reble11

a problem with vertical aspect ratio

Question

I just burned a video that I got off Youtube. I attached a screen capture of the video. The horizontal is fine but the vertical is squashed down.  The aspect ratio doesn't help the vertical when the video is played on laptop with VLC media player.  The video also plays this way on the DVD player attached to the tv.  The sound is fine and in sync with the video. How do I stretch out the vertical on the video?

Steve

s acreen capture of a movie.jpg

Edited by reble11

6 answers to this question

How did your Youtube download play in the VLC player before you burned it to DVD, Steve?

You haven't told us anything about the aspect ratio or dimensions or filetype of your source file, or how you burned it, so it's slightly impossible for us to guess at which point or why your movie got squashed.

11 hours ago, Brendon said:

How did your Youtube download play in the VLC player before you burned it to DVD, Steve?

You haven't told us anything about the aspect ratio or dimensions or filetype of your source file, or how you burned it, so it's slightly impossible for us to guess at which point or why your movie got squashed.

The 2nd screen capture is from the original source file. I had to split the source file in half to fit on two 4.7gb DVD's. The source file is a MP4 file and is  3 hours, 17 minutes play time. The size of the source file is 943mb. It took a bit of work and time to figure out how to split in half the video using Videowave. Somewhere in the  process of splitting and burning the vertical  got  squashed .

Steve

5a1c8af62dae3_sourcefile.thumb.jpg.f355f2300f0b983be12be2f791e470c7.jpg

Hi Steve,

What are you ultimately hoping to do with this movie?

I ask this because a single-layer 4.3GB DVD [4,700,000,000 bytes odd] will only take an hour of video-DVD at a standard quality.  Even if you split your source, you're going to be squeezing 1hr 38 or 39 minutes onto a single-layer DVD, and the playback quality will be far from optimal.  The quality of your source isn't that high to start with.

If you're intending to store it and play back on your TV set or one close to you, it would be worth checking the intended player or TV set to see if they're new enough to play the movie straight from the .MP4, either from a data DVD in the player or from a USB pendrive in the TV set.  If so, your source file would easily fit on a data DVD or into a pendrive without having to be split, un-squashed, or re-rendered by you.

If a TV set or a DVD player that will handle MP4s aren't available to you, you might have a long job ahead.  Here are some stats on your source file:

-the source is 854 pixels wide by 470 pixels high.  It has black bands top and bottom, which are 58 px high.  So the actual picture field is 854 x 354.  If you leave the black bands the aspect ratio will be close to 16:9 [854 x 480] and should play without too much stretch.

-it is NTSC, which is 29.971 frames/sec, and has stereo audio.

If you need it on a set of DVDs for an old player or TV, it might pay you to split your source in Videowave again, and then "Export As" using the 'Same as Original' setting to maintain the aspect ratio of your source.  After that you can use your usual method to squash each half-source file onto a Video DVD.

export.jpg.c89bf6f9ac00de7bac5cea1b574d40f1.jpg

Regards,

Brendon

2 hours ago, Brendon said:

Hi Steve,

What are you ultimately hoping to do with this movie?

I ask this because a single-layer 4.3GB DVD [4,700,000,000 bytes odd] will only take an hour of video-DVD at a standard quality.  Even if you split your source, you're going to be squeezing 1hr 38 or 39 minutes onto a single-layer DVD, and the playback quality will be far from optimal.  The quality of your source isn't that high to start with.

If you're intending to store it and play back on your TV set or one close to you, it would be worth checking the intended player or TV set to see if they're new enough to play the movie straight from the .MP4, either from a data DVD in the player or from a USB pendrive in the TV set.  If so, your source file would easily fit on a data DVD or into a pendrive without having to be split, un-squashed, or re-rendered by you.

If a TV set or a DVD player that will handle MP4s aren't available to you, you might have a long job ahead.  Here are some stats on your source file:

-the source is 854 pixels wide by 470 pixels high.  It has black bands top and bottom, which are 58 px high.  So the actual picture field is 854 x 354.  If you leave the black bands the aspect ratio will be close to 16:9 [854 x 480] and should play without too much stretch.

-it is NTSC, which is 29.971 frames/sec, and has stereo audio.

If you need it on a set of DVDs for an old player or TV, it might pay you to split your source in Videowave again, and then "Export As" using the 'Same as Original' setting to maintain the aspect ratio of your source.  After that you can use your usual method to squash each half-source file onto a Video DVD.

export.jpg.c89bf6f9ac00de7bac5cea1b574d40f1.jpg

Regards,

Brendon

The 1st viewing area at Radcon (a Science Fiction/Fantasy convention) I will be using a Toshiba Satellite M60 laptop OS XP Pro. Connected to a P15PX model L5EX-TA ,  a 15" VGA monitor with sound, I don't know who makes the monitor. The Toshiba laptop I can play the source file directly off a USB thumb drive.  The 2nd place is in the kids tv room, were the kids can be watched while the  parents can roam around the convention freely knowing that the kids are safe. That setup is a portable DVD player connected to a 19" high def flat screen tv. This 1 movie is the one that I had to split in half to play in the DVD player.  The rest of the stack of movies that I burned plays just fine in the DVD player. And also you don't worry about getting in trouble for helping me. There is no charge to watch any of this movies. The movie in question  is a fan made Star Trek movie, the name is "Star Trek  II  Retibution".  I also sit on the Radcon board of directors. And I am the audio/video tech for the kids tv room.

Your screenshot shows a 1281×580 px movie, that is an aspect ratio of 2.21:1 including the letterbox bars, or 2.75:1 excluding the letterbox bars. 

As Brendon also noted, this video reports 854×470 px (including 2× 58 px letterbox bars) when I download it with youtube-dl. That is an aspect ratio of 1.82:1 (with movie content of 2.41:1 between the letterbox bars. Original screen shots on stexpanded.wikia.com are 1128×480 px, so 2.35:1 seems like the correct value for the movie content. So even YouTube presents it now resized and a bit too wide.
You may stretch the video back to 16:9 without re-encoding, using a separate tool (e.g. ffmpeg or MP4Box if you're comfortable with command line tools) if needed. MP4/MKV aspect ratio can be set at two levels: container (this file should be displayed at 16:9 regardless of pixel amount) or video stream (in this video stream every GOP has a defined a.r.). Setting it at the container level has priority and is easier/faster, but that setting might get lost for some file manipulation circumstances, as it is only meta data.

The limited motion in this CG movie should facilitate mostly low bitrates and keep the file size small, depending on the encoder. (Roxio’s encoders with “single pass average bitrate” may not have the best efficiency on this special movie, in contrast to quantizer scale encoding.) So it can be encoded within 4.7 GB, even 1.63 GB at fine quality.

58 minutes ago, theoldarchiver said:

As Brendon also noted, this video reports 854×470 px (including 2× 58 px letterbox bars) when I download it with youtube-dl.

Thanks for joining in.  I downloaded it for examination too, but I'm too busy with Discovery to watch the whole movie at the moment. :)