• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 d71lcm56

d71lcm56

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 09:07 PM

I read with interest a post by skylinepro about Jam ruining his optical drives. Reason being I had a similar experience a few months ago and to this day am still not sure why my superdrives died. I installed a Pioneer DVR-111 drive. I had used it for about 5 days when it stopped burning in the middle of the disc. I hit the abort button and nothing happened. I tried to force quit, nothing happened. I had to power down the computer and restart. After that the drive didn't work. Jam, Toast, iTunes & System Profiler all recognized the drive but the drive could not read any media - CDs, DVDs, prerecorded discs - nothing. I had to replace the drive. I installed a Pioneer DVR-109. A few days later the exact same thing happened. I reinstalled the original drive and noticed that when Jam started to write the disc lead-in it hung up, so I was able to abort the disc. & uninstalled Jam, & Toast. I removed all the files I could find pertaining to them and just used iTunes to burn CDs. About 3 weeks ago I installed another DVR-109 and have been burning CDs with iTunes with no problem. Yesterday, for the hell of it, I reinstalled Toast & Jam, tried to burn a disc and it got hung up at the disc lead-in again. It sure seems like the problem is with Toast & Jam, as iTunes and burning from the finder works fine. I didn't think a application should affect a piece of hardware, but after the way things have worked out it sure seems that way.

Apple PowerMac Dual 1 Ghz, OS X 10.4.8, Jam 6.0.1, Toast 6.0.5

#2 leeshideaway

leeshideaway

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 02:18 PM

[quote name='d71lcm56' post='78169' date='Dec 24 2006, 09:07 PM']I read with interest a post by skylinepro about Jam ruining his optical drives. Reason being I had a similar experience a few months ago and to this day am still not sure why my superdrives died. I installed a Pioneer DVR-111 drive. I had used it for about 5 days when it stopped burning in the middle of the disc. I hit the abort button and nothing happened. I tried to force quit, nothing happened. I had to power down the computer and restart. After that the drive didn't work. Jam, Toast, iTunes & System Profiler all recognized the drive but the drive could not read any media - CDs, DVDs, prerecorded discs - nothing. I had to replace the drive. I installed a Pioneer DVR-109. A few days later the exact same thing happened. I reinstalled the original drive and noticed that when Jam started to write the disc lead-in it hung up, so I was able to abort the disc. & uninstalled Jam, & Toast. I removed all the files I could find pertaining to them and just used iTunes to burn CDs. About 3 weeks ago I installed another DVR-109 and have been burning CDs with iTunes with no problem. Yesterday, for the hell of it, I reinstalled Toast & Jam, tried to burn a disc and it got hung up at the disc lead-in again. It sure seems like the problem is with Toast & Jam, as iTunes and burning from the finder works fine. I didn't think a application should affect a piece of hardware, but after the way things have worked out it sure seems that way.

Apple PowerMac Dual 1 Ghz, OS X 10.4.8, Jam 6.0.1, Toast 6.0.5[/quote]

Hi,

I can't comment on issues others have had, but I have been using Toast 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 ,  Jam 5 - 6,   Popcorn 1 -2  on Macs with Pioneer Superdrives 106D, 107D, & 111D.

Every drive still works fine so far.

(various OS versions - etc....)

Lee

#3 skylinepro

skylinepro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:18 PM

Everything works fine until you try to abort a burn.  Doing so will kill your Pioneer drive.  I just killed my THIRD drive today, a Pioneer DVR-112.  NEVER NEVER NEVER ABORT A BURN.  ROXIO DENIES THIS IS A PROBLEM, WON'T FIX IT AND WILL KEEP YOU HOLDING ON THE TECH SUPPORT LINE WITHOUT ANSWERING.  (20 minutes holding on (866) 279-7694 with no anwser 8/9/07)  Thank you d71... for at least proving I'm not the only one with this problem.

#4 freshburn

freshburn

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:34 PM

It's impossible to ruin a drive by aborting.  If you are having problems like this, you have some system problem unrelated to Toast causing the drive to fail.

#5 dead superdrive

dead superdrive

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:05 PM

Hello

turns out the same thing happened to me (twice over a year) i didn't think it was linked to the software at first as my drive was 1 year old the first time, but when it happened today with a 3 month old drive and the same "Abort" circumstance, I started googling around and only found this thread.

So guys, you are not alone !

I have a question for you though, do you have like me TWO drives mounted in your Mac ?

I now use an Intel MacPro now with 2 Apple fitted Pioneer DVR 111 drives, when my previous drive died, it was on a G4 desktop with also 2 drives fitted, and i was using a Pioneer to burn that ended up dying after a Toast abort, exactly as you describe it.

One other thing, I was burning audio on a black face CD when it last occured (not sure what it was a year ago, but could easily have been the same)

I'm on 10.4.11 now but was on an earlier version of Tiger on the G4
I use Toast 7.1.2

If any of you has found a solution please be kind to share, it seems Roxio just treats us as simpletons...

I can't re flash the firmware of the drive as this specific model needs to be done on a PC which I don't have easy access to, but if any of you succeeded in this, I might look harder into it !

In the meantime I'd advise everyone to think twice before hitting the abort button it does seem like a random event, but surely is an annoying one.

thanks

Nick

Edited by dead superdrive, 07 March 2008 - 05:06 PM.

#6 dead superdrive

dead superdrive

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:32 AM

More people having this problem, and not only with pioneer drives, which sort of points more towards some incompatibility between Toast and the OS (various versions too)

see here

and here too

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users