hm933

Toast 11 (and 9) only able to burn at "best" and 1x

Question

I run Toast 9 and Toast 11, both the latest versions of the software on Mac OS 10.10.2 on my desktop and laptop
I have a new Other World Computing optical drive which shows up as HL-DT-STDVDRAM GH24NSC0, firmware LI00 / MMC-3 (LG mechanism in an OWC case)

When I use Toast, I am not able to pick any other write speed besides "best" and 1x DVD.  System Report shows burn speeds of 8x, 16x and 24x.
In the shareware "Simply Burns" and in Disk Utility, all supported speeds show up. Occasionally I would like to burn a disk at a slightly lower speed than "best"

Toast 9 and 11 play nicely with my other burners, an old Pioneer and a couple of somewhat older portables. I'm using Verbatim DVD-R disks that I've used for years (the good ones, not the bargain line). The issue occurs on both computers in multiple users with and without admin privileges.

OWC and LG cannot/would not help me. OWC simply says their product is compatible with Toast and LG (to whom OWC referred me) was obviously answered by a low-level responder whose reponse made no sense whatsoever.

Anyone else having a similar problem with older version of Toast and newer optical drive, i.e., would the problem be solved by a newer Toast version (which I'm in no hurry to buy).

9 answers to this question

Best speed is very close to 24x, so fast the disk was once hot to the touch. When I burn, drive has been only device and connected directly to computer with a new cable and yes I tried multiple ports. Conflict unlikely b/c issue happens on two computers with multiple users. Sticking with 10.10.2 b/c I don't fix what ain't broke (learned the hard way many times).

On 12/22/2017 at 5:33 PM, hm933 said:

Best speed is very close to 24x, so fast the disk was once hot to the touch.

I'm using Verbatim DVD-R disks

I'm not aware of a DVD-R from Verbatim faster than a 16X burn rate.

3 hours ago, cdanteek said:

I'm not aware of a DVD-R from Verbatim faster than a 16X burn rate.

That's a good point. The DVD's are only 16X, but System Report shows write speeds of 8, 16 and 24x - do you think that indicates a problem with the burner?

1 hour ago, hm933 said:

That's a good point. The DVD's are only 16X, but System Report shows write speeds of 8, 16 and 24x - do you think that indicates a problem with the burner?

The system might indicate the disc could be burned faster than 16X but that doesn't mean the firmware flashed into the drive would support a faster speed than 16X.

Never burn a disc faster than the stated fastest X for the disc used, this case 16X the Verbatim are rated for.

1 hour ago, cdanteek said:

Never burn a disc faster than the stated fastest X for the disc used, this case 16X the Verbatim are rated for.

That's my point - I'm trying not to - wanted to burn at something lower, but Toast only "sees" speeds of 24x or 1x and when I burn using Toast, speed starts slow, but ultimately ends up near 24x. So back to my original question, is it Toast (9/11), or is there something not quite right with this drive? Again, freeware app shows the same burn speeds as System Report and allows me to drop down to 8x and in my other burners, Toast shows speeds of 16x, 12x and several other lower speeds.

Edited by hm933

4 minutes ago, hm933 said:

, but Toast only "sees" speeds of 24x or 1x.

4 minutes ago, hm933 said:

Toast shows speeds of 16x, 12x and several other lower speeds.

I'm not getting it or your not explaining it well?

When I put a disk into the new drive, Toast gives me only two options for write speeds, "best" and 1x. When I burn the disk on "best", it starts slow, but eventually ends up near 24x. When I put the same media into any of my other drives, Toast shows a greater range of write speeds - I usually burn at 8 or 12x. When I burn with the freeware app in the new drive I get choices of 8, 16 and 24x and I am able to burn at 8x.

15 hours ago, hm933 said:

When I put a disk into the new drive, Toast gives me only two options for write speeds, "best" and 1x. When I burn the disk on "best", it starts slow, but eventually ends up near 24x. When I put the same media into any of my other drives, Toast shows a greater range of write speeds - I usually burn at 8 or 12x. When I burn with the freeware app in the new drive I get choices of 8, 16 and 24x and I am able to burn at 8x.

I would do my burning with the drives that give you " choices of 8, 16 and 24x and I am able to burn at 8x" then.

Whats up with the other drive I don't know?

Do you have a specific reason to stick to OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 , when 10.10.5 (or even 10.11–10.13) has been available?
Does the drive still show extremely limited write speeds, when it is the ONLY connected device (except keyboard/mouse), after reboot? If not, that might point to a conflict.
Is the drive connected directly, or via a hub?
Have you tried other (USB-)ports to connect the drive to? 
If you burn at “Best” speed, how slow/fast is that? Closer to 1x or 24x?