• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 22 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Question

I am trying to uninstall Roxio Virtual Drive 10. This is because windows 10 cannot update feature update 1709 with the error message that Virtual Drive 10 is not compatible and must be uninstalled before Win 10 will update. 

Method 1: I have run the original Roxio setup file and chosen the option not to include Roxio Burn. However this does not work and I can still see a Roxio virtual drive in This PC.

Method 2: I have tried to uninstall the whole Roxio product. However the uninstall hangs and does not complete.

Method 3: I cannot find Virtual drive in device manager to try and uninstall it there.

The only option I can think of is to manually uninstall the whole Roxio Product and reinstall just Roxio Creator NXT 4. Where can I find instructions to do this? Your advice would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Chris

Modify.JPG

21 answers to this question

4 hours ago, Chris Nicola said:

Has anyone come across a way to manually uninstall all of NXT4? Then I can just reinstall what I need.

Chris,

Myguggi's suggestion is the same as your 'Method 2', so you should expect the same result.

Roxio has built a sort of 'reverse gear' into their installer which you might describe as running the installer backwards. It might do the job for you since the Windows uninstaller has failed.

Method 4: You copy the Program files off your installer DVD or software download into a folder on your hard drive, and put a copy of  CleanSystem.bat into that same folder where you see Setup.exe.

program.jpg.0751169d07636544fb9ec62407cff967.jpg

Then you run CleanSystem.bat by double-clicking on the file, and it runs the Roxio setup in reverse.  Here is a copy of the batch file.  CleanSystem.bat

I'm hopeful that this will work, but not really confident since the MS uninstaller has failed. Still, it's worth a try, I think.  If it fails, you might need to go to method 5.

Method 5:

-Download the free trial version of the Revo Uninstaller, from  http://www.revouninstaller.com/

-uninstall all Roxio software. When you highlight the software to uninstall, right click on it and choose moderate mode

Afterwards

Once you have cleaned NXT 4 out of your system, I don't think there will be much point in trying to put it back in. If you get the Feature Update 1709 installed (and if you refuse it Microsoft will hold you down and force-feed it to you because the medicine is now compulsory!) from what you've said 1709 doesn't like VirtualDrive.  Roxio's custom installer doesn't allow you to de-select VirtualDrive because it's integral to the suite, so you're stuck! :( As you see in the screenshots, VirtualDrive is the droid you're looking for, not Roxio Secure Burn.  Sorry, but I can't see a way around this.

cust.jpg.39e173415f1fb7bcbe720553a0c37e43.jpg

Regards, Brendon

Thank you very much for this suggestion. For some reason this does not appear in my device manager. Maybe Windows has disabled it. Has anyone come across a way to manually uninstall all of NXT4? Then I can just reinstall what I need.

Kind regards

Chris 

Device manager.JPG

Roxio Virtual Drive is not the same as Roxio Burn.

Where do you see "Roxio Virtual Drive"?

To uninstall NXT 4, go to: Control Panel/Programs and Features and then select Roxio NXT 4 to uninstall it

5 hours ago, Chris Nicola said:

Thank you very much for this suggestion. For some reason this does not appear in my device manager. Maybe Windows has disabled it. Has anyone come across a way to manually uninstall all of NXT4? Then I can just reinstall what I need.

Kind regards

Chris 

Device manager.JPG

Since you don't show a 'Roxio Softscsi Host Adapter' under storage controllers I don't think you have a Virtual Drive installed?

Where did you get this name from 'Roxio Virtual Drive 10'??

Thank you all for your replies. I will study them and work through the suggestions and let you know what happens. I have copied the Windows Update Error message below. It says it can't install because Virtual Drive 10 is installed. The only Virtual Drive I have on my computer is Roxio Burn Drive. So my conclusion is that Virtual Drive 10 is a Roxio product. I note that there is a folder called Virtual Drive in the following path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Roxio Creator NXT 4\Virtual Drive.

Kind Regards

Chris 

PS. I have just been reading through Brendon's post. Thanks for this information. If it comes to a choice between NXT 4 and the Windows Update I would prefer to keep NXT 4 as it is a very useful programme for me (although I don't mind losing just Virtual Drive if that is possible). My plan was to uninstall NXT4 and apply the Windows update and then reinstall NXT4.  

Roxio Burn Drive.JPG

Virtual Drive 10 Error.JPG

Edited by Chris Nicola

1 hour ago, Chris Nicola said:

The only Virtual Drive I have on my computer is Roxio Burn Drive.

As myguggi already told you " Roxio Virtual Drive is not the same as Roxio Burn Drive! "

Hi Chris,

Thanks for that screen shot.  I've been searching all over for a product called "VirtualDrive 10", but I'm not having any luck so far.  It seems there are lots of virtual drive softwares around.  The Roxio one is labeled "64_170" in the installer, since NXT 4 is Creator version 17.

I notice the Windows Update box you showed had an "Uninstall and continue" button.  Did you try using that to uninstall the App it complained of?

I hope to have a drive cleaned off later today so I can put Win10 1709 on it and install NXT 4.  While that won't help you get "VirtualDrive 10" off your system, it should show whether NXT 4 is compatible with 1709.  I'll come straight back here when I have something to report.

Brendon

Thanks Brendon. You mention, " I notice the Windows Update box you showed had an "Uninstall and continue" button". Yes I did try that option. Windows tried to uninstall Virtual Drive 10 but still failed with the uninstall and gave the same error message.

My other question is if "Roxio Burn Drive" is not "Roxio Virtual Drive" then what is the "Roxio Virtual Drive" Folder" for?  C:\Program Files (x86)\Roxio Creator NXT 4\Virtual Drive. I believe they are related.

On another note, some years ago I did use a programme called Faststone VirtualDrive and it came in successive versions, 10, 11, 12, 13...etc. However I uninstalled that years ago. I wonder if Roxio bought the code from Faststone and incorporated it into their "Roxio Burn Drive" software. Just a thought.

Kind regards

Chris

Edited by Chris Nicola

Hi Folks, I'm back.

Chris, I installed Windows 10 version 1709 on a machine, and then installed Creator NXT 4.  It runs fine!  If you can get the obstacle out of the way and update to 1709 you should be good to reinstall Creator NXT 4.

Roxio Virtual Drive   This has been a big red herring.  Windows 8 introduced a built-in virtual drive, so the Roxio installer was made to test for the Windows version and stopped installing Roxio's virtual drive in Windows 8 and above.  There was no need for it, and it was likely to interfere with the Windows one.  There is still a great deal of information in the Help system about Roxio Disc Image Loader but it doesn't get loaded under Windows 8 or Windows 10, so that isn't the thing that's causing you the grief!!   Also, Roxio Secure Burn is quite separate from the virtual disc software (I've done a lot of work on Roxio Burn) and that has no connection at all to virtual discs.

Having reached that conclusion, I'm not sure what's the best way of getting rid of the one that's stopping your Windows update.  The best I can think of is Method 5,  the Revo Uninstaller mentioned above.  If you can use that to get rid of VirtualDrive 10, then you can update Windows and reinstall your NXT 4.

Regards,

Brendon

Thank you all for your replies. The latest update is that I successfully uninstalled NTX 4 using CleanSystem.bat. I am not aware of having any Roxio products on my system although I plan to reinstall later. I also uninstalled Ashampoo burning Studio 16. Sadly Windows 10 will still not update and gives the same error message that first I have too uninstall VirtualDrive 10. I am not aware of having any such programme on my system. I ran msinfo32 and search for the words Virtual, VirtualDrive and Virtual Drive and can't find anything on my system. I did a registry search and there are some instances of "VirtualDrive" on my system probably relating to Roxio but I am not aware of having any programmes installed. This is a great mystery to me. I am not sure where to go from here. 

Kind regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

You're making progress.

Since you had Farstone Virtual Drive but you uninstalled it, I think a Farstone driver may have been left behind and Windows has detected it.   Try Method five and see what items the Revo uninstaller can detect.

I don't know that Revo will work.It may if you use Forced Uninstall but I've found that to be tricky to use and haven't had much success with it.

I hate to be the one to mention this but I think if the OP found Registry entries that have to do with Virtual Drive then doing a Regedit and deleting them may end up being the way to go.Of course backing up the registry first is essential for safety's sake.

I hope I'm not interfering Brendon.

Edited by tbrewst

I wish to thank you all for your helpful comments.  

I  used ccleaner to clean up unnecessary files and obsolete registry entries but that did not stop the Windows update error.

I found the old setup file for Farstone VirtualDrive10 and tried to install with the intention of immediately uninstalling with Windows or Revo uninstaller but the setup would not launch with the message that this programme was incompatible with Win 10 (no surprises).

I went to a Microsoft forum and was advised to download a fresh copy of Win 10 and perform a repair install and to select the option to check for updates.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...7-f40096ec3085

That failed with the same error message that I had to uninstall VirtualDrive 10 before the update could proceed.

In the meantime I have managed to solve the problem. It has nothing to do with any Roxio products or any incompatible installed software. The solution was quite simple. On a hunch I suspected that Windows update was looking in my personal storage drives for evidence of incompatible programmes instead of just my C drive. I went to disk management and selected to put my two storage drives offline so I was just left with my C drive. I went to settings/update and security and ran windows update in the normal way and feature update 1709 installed without any problems. After rebooting to finish the update I put both drives online again and all is well. One of the drives had a "Foreign" status so I right clicked to select to get it back online.

Troubleshooting Disk Management    Then I reinstalled NXT4 without any problems.

So basically there is a bug in Windows Update that causes it to look in other drives instead of just the C drive for evidence of incompatible programmes. I hope this information will be useful to others who encounter a similar problem.

Thank you again for all your help.

Kind regards
Chris

Edited by Chris Nicola

Chris,

Thanks for sticking with this, answering questions, and reporting back so clearly.  It has been an interesting trip, and I've learned a few new things.

Brendon

5 hours ago, Chris Nicola said:

In the meantime I have managed to solve the problem. It has nothing to do with any Roxio products or any incompatible installed software. The solution was quite simple. On a hunch I suspected that Windows update was looking in my personal storage drives for evidence of incompatible programmes instead of just my C drive. I went to disk management and selected to put my two storage drives offline so I was just left with my C drive. I went to settings/update and security and ran windows update in the normal way and feature update 1709 installed without any problems. After rebooting to finish the update I put both drives online again and all is well. One of the drives had a "Foreign" status so I right clicked to select to get it back online.

Sounds like they made W10 into a hunting dog! :blink:

8 hours ago, cdanteek said:

Sounds like they made W10 into a hunting dog! :blink:

More like what's referred to as "A festering pile of dog poo!" :lol:

-and once you have it you MUST accept all the changes and 'updates', like them or not.