Sign in to follow this  
nns1511

Jam 6 crashes at the end of a cd burn or save as disc image

Question

Hello,

Jam 6 crashes at the end of a cd burn or save as disc image. The dialog to eject or mount appears, but Jam doesn't respond, the screen is frozen and Jam must be forced to quit. The disc actually seems to be recorded ok. I tried reinstalling the Jam 6.0.3 update, but no good.

Toast started doing this also, so I bought Toast 7. It's working well now. Jam is not.

I'm on a G5 DP 2.5 machine; OS 10.4.8.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chas

4 answers to this question

I haven't had Jam crash. Try deleting the Jam plist file from your user/library/preferences folder. Other than that all I can think of are the usual OS maintenance routines - cleaning caches, running Disk Warrior, repairing permissions, possibly downloading and apply the Combined System Update.

If you create a new user and install and run Jam from that user account I wonder if the crashes will happen.

Thanks for the reply. Those were some good steps, but after trashing the plist, I tried reinstalling Jam 6 from the disc. It made no difference either. I'm working with ProTools and the Digi Core Audio Driver being activated before Jam seemed to work. I might be on to something, but I'm not sure of the exact orocedure for 100% reliability. I also don't know why suddenly Jam quit working after months of stable burning.

Again, thanks for the help.

Chas

Thanks for the reply. Those were some good steps, but after trashing the plist, I tried reinstalling Jam 6 from the disc. It made no difference either. I'm working with ProTools and the Digi Core Audio Driver being activated before Jam seemed to work. I might be on to something, but I'm not sure of the exact orocedure for 100% reliability. I also don't know why suddenly Jam quit working after months of stable burning.

Again, thanks for the help.

Chas

I am having the same (or very similar) problem. I am also using Pro Tools, and Jam used to work fine, so maybe it is a Pro Tools update that broke it. I am also getting strange behavior from the Digi Core Audio app., in that I have selected built-in audio in the System Prefs, and Core Audio still launches occasionally.

Here's my problem: Mine crashes and freezes at the beginning of a CD burn or at the end of a Disk Image save. The screen freezes and I can't quit or even force quit the program. It looks like the CD's and Disk image are made, but I haven't tested them yet.

I tried several different disks and a couple of different Jam files with no luck. I did make a new Jam file with the same sound files as the one that was crashing (without changing the order, putting in the CD-Text, Mastering Info, or ISRC codes), and it worked fine. As soon as I changed the order, put in the exact pause lengths, the CD-Text, Mastering Info, and ISRC codes, it wouldn't burn without freezing.

I have to hold the button in on my computer to get it to shut down after these Jam freezes. NOT GOOD.

I am running Jam 6.0.3, Mac OS 10.4.8, G5 dual 2.0 gHz, Pro Tools 7.2

EDIT:

I realized that I had sucessfully burned some CD's a few days earlier with the same songs, but without the ISRC and UPC codes, so somehow those are what is making it freeze. Also, after a lot of testing, I was only able to get it working with an external FireWire CD burner. FYI: my internal drive that won't burn Jam CD's with the codes is a Sony DVD RW DW-Q28A (aka 16x Superdrive)

By the way, Toast works fine for me, but again, it doesn't record ISRC or UPC codes.

Edited by ctone

I am having the same (or very similar) problem. I am also using Pro Tools, and Jam used to work fine, so maybe it is a Pro Tools update that broke it. I am also getting strange behavior from the Digi Core Audio app., in that I have selected built-in audio in the System Prefs, and Core Audio still launches occasionally.

Here's my problem: Mine crashes and freezes at the beginning of a CD burn or at the end of a Disk Image save. The screen freezes and I can't quit or even force quit the program. It looks like the CD's and Disk image are made, but I haven't tested them yet.

I tried several different disks and a couple of different Jam files with no luck. I did make a new Jam file with the same sound files as the one that was crashing (without changing the order, putting in the CD-Text, Mastering Info, or ISRC codes), and it worked fine. As soon as I changed the order, put in the exact pause lengths, the CD-Text, Mastering Info, and ISRC codes, it wouldn't burn without freezing.

I have to hold the button in on my computer to get it to shut down after these Jam freezes. NOT GOOD.

I am running Jam 6.0.3, Mac OS 10.4.8, G5 dual 2.0 gHz, Pro Tools 7.2

EDIT:

I realized that I had sucessfully burned some CD's a few days earlier with the same songs, but without the ISRC and UPC codes, so somehow those are what is making it freeze. Also, after a lot of testing, I was only able to get it working with an external FireWire CD burner. FYI: my internal drive that won't burn Jam CD's with the codes is a Sony DVD RW DW-Q28A (aka 16x Superdrive)

By the way, Toast works fine for me, but again, it doesn't record ISRC or UPC codes.

My experience is that if I try to burn a CD with BOTH cd-text AND isrc codes, Jam will crash. One or the other is okay, but not both.