cdn1972

Importing Problem

Well I have my new system as stated below in my specs up and running including an onboard capture card instead of the poor dazzle usb one I had tried previously. I tried inputting some Christmas tapes from this year as a test project and it seems my ATI Video card has taken over and made all the files ATI Video types. The setting for Creator say to capture in AVI as the default on the screen but when trying to import the files for editing the system says unsupported file type. When I check the properties of the files sure enough they are ATI Video type. How do I change the settings so that when capturing video they are the regular AVI type? looking through the choices in the ATI programs I do not see an option for defaults etc.

Help!

Well I have my new system as stated below in my specs up and running including an onboard capture card instead of the poor dazzle usb one I had tried previously. I tried inputting some Christmas tapes from this year as a test project and it seems my ATI Video card has taken over and made all the files ATI Video types. The setting for Creator say to capture in AVI as the default on the screen but when trying to import the files for editing the system says unsupported file type. When I check the properties of the files sure enough they are ATI Video type. How do I change the settings so that when capturing video they are the regular AVI type? looking through the choices in the ATI programs I do not see an option for defaults etc.

Help!

Years ago I had an ATI card that captured in a proprietary format I couldn't use but ATI's library function had a program that would export it to a format I could. It's been awhile and I don't remember much but check on ATI's site and you may find out you already have a program installed on your system that you can use to export to a useable format.

Years ago I had an ATI card that captured in a proprietary format I couldn't use but ATI's library function had a program that would export it to a format I could. It's been awhile and I don't remember much but check on ATI's site and you may find out you already have a program installed on your system that you can use to export to a useable format.

I uninstalled the ATI video and sound program that came with the card but left the drivers for the graphics installed. This seems to have solved the ATIavi file program but it seems my capture card feed into my sound card is the audio problem I have no "LINE IN" Cd's etc play great so the sound card works but the line in function doesnt work. I can not access the settings either, I get a error code that says to repair in add and remove programs but I can't find the thing windows and microsoft says to install/uninstall. I did the settings on the sound card from the control panel but the error code still shows up and I can not access the sound panel for line in and the other sound settings.

Please identify your card and what ATI software did you uninstall?

cd

Please identify your card and what ATI software did you uninstall?

cd

My video card is a ATI Radeon 7000, I uninstalled the ati viewer suite. It made the video and music files default to their viewers. There was no available settings so I went into "Folder Options" in windows and set the files to Roxio first, then when they still did not capture sound I uninstalled the program and reset windows as the defaults. My problem is this is a new computer to me and I installed the video card and extra drive before loading any programs. I then opened Roxio and others after installing and they seemed to work. When I a few weeks later tried to actually capture and prepared to edit I found the no sound problem.

Problem identified!

It seems that the problem with the audio was a windows file problem all along. The file name escapes me (at work) but it was (sndvol.32exe) or something. The hackers use this file in windows Xp series to gain access to your machine so the later XP discs with SP2 do not load it as it's a feature most don't use. What it does is give you the volume icon and controls for the sound card. This has speaker volume/line in/mics/balance etc. The defaults are set to normal except line in is muted. Hence my problem! In order to get the controls you have to force your system to load this simple file from the CD then WALLA!

I now have sound on my captures, I can now sit down when I have time again and capture and edit my family VHS's to DVD. The only bad thing is the two weeks at Christmas spent monkeeing with the new puter was my capture/edit time. Hopefully this will help someone in the future.

Kevin

Guest ml

Thank you for sharing the solution to the problem.

I've never heard of that before and it seems like there should be some sort of warning message from Windows when you go to use that feature.

If you happen to remember the file name and how you forced it to load, please share it with us.