phyljohn

Toast 16 distorting standard definition video

Question

I am using an ADVC-100 bridge (analogue to digital converter) to capture video from a cable box and recording the ADVC output with QuickTime 7. The ADVC outputs .dv format and QuickTime 7 records it as a .mov file. I then edit the file and burn it using Toast. I also convert the .mov file to mp4 using other software. The problem is the image in either burned DVD or .toast disc image from Toast 16 is sightly distorted and seems slightly elongated horizontally. As I understand it standard definition (SD) TV has an aspect ratio of 4:3 consisting of 720 x 480 pixels (3:2) but the actual image appears as 640 x 480 (4:3) in size because the individual pixels are slightly rectangular (higher than wide) rather than square. A circle in the Toast 16 processed image appears slightly oval, wider than high. It seems to me that in the conversion process Toast is making the pixels square, which is producing the elongated image resulting in a 3:2 image ratio. I am using other software to convert the QuickTime 7 files to mp4 and the image comes out correctly for SD video.

Curiously, I did not have this problem with earlier versions of Toast such as Toast 8. Can anyone explain why Toast 16 doesn't process an SD video properly?

1 answer to this question

The same “rectangular pixels” apply to SD TV and DV and DVD. It shouldn’t matter, as the container file format has flags to set display (stretch) the 720×480 content to 4:3 (or 16:9), and never interpret it as square pixels. 
The conversion from dv mov to mp4, and mp4 to DVD may have changed all that, as mp4 has aspect ratio flags optionally, not mandatory. And from your description it is unclear if those conversions have resampled the pixels to other pixel dimensions or not.

Edited by theoldarchiver