cdanteek

Millions turn to net for pirate TV

Question

Estimates that must-see shows like Lost, Desperate Housewives and 24 are getting over a million illegal downloads per episode - up from around 150,000 a few years ago.

At the time of writing, the latest episode of CSI New York has more than 1,000 people exchanging the programme from just one source and less than 24 hours after broadcast in the US.

Article

34 answers to this question

I get to see Atlantis (starting Jan.), but it won't go south of the border? Not fair.

I say you get it anyway you can.

Although, I'm not sure how long they can milk this "let's make an even more menacing alien and insurmountable odds but the humans win anyway" senario. That's why Stargate is finally winding down.

Did someone mention this last season might not play out? Don't jinx it. I don't really care if it ends well, just as long as it ends.

And no, there's nothing wrong with downloading imho. I've taped a show and loaned the vhs tape to a friend who missed it. Sharing over the net is no different. Just more people. The network might complain that people won't watch the ads, but personally, when I tape something, ads just beg me to use the FF button. I'm not an ad fan.

Ads are definitely for puttering in the nearby kitchen, surfing and a fickle finger on FF. I don't use any of the products advertised so why pay any attention.

I get to see Atlantis (starting Jan.), but it won't go south of the border? Not fair.

I say you get it anyway you can.

Although, I'm not sure how long they can milk this "let's make an even more menacing alien and insurmountable odds but the humans win anyway" senario. That's why Stargate is finally winding down.

Did someone mention this last season might not play out? Don't jinx it. I don't really care if it ends well, just as long as it ends.

And no, there's nothing wrong with downloading imho. I've taped a show and loaned the vhs tape to a friend who missed it. Sharing over the net is no different. Just more people. The network might complain that people won't watch the ads, but personally, when I tape something, ads just beg me to use the FF button. I'm not an ad fan.

In the states, Atlantis and SG1 are to finish out this season starting March. However, Canada seems to already started airing the rest of this season of Atlantis and rumors are that even though this is the last season of SG1, it might not be shown here or anywhere. That remains to be seen. If they've been filmed, it would be a shame not to close the book on this show properly for those fans who lasted 10 years.

You have a choice of waiting until March for Atlantis or do what millions are doing and download the programs recorded from Canada.

Television and I went our separate ways a few decades ago. It doesn't really matter to me.

The biggest concern I have if someday at the border I get questioned and, not knowing anything about current TV, it is assumed I'm not a US citizen. The last time I was out of the country I asked a friend if I could call him - he was the lead morning radio newsman in a major city at the time.

Lynn

The biggest concern I have if someday at the border I get questioned and, not knowing anything about current TV, it is assumed I'm not a US citizen.

I got tired of that hassle to the north and submitted to a retnial scan.

Had to go see the feds in Chicago! Now I don't need to call anyone, they do.

cdanteek

I'm just waiting for January and a new season of 24..lol

24? Shouldn't it be called 256 or 512 by now?

I watched the first season, but was too emotionally exhausted to go on after that. :huh:

I'm still waiting for Jack O'Neill to pull out a Swiss Army Knife and do wonderful things :D

Mark you, I'm also waiting for Captain Archer to go 'Oh Boy!' :D

I'm still waiting for the final episodes of Odyssey 5 :)

Oh well, Hiro Nakamura will be back soon and the world should be saved.

24? Shouldn't it be called 256 or 512 by now?

I watched the first season, but was too emotionally exhausted to go on after that. :huh:

I'm still waiting for the final episodes of Odyssey 5 :)

Oh well, Hiro Nakamura will be back soon and the world should be saved.

Hiro is having trouble with his time machine brain at the moment. :D Won't say anymore if you've not seen it yet.