Sign in to follow this  
johnwchurch

Jwc1934@aol.com

Question

I have a new I-Mac with the latest operating system, High Sierra (10.12.3). I have Toast #16. I have a new disc recorder, a Mercury Pro purchased from Other World Computing. When I attempt to burn a disc, Toast will recognize the burner for a short time and then revert to the message that no recorder is attached. 

A Corel technician suggested that I remove all traces of Toast, restart, and install Toast again. Unfortunately this did not solve the problem and I am still unable to burn a disc. I think perhaps Toast will need to be updated to work properly with OS High Sierra and with this new disc recorder. I would appreciate any comments or suggestions. I wonder if anyone else is having trouble with Toast 16.

I have another disc burner for Blu-ray discs, and that works fine with the computer and Toast 16.

Thank you.

5 answers to this question

13 hours ago, johnwchurch said:

Toast will recognize the burner for a short time and then revert to the message that no recorder is attached. 

It might be that the drive is put into ‘sleep-mode’ after a while, rendering it inaccessible. You may have to disable "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible" in Energy Saver. If so, this may be a characteristic of the unit.

My second thought is to check the connection. I think your external optical drive (this one?) might be connected through USB 3, correct? Try a different cable, different port, or even connecting to a different computer, and re-affirm its power supply.

I think perhaps Toast will need to be updated to work properly with OS High Sierra and with this new disc recorder.

Do you have latest version? If not, update to 16.1 (build 4867). It is said to have High Sierra compatibility fixes.

I have another disc burner for Blu-ray discs, and that works fine with the computer and Toast 16.

The other burner seems to indicate that the issue lies with the new burner (and/or its connections). Not the OS or Toast itself. 

Thanks for all the responses. I hope it is not the burner as it has been replaced. The original showed no power when connected and OWC replaced everything. The power cord has also been replaced. I will try the other suggestions. Thanks again! Would like to get this thing going.

Old Archiver....Makes sense that the issue is with the burner since I can make discs with the Blu-Ray burner. I downloaded "BURN' software and had the same issue using that, which also suggests that neither the computer nor Toast is the problem. I have written to OWC to see if they will test the Mercury Pro burner for me.

Thanks again.

I have the Mercury Pro DVD/blu-ray player burner from OWC and they sent out the 2 blu-ray disc(Phillips) ones and I purchased and used roxio toast titanium pro 16 to burn a Blu-ray Disc and very briefly looked at the result on my laser set top dvd/blu-ray player and from what I saw it looked ok....it took ages to encode.....then burn...the dual fans on my Mac Pro were caning it full on during process but apple have built in shutdown mode in case of overheat and I use an app to monitor CPU...etc...I just leave the fan settings alone in the app just use it to monitor as its best to leave them at apple factory set.

God knows what’s going to happen when I burn a m-disc BD 50GB disc....I think I will have to wait until winter time......but if you run time machine with time capsule switch off auto/TM backups and energy saver settings don’t let your Mac go to sleep at all don’t close laptop lid....apparently burning a 50 GB m-disc BD is system/resources intensive but as long as the fans are going then Apple said it will be ok.

Regarding my questions about Toast and a new Mercury burner, it turned out that the burner had a problem. It was tested and repaired by OWC and after that, all works well. Thanks again for your comments.