Player and Quicktime 7 will not play the file. I see a message that QT cannot read the file.

Neither does a Sony Blu-Ray player. I have also burned the iMovie file onto a similar DVD-R disc successfully which plays anywhere.Even the Sony.

However I would like to see the movie in full resolution on my TV and computer screen. On a Panasonic Blu-Ray player, DMR BS780 the disc plays perfectly.

In conversation with the shop salesman just now he infers that home made Blu-Ray discs may contain unacceptable files. I may take the machine back for an exchange.

Any suggestions?

2 answers to this question

18 hours ago, methc said:

1hr20min

Quicktime Player and Quicktime 7 will not play the file. I see a message that QT cannot read the file.

… Sony Blu-Ray player … Panasonic Blu-Ray player

Did you author a “High Definition DVD-Video” or a “Blu-ray Video”? Both will generate a BDMV, but they may differ a bit. The set top player may expect certain properties depending on the detected media, so it is advisable to match format and media. Note that Toast’s High Def DVD may use a lower maximum bitrate than BD, I presume to accommodate for the read speed for DVD media.

Others have calculated that High Definition DVD-Video could probably contain 40 minutes of video on a 4.7 GB disc. Doubling that would mean doubling the compression (half the bitrate, less quality). If you used a DL disc, then verify that this DL disc isn’t what is causing havoc on the Sony.

For some unknown reason, there is a macOS build-in file association between BDMV and QuickTime Player, which is not justified, as the latter can not play the former, never has, probably never will. Note that the BDMV is actually a folder; the Finder treats it as a ‘package’, just because of its name (and its content).

“Despite the fact that the BD9 format has been adopted as part of the BD-ROM basic format, none of the existing Blu-ray player models support it explicitly. As such, the discs recorded in BD9 and BD5 formats are not guaranteed to play on standard Blu-ray Disc players.” [1]  “Most players have no problem playing BD9 discs, but it is a well know fact that most Sony players as well as Panasonics do not play this type of disc. However, there is a patch that can be applied to the Index file on these type of disc that will trick the player on recognizing the disc as being an AVCHD type of disc that these players accept.” [2]

Some issues here as well, though. My 2009 Pioneer BD player (last firmware 2013) doesn’t agree with Toast’s BD (and Toast’s High Def DVD) menus: It won’t show a menu background or text (but it will show the selection overlay: yellow border). The navigation is sort-of functional, in a blind way. The manual says this player supports BDMV on BD media as well as on DVD media. Regular Toast DVD-Video, commercial BDs, and BDMVs authored elsewhere all work fine, though. I can open the /BDMV/STREAM/01200.m2ts in a software movie player (Roxio Video Player or IINA), and that shows the menu; so it’s on the disc, but it doesn’t show on my tv. Still trying to figure out what the exception is here.