itsme51

Buying new printer

Question

I am shopping for a new printer. Not interested in an all-in-one. Looking for an inkjet that will print BW documents and good color photos. I don't care about speed of printing, how much paper the paper tray holds, etc. Main concerns are reliability and color quality. Any recommendations for a decent printer under $150?

38 answers to this question

One note of caution: You're probably going to need the adapter that comes with your Memory Stick (Pro) Duo. I had the unfortunate experience of having a friend put a memory stick in the computer's card reader without the adapter, and the memory card reader ATE IT!

Thanks for the tip. My son bought me a 1G card for the camera. I mentioned the adapter and he bought that too. Thanks!

Glad you got everything sorted out

BUT, bear in mind

Do NOT stand in front of the moving cars when taking happy snappies :)

HA - As a matter of fact, at the last event I attended I did my best to get REALLY close to the track and was apprehended by track security. They gave me the same advice you just did !!

Wonder if HP is changing their strategy or just a few models? My first inkjet was an HP that wasn't even color! :) Back in those days, it was really easy to refill the cartridges yourself.

:huh:

I too have been concidering buying a new printer.

Epson StylusPhoto R220/5760x1440dpi 15ppm usb2 looks interesting at arround £70.00

The good thing for Home movie makers is that it gives you the choice to print photos/labels directly onto printable cd or dvd disks.

I might get one myself.

:)

I too have been concidering buying a new printer.

Epson StylusPhoto R220/5760x1440dpi 15ppm usb2 looks interesting at arround £70.00

The good thing for Home movie makers is that it gives you the choice to print photos/labels directly onto printable cd or dvd disks.

I might get one myself.

I have an Epson R220. Makes very nice pictures on photo paper, and does a nice job printing directly to printable discs. Just make sure you let the ink dry before spinning up the disc. If you don't, it turns into "spin art".

Just make sure you let the ink dry before spinning up the disc. If you don't, it turns into "spin art".

Question, how long does that take, letting the ink dry?

cd

I think you'll get better (truer) colors on the white media.

I saw the HP 5160 at Staples for $89 and thought

I would go for one! Now I know what media to order.

Thanks Dave,

cd

I saw the HP 5160 at Staples for $89

Change of plan, Sundays add Office Depot had it for 74.99. I now own it.

cd

Thanks Marlin,

I use Rima.com and Supermediastore.com often.

If I need any pointers I see in your sig, your qualified.

cd

Thanks Marlin,

I use Rima.com and Supermediastore.com often.

If I need any pointers I see in your sig, your qualified.

cd

You will like the printer. Get the #99 color photo cartridge for picture if you do that kind of stuff. Also, they have #100, which is gray scale photo cartridge that I have used on black and white pictures and it come out nicer that with the regular cartridges. It does do a nice job on CD/DVDs, which, that with the photos are the main reason I got it. I use the laser for everything else. Faster and automatic duplex.

Edited by marlinsinger