16 replies to this topic

#1 jojoand

jojoand

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 08:59 AM

I cannot find a way to uninstall Sonic Back Up My PC which is installed with Roxio Creater 8.  MS states it is incompatible with Vista and should be installed before installing Vista.  I can uninstall the Roxio backup file program, but the full Sonic back up program does not appear in the Uninstall Menu nor is it listed separately in Roxio's menu when you go to "Change" on the Roxio Suite.  And it is installed and usable.

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,348 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 09:46 AM

View Postjojoand, on Dec 21 2006, 10:59 AM, said:

I cannot find a way to uninstall Sonic Back Up My PC which is installed with Roxio Creater 8.  MS states it is incompatible with Vista and should be installed before installing Vista.  I can uninstall the Roxio backup file program, but the full Sonic back up program does not appear in the Uninstall Menu nor is it listed separately in Roxio's menu when you go to "Change" on the Roxio Suite.  And it is installed and usable.

Any help would be appreciated.

I am not sure how to uninstall it in EMC 8, because I don't have EMC 8 loaded.

The final version of Vista hasn't been released yet, but I doubt that the final version will be compatible with BUMP and a slug of other programs and hardware.  Vist is something that I will avoid forever, if possible.

Edited by grandpabruce, 21 December 2006 - 09:46 AM.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

Main System:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard; Cooler Master ATCS 840 Case
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
PLEXTOR Black DVD Burner, Model PX-880SA; Pioneer Black 8X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R Burner
EVGA GEFORCE GTX 670 2GB Video Card
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

#3 gi7omy

gi7omy

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,033 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 07:48 AM

I presume you're talking of installing Vista on top of an existing OS

Actually, 'upgrading' an existing OS is generally a very bad idea - it can (and does) cause a lot of problems. The best way is to back up all your data, go download the necessary drivers and then format the hard drive ready for a clean installation.

If you are using an 'upgrade' CD you may feel that you have to install over an older OS - this isn't the case. What you do is install the new OS on a clean drive or partition and it will prompt you at some stage to insert your original OS CD - it then checks that it's valid, spits it out, you put the new OS CD/DVD back in and away it goes
If it ain't broke, fiddle with it until it breaks, then fiddle with it until you get it fixed

"Rincewind could scream for mercy in nineteen languages and just scream in another forty-four "

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee; that will do them in."

“Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.” — Mitch Ratcliffe

Daithi

Home Brew computer
Intel I7 950 on Gigabyte X58A UD3R mobo
12 GB Three Channel DDRAM
Radeon HD4850 512 MB GDR3 graphics
Signalink USB Audio Codec for ham radio connection
1 x 160 GB, 1 x 330 GB, 1 x 400 GB IDE drives
4 x 250 GB SATA 2
LG HL-DT-ST GGW-H20L BD-RE drive
22" Acer P223W monitor

EMC 7.5 on Windows XP 32 SP3
EMC10 on Windows XP64 SP2
Creator 2011 on Windows 7 Ultimate
ECD6 on Gentoo Linux (running under VMWare)

#4 jd91651

jd91651

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:55 PM

I just ran into this tonight when running the Vista Upgrade Advisor program (I did it just for ducks to see if my pc would make the grade). Since I did NOT install this backup program I got real interested in why it was on my pc. Here is what I know (so far).

1. Sonic backup MyPC is installed when you install Roxio 8

2. It is installed EVEN IF YOU UNSELECTED the option to install roxio backup.
    (basically it is installed no matter what ... thanks roxio for listening to your customers requests)

3. The correct way to uninstall it "should be" to run add/remove programs and select Roxio Easy Media Creator 8 Suite then press the change button and UNselect the roxio backup. When you proceed it would be uninstalled.
IF you originally installed it as part of Roxio you "might" be able to get rid of it that way. In my case I did not select to install it so that box already shows that I don't have it installed (even though it was installed behind my back) so that won't work for me.

4. The actual app is located in \Program Files\Sonic\Backup MyPC (and a few other places such as the windows dir) and a ton of registry entries exist for it (111 at my last count on my pc).

5. The CCLeaner program someone suggested above does indead show an uninstall entry for
   Sonic Backup MyPC and it runs the uninstaller BUT the uninstaller does not uninstall the program. The entry
   remains and so do the files. It is theoretically possible to remove the install/unistall keys in the registry and
   "trick" windows into thinking it isn't installed but that is a very dirty way to do it and I don't recommend it
   because item 6 below is better and that will leave a lot of files laying around and reg entries too.

---------------
6. The only sure way I know to unstinstall it so far (short of hacking the registry and deleting the files    
manually) is to uninstall Roxio 8 completely.

Then you should be able to install Vista.
Afterwards you can try to re-install Roxio 8 as suggested by the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor.
(THIS ASSUMES ROXIO 8 IS COMPATABLE with Vista...I haven't checked into that yet because I'm not going to Vista for a while,  so I don't know if it is!!!)

#5 marlinsinger

marlinsinger

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:24 AM

Roxio Backup and Backup MyPC are not the same programs.

To uninstall BUMP, there is only one way to do this as far as I know.
1. Burn a CD of all of the EMC 8 install disc with everything except the directory for Backup MyPC.

2. Uninstall all of EMC 8.

3 Reinstall EMC 8 from the disk you burned, not the original. By it not being there, it will not install.

4. Reinstall the update if needed.

You do not need to make a copy of the contents disk, just the main install disk.
Marlin

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66ghz
Intel DG965WH MB - Onboard HD Audio
BFG GeForce 8800GTS OC 640MB Graphics Card
Western Digital 250GB SATA 300 main HDD
Western Digital 250GB SATA 300 secondary HDD
Western Digital 400GB SATA 300 HDD --| All in an AMS 4 drive
Western Digital 500GB SATA 300 HDD    | eSATA enclosure
2 Samsung 500GB SATA 300 HDD       --| JBOD setup
3GB DDR2-800  memory
Lite-On LH-20A1S DVD Burner
Lite-On LH-20A1L DVD Burner
Windows XP Home SP2
Gateway 24" FPD2485W Monitor
HP Photosmart D5360 Inkjet
HP 3800 Color Laserjet
HP 4890 Scanjet

#6 tbrewst

tbrewst

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,118 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 07:21 AM

#6) Version 8 is not now nor probably will ever be Vista compatible.V9 will have a fix distributed that will make it Vista compatible sometime after Vista comes out.
RIP Johnny Winter

Terry

64 bitWindows 8.1 OS
AMD FX-8320 8 core 3.5Ghz processor with Arctic Freezer 64 Pro cooling fan
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 AM3+ motherboard
Galaxy  GeForce GTX 550 Ti video card with 1Gb memory
8Gb G Skill Ripjaws Series DDR3 1600 RAM
120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD drive
1Tb Hitachi SATA hard drive
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray drive
Lite-On iHAS224-06 SATA DVD drive
Rosewill Destroyer case
Cambridge Soundworks THX 5.1 speaker system
Onboard Realtek HD audio
I-inc iH-252HPB 25" widescreen monitor connected via HDMI
Samsung 2525W Laser Printer

#7 jojoand

jojoand

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:17 AM

I'm with you that Roxio should never allow a program to be installed when you ask that it not be...nor give no way to uninstall a program it has installed.  At least someone else shares the problem, so perhaps we can get Roxio to fix it.
\

View Postjd91651, on Jan 16 2007, 11:55 PM, said:

I just ran into this tonight when running the Vista Upgrade Advisor program (I did it just for ducks to see if my pc would make the grade). Since I did NOT install this backup program I got real interested in why it was on my pc. Here is what I know (so far).

1. Sonic backup MyPC is installed when you install Roxio 8

2. It is installed EVEN IF YOU UNSELECTED the option to install roxio backup.
    (basically it is installed no matter what ... thanks roxio for listening to your customers requests)

3. The correct way to uninstall it "should be" to run add/remove programs and select Roxio Easy Media Creator 8 Suite then press the change button and UNselect the roxio backup. When you proceed it would be uninstalled.
IF you originally installed it as part of Roxio you "might" be able to get rid of it that way. In my case I did not select to install it so that box already shows that I don't have it installed (even though it was installed behind my back) so that won't work for me.

4. The actual app is located in \Program Files\Sonic\Backup MyPC (and a few other places such as the windows dir) and a ton of registry entries exist for it (111 at my last count on my pc).

5. The CCLeaner program someone suggested above does indead show an uninstall entry for
   Sonic Backup MyPC and it runs the uninstaller BUT the uninstaller does not uninstall the program. The entry
   remains and so do the files. It is theoretically possible to remove the install/unistall keys in the registry and
   "trick" windows into thinking it isn't installed but that is a very dirty way to do it and I don't recommend it
   because item 6 below is better and that will leave a lot of files laying around and reg entries too.

---------------
6. The only sure way I know to unstinstall it so far (short of hacking the registry and deleting the files    
manually) is to uninstall Roxio 8 completely.

Then you should be able to install Vista.
Afterwards you can try to re-install Roxio 8 as suggested by the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor.
(THIS ASSUMES ROXIO 8 IS COMPATABLE with Vista...I haven't checked into that yet because I'm not going to Vista for a while,  so I don't know if it is!!!)

#8 marlinsinger

marlinsinger

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:26 AM

View Postjojoand, on Jan 17 2007, 04:17 PM, said:

I'm with you that Roxio should never allow a program to be installed when you ask that it not be...nor give no way to uninstall a program it has installed.  At least someone else shares the problem, so perhaps we can get Roxio to fix it.
\
As I stated, Roxio Backup and Backup MyPC are not the same thing. As far as Bump is concerned, you are not given the option to install it or not. Like it or not that is the way they did Bump.

Edited by marlinsinger, 17 January 2007 - 09:27 AM.

Marlin

3GB DDR2-800  memory
Windows XP Home SP2
HP 3800 Color Laserjet
HP 4890 Scanjet

#9 dfosbenner

dfosbenner

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:25 AM

Same issue here, and no way to uninstall it.  Ridiculous.

#10 james_hardin

james_hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,000 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE (dfosbenner @ Jan 8 2008, 11:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Same issue here, and no way to uninstall it.  Ridiculous.

Read the whole thread…

Yes it can be done, everything was explained…
Dell 8300 3.0ghz 1.5gb RAM 300gb & 200gb HDs
XP Pro/SP2
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 w/AGP8X

#11 dfosbenner

dfosbenner

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:16 AM

QUOTE (james_hardin @ Jan 8 2008, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Read the whole thread…

Yes it can be done, everything was explained…

First off, I read the whole thread before posting, which is what I always do.
Second, the "solution" is hardly that, especially if you have it installed on multiple PCs (over 10 in my company).  Also, if you have Roxio 9 or 10 installed, as we do on a couple, it's even MORE work.

Roxio dropped the ball on this, plain and simple.

#12 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,348 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:45 AM

QUOTE (dfosbenner @ Jan 8 2008, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First off, I read the whole thread before posting, which is what I always do.
Second, the "solution" is hardly that, especially if you have it installed on multiple PCs (over 10 in my company).  Also, if you have Roxio 9 or 10 installed, as we do on a couple, it's even MORE work.

Roxio dropped the ball on this, plain and simple.

Roxio didn't make Vista, and Vista hadn't even been released, when the thread you dug up, was started over a year ago.

I agree that uninstalling the program can be a PITA.
Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

Main System:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard; Cooler Master ATCS 840 Case
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
PLEXTOR Black DVD Burner, Model PX-880SA; Pioneer Black 8X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R Burner
EVGA GEFORCE GTX 670 2GB Video Card
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

#13 dfosbenner

dfosbenner

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:57 AM

QUOTE (grandpabruce @ Jan 8 2008, 10:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Roxio didn't make Vista, and Vista hadn't even been released, when the thread you dug up, was started over a year ago.

I agree that uninstalling the program can be a PITA.

I neglected to mention I'm using XP...

#14 dfosbenner

dfosbenner

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:19 AM

QUOTE (marlinsinger @ Jan 17 2007, 03:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Roxio Backup and Backup MyPC are not the same programs.

To uninstall BUMP, there is only one way to do this as far as I know.
1. Burn a CD of all of the EMC 8 install disc with everything except the directory for Backup MyPC.

2. Uninstall all of EMC 8.

3 Reinstall EMC 8 from the disk you burned, not the original. By it not being there, it will not install.

4. Reinstall the update if needed.

You do not need to make a copy of the contents disk, just the main install disk.

I tried this.  I took a fresh PC that hasn't had Roxio 8 installed before.  I removed the folder for BUMP from the source location, and ran setup.  The install routine produced an error saying it couldn't find the folder for BUMP, and installation aborted, nothing installed.  
So I still don't know how to install Roxio 8 (on XP), without BUMP, nor how to remove BUMP once it's there.

#15 marlinsinger

marlinsinger

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:25 AM

QUOTE (dfosbenner @ Jan 29 2008, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I tried this.  I took a fresh PC that hasn't had Roxio 8 installed before.  I removed the folder for BUMP from the source location, and ran setup.  The install routine produced an error saying it couldn't find the folder for BUMP, and installation aborted, nothing installed.  
So I still don't know how to install Roxio 8 (on XP), without BUMP, nor how to remove BUMP once it's there.

Sorry, don't know why that didn't work for you. Worked fine for me with EMC 8 when I had it.
Marlin

3GB DDR2-800  memory
Windows XP Home SP2
HP 3800 Color Laserjet
HP 4890 Scanjet

#16 dfosbenner

dfosbenner

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE (marlinsinger @ Jan 29 2008, 11:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry, don't know why that didn't work for you. Worked fine for me with EMC 8 when I had it.

No problem, I appreciate your efforts.  At this point, I'm not going to worry about it.

#17 marlinsinger

marlinsinger

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:38 AM

QUOTE (dfosbenner @ Jan 29 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No problem, I appreciate your efforts.  At this point, I'm not going to worry about it.

Something else you may try. Create the CD with the directory for BUMP, but leave it empty. As far as leaving it, it will do nothing but take up a little space.
Marlin

3GB DDR2-800  memory