21 replies to this topic

#1 Rayi

Rayi

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:54 PM

I just bought some Dual layer DVD's, as they seem to be getting more affordable. But In creator Classic 7.5. I am not able to burn 8.11 gb of data on a dual layer; I need to remove around 190mb in order for it to fit.  It is saying I require another DVD. yet I can easily burn that same data on 2  regular DVD's. I am confused about the 7.9 gb that is on the properties of that dual layer. I thought you had 8.5 gig of space on a Dual?  If anyone can give some insight on this, I sure would appreciate it.
ASUS A7N8X E, AMD Barton 3200+ 400FSB, 3 gig RAM, WinXP Pro, EVGA e-GeForce 7600GS 256mb AGP, Benq LightScribe DW1625 GBGA

#2 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,250 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 04:17 AM

Rayi,

You need to know that a double-layer DVD holds less than twice the capacity of a single-layer disc.

A single-layer DVD holds around 4,700,000,000 bytes
A double-layer DVD will hold around 8,500,000,000 bytes (less than double the above capacity)

Creator Classic 7.5 calls those capacities 4.7 GB and 8.5 GB, (calling 1,000,000,000 bytes a GB).

-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Note: The original binary gigabyte was 1024x x1024 x 1024 bytes, or 1,073,741,824 bytes and not 1 million bytes. Many people still use the old value, and when that is used those disc capacities become 4.38 and 7.92 GB.

This can be terribly confusing, and if you're trying to calculate what will fit on a disc you need to know how big the KB, MB, and GBs are that you're trying to work with.

Careful people are now using the notation 'GiB' (gibibyte) for this original larger number, but both standards are still in use and are often interchanged. You may well find that Windows calls your "200 GB" hard drive 186 GBs. This is because it holds about 200,000,000,000 bytes, or 186 GiB.
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
BENQ DW1640, in XP Pro and Windows 7

As a very wise man told me, "You do it until . . . . ."

#3 Rayi

Rayi

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:16 PM

Thanks for your response. I guess all we need to know is that you really only have 7.96 gb of free space in terms of Windows. For some reason, I didn't think about that with regular DVD's before and they are only 4.38 gb and not 4.7. I find that the more I get in DVD media, the less I like it. I will be glad to move towards something better. I have found it to be unreliable.
ASUS A7N8X E, AMD Barton 3200+ 400FSB, 3 gig RAM, WinXP Pro, EVGA e-GeForce 7600GS 256mb AGP, Benq LightScribe DW1625 GBGA

#4 malatekid

malatekid

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,654 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:25 PM

J

View PostRayi, on Nov 30 2006, 11:16 PM, said:

Thanks for your response. I guess all we need to know is that you really only have 7.96 gb of free space in terms of Windows. For some reason, I didn't think about that with regular DVD's before and they are only 4.38 gb and not 4.7. I find that the more I get in DVD media, the less I like it. I will be glad to move towards something better. I have found it to be unreliable.

Just curious: unreliable in what sense?
"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances, and demonstrations for impressions"
   -- John Ruskin

Roxio Creator 2012 Pro
Dell XPS 410
Windows XP Professional,Service Pack 3
Intel 2 Duo Processor E6700 (2.66GHz,1066FSB) with 4MB cache
4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz
500GB Serial ATA II Hard Drive(7200RPM)

1 GB DDR3 EVGA GeForce GT 630
Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeMusic (D) Sound Card
Samsung SH-S203B, Asus DRW-2014L1T
Epson R300 printer, Epson 4490 Scanner

#5 Rayi

Rayi

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 04:03 AM

For example, I had converted all my home movies into DVD's but sometimes they freeze or don't play in my expensive newer Sony DVD player; yet they play fine in my mother's JVC less expensive DVD player. I used DVD+ and verbaitim DVD's. Very frustratring how they vary among different DVD players.

#6 james_hardin

james_hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,000 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 04:13 AM

I feel that Sony's seem to prefer 'dash' media.

My Sony Recorder will not play 'plus' DL media but my Sony Player will play the same disc…

One thing I have not tried since I first tested 'plus' DL on it was setting the Book Type to DVD-ROM. This is something that the Burner has to be able to do at the time of burn.

With 'dash' media it is always set that way during manufacture.

I will try to run a 'plus' DL that way and see if it improves its' compatibility.
Dell 8300 3.0ghz 1.5gb RAM 300gb & 200gb HDs
XP Pro/SP2
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 w/AGP8X

#7 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,067 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 05:09 AM

One thing I have not tried since I first tested 'plus' DL on it was setting the Book Type to DVD-ROM.
This is something that the Burner has to be able to do at the time of burn.

With 'dash' media it is always set that way during manufacture.

There are three different DVD recordable formats DVD-R RW, DVD+R RW and DVD-RAM. Booktype field identifies the disc as either a DVD-ROM, DVD+R(W) or a DVD-R(W) disc and is for a big part responsible for the compatibility. Because this setting is overwritten during the DVD-R production process it can’t be modified afterwards, the laser of your DVD recorder simply can’t write to that part of the disc.  
So after burning a DVD-R, DVD+R, and a DVD+R Booktype changed to DVD-ROM. A disc identifier tool ( DVDinfoPro, Disc Identifer, CDDVDSpeed). The -R Disc & Booktype will be -R, the +R Disc & Booktype will be +R, and the +R Booktype changed to DVD-ROM, will read, Disc +R & Booktype DVD-ROM.

cdanteek
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here  How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here   Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista  
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!  

#8 ml

ml

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,048 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 06:23 AM

View PostRayi, on Nov 30 2006, 10:16 PM, said:

I find that the more I get in DVD media, the less I like it. I will be glad to move towards something better. I have found it to be unreliable.

Compatability can be a problem, but what's the alternative?    It's a great way to share home movies with friends.

You might try burning to an 'image file' first (DVD Builder Advanced Settings) and then use Disk Copier to burn the 'image file' (.iso)  to a DVD.    It makes making multiple copies easier and by separating the encoding and burning process, you increase the odds of you getting a good 'burn'.

( And unlike James' experience, one of my friend's has a Sony Player that prefers +R media. )
ml

flying squirrel......"It's more of a gliding thing....."

Intel® Core™2 Duo 2.2 Ghz desktop processor E4500;
3GB DDR2 memory;
DL DVD±RW/CD-RW drive;
500GB SATA 7200 rpm hard drive;
Windows Vista Home Premium ,
ATI RADEON HD 2400,Built-in TV tuner , High-definition audio (8-speaker support), HDMI
Multiformat media reader,
IEEE 1394 (FireWire) interface and 6 high-speed USB 2.0 ports,
PCI card with 4 USB 2.0 and 2 IEEE 1394 ports,
10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet

#9 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,067 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 06:33 AM

And unlike James' experience, one of my friend's has a Sony Player that prefers +R media.

My Sony DVP NS70H, a year old. Will play DVD - R, + R, and  + R DL Booktype set to DVD-Rom with no layer break problem.

cdanteek
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

#10 ml

ml

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,048 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 12:27 PM

View Postcdanteek, on Dec 1 2006, 08:33 AM, said:

My Sony DVP NS70H, a year old. Will play DVD - R, + R, and + R DL Booktype set to DVD-Rom with no layer break problem.

cdanteek

Yup.  My friend has another Sony DVD player that will play all types of DVDs.

It's more of a DVD player problem than a DVD problem since the DVDs will play on a computer.
ml

3GB DDR2 memory;
DL DVD±RW/CD-RW drive;
ATI RADEON HD 2400,Built-in TV tuner , High-definition audio (8-speaker support), HDMI

#11 Rayi

Rayi

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 02:09 PM

I did later decide to redo them from .iso's but still had the problem for some reason. My daughters Panasonic DVD player also played them with no problem. Just this Sony DVP NS715P. I wish it would just quit working altogether. But, yea, I realize that there are no alternatives but none the less, I am hoping for something more reliable eventually. Perhaps that will never happen. Also, I thought, from an earlier thread  that the "+" format was suppose to be more compatible with Sony's DVD players. Dash formats seem have more problems.

#12 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,250 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 02:28 PM

I think you are just unfortunate enough to have a dodgy Sony, Rayi.
Personally, I don't trust them at all after the 'rootkit saga'.

And fwiw, the plus format seems to me to be technically better than the dash one (and much more up to the minute).
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
BENQ DW1640, in XP Pro and Windows 7

As a very wise man told me, "You do it until . . . . ."

#13 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,735 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 05:40 PM

View PostRayi, on Dec 1 2006, 05:09 PM, said:

I did later decide to redo them from .iso's but still had the problem for some reason. My daughters Panasonic DVD player also played them with no problem. Just this Sony DVP NS715P. I wish it would just quit working altogether. But, yea, I realize that there are no alternatives but none the less, I am hoping for something more reliable eventually. Perhaps that will never happen. Also, I thought, from an earlier thread that the "+" format was suppose to be more compatible with Sony's DVD players. Dash formats seem have more problems.

I have a Sony DVP NS715P and I have not had any problem playing any kind of DVD whether +/- or +/-RW. If it played on my computer it also played on the stand-alone DVD player.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#14 ml

ml

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,048 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 05:50 PM

Well, in that case, since Walt has the same player and is having no problems......

Have you checked to see if there are any updates for your DVD burner from the manufacturer?
ml

3GB DDR2 memory;
DL DVD±RW/CD-RW drive;

#15 Rayi

Rayi

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 08:25 AM

I guess there must be something wrong with this Sony DVP NS715P standalone player. Maybe it needs cleaned.

#16 james_hardin

james_hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,000 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 09:16 AM

Doubtful that it will make any difference… There are different firmware levels for Players just like Burners. Depending on when it was made, the firmware applied was current for that time.

Player compatibility issues started when the first burner/media hit the market. Things have gotten better but I really doubt we will ever have 100% compatibility.

Look at CDs! After 10+ years of Music CD burning there are still those having trouble getting a Music CD to play!

DVD's will not reach 100% and BlueRay will muddy the waters even more.

I just tried a DVD+R DL set to DVD-ROM and it still will not play in my Sony RDR-GX7 Recorder/Player.

You may want to hang on to the 'problem' discs and next time you are shopping for a Player, take them along with you.
XP Pro/SP2

#17 Rayi

Rayi

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 11:11 AM

Also, regarding Dual layer DVD's, when I am doing a data DVD, it gives me a warning to finish the session; it says it may not be compatible in another DVD player and it may even damage it. I hate to heed this warning because I want to do later sessions. I wonder if anyone has had any experience with moving data DVD's do other DVD players on other computers. (PS. I added this message before and it didn't take before. I hope it is not repetitive.)

#18 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,067 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 11:26 AM

Also, regarding Dual layer DVD's, when I am doing a data DVD,

Rayi.
Are these -R DL or +R DL?

cdanteek
cd
Spoiler

#19 james_hardin

james_hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,000 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 04:11 PM

That would be, this warning?

I get that with the 'plus' DL media. (neither of my writers will write Session to 'dash' DL media)

Both of my burners can read it but the DVD-ROM's in my other PC's cannot. No surprise there, they can't read DVD RW's either!

As long as you will have a DVD Burner or access to one, there should be no problem accessing the media.

Attached Images

• DL_Sessions_Utility___Warning.jpg

Edited by james_hardin, 02 December 2006 - 04:12 PM.

XP Pro/SP2

#20 Rayi

Rayi

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 08:09 PM

I am using verbatim DVD+R DL. Now the DVD rom that I was using it in at work has no problem reading this DVD+R DL but I did finalize it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users