10 replies to this topic

#1 dcahill110

dcahill110

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:17 AM

This is copied directly from a Microsoft support page ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/125749 ) and leads me to believe that the issues I am having with EMC9 are related to a programming error on Roxio's part.

If anybody can refute this, please speak up....

Quote:

RESOLUTION
Calling a pure virtual function is a programming error, so you need to find the call to the pure virtual function and rewrite the code so it is not called.

:Endquote

Description of the R6025 run-time error in Visual C++
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 125749
Last Review : January 6, 2006
Revision : 6.0
This article was previously published under Q125749
On This Page

SYMPTOMS

CAUSE

RESOLUTION

STATUS

MORE INFORMATION

Sample code
SYMPTOMS
The C++ program fails and reports the following run-time error:
runtime error R6025
- pure virtual function call
Back to the top

CAUSE
This error occurs when your application indirectly calls a pure virtual member function in a context where a call to the function is not valid. In most cases, the compiler detects this and reports the error when building the application. But depending on how your code is written, sometimes the problem is detected only at run-time.

The error occurs when you indirectly call a pure virtual function within the context of a call to the constructor or destructor of an abstract base class. This is illustrated in the sample code below, along with some more description.
Back to the top

RESOLUTION
Calling a pure virtual function is a programming error, so you need to find the call to the pure virtual function and rewrite the code so it is not called.

One way to find a call to a pure virtual function is to replace the pure virtual function with an implementation that calls the Windows API function DebugBreak. When using the debugger, DebugBreak will cause a hard-coded breakpoint. When the code stops running at this breakpoint, you can view the callstack to see where the function was called.

Another way to find a call to a pure virtual function is to set a breakpoint on the _purecall function that is found in PureVirt.c. Breaking on this function has the advantage of keeping the stack intact so that you can trace what is occurring.
Back to the top

STATUS
This behavior is by design.
Back to the top

MORE INFORMATION
For more information, refer to the "C Run-Time Errors R6002 through R6025" page of the "Build Errors" section in the following Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) Web site:
http://msdn.microsof...time_errors.asp (http://msdn.microsof...time_errors.asp)
Note The R6025 error is not documented in the manuals or online help included with Visual C++, versions 2.x or below. However, it is briefly discussed in Part 3 of the Readme.wri file shipped with Visual C++ version 2.0.

#2 gi7omy

gi7omy

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,033 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:23 AM

The Virtual Function Call is usually to a part of the API (it's being called from within a program).

As not everyone has this particular problem - it's more than likely that the called procedure is external to the Roxio s/w - what it is or what is causing it is a different matter.

If you could tell us just what it is you are doing when the error occurs - also what your system specs are, it would be a lot easier and less painful for all concerned in trying to determine just what is happening
If it ain't broke, fiddle with it until it breaks, then fiddle with it until you get it fixed

"Rincewind could scream for mercy in nineteen languages and just scream in another forty-four "

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee; that will do them in."

“Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.” — Mitch Ratcliffe

Daithi

Home Brew computer
Intel I7 950 on Gigabyte X58A UD3R mobo
12 GB Three Channel DDRAM
Radeon HD4850 512 MB GDR3 graphics
Signalink USB Audio Codec for ham radio connection
1 x 160 GB, 1 x 330 GB, 1 x 400 GB IDE drives
4 x 250 GB SATA 2
LG HL-DT-ST GGW-H20L BD-RE drive
22" Acer P223W monitor

EMC 7.5 on Windows XP 32 SP3
EMC10 on Windows XP64 SP2
Creator 2011 on Windows 7 Ultimate
ECD6 on Gentoo Linux (running under VMWare)

#3 dcahill110

dcahill110

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:32 AM

View Postgi7omy, on Jan 3 2007, 12:23 PM, said:

The Virtual Function Call is usually to a part of the API (it's being called from within a program).

As not everyone has this particular problem - it's more than likely that the called procedure is external to the Roxio s/w - what it is or what is causing it is a different matter.

If you could tell us just what it is you are doing when the error occurs - also what your system specs are, it would be a lot easier and less painful for all concerned in trying to determine just what is happening

Basic specs are in my signature and my system more than meets minimums listed on the box for EMC9 but more details are:

Win XP Media Center Edition, SP2 all updates from Microsoft updates locations installed.
NVidea GEForce 6600 with the most current drivers from the NVidea site installed.  ( Build 93.71 )
DirectX 9.0c installed
2GB Memory
3.2GHz Pentium D

The error happens whenever I try to run any application in EMC9 no matter if I run it from the splash screen or go directly to the individual program folder for the aplication.

I have done the clean install 4 times now.  Reformatted the PC 3 times  ( suggested by a "support" person at Roxio ) and still get the same R6025 error.

I am really beginning to believe that I have a flawed set of CD's.

Is there any place or any program that can verify that I have a complete and good install of EMC9?

#4 gi7omy

gi7omy

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,033 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:42 AM

Just did a hunt round - did you install WMP11?

http://forums.suppor...?...37&hl=R6025
If it ain't broke, fiddle with it until it breaks, then fiddle with it until you get it fixed

"Rincewind could scream for mercy in nineteen languages and just scream in another forty-four "

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee; that will do them in."

“Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.” — Mitch Ratcliffe

Daithi

Home Brew computer
4 x 250 GB SATA 2
22" Acer P223W monitor

#5 dcahill110

dcahill110

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:13 PM

View Postgi7omy, on Jan 3 2007, 12:42 PM, said:

Just did a hunt round - did you install WMP11?

http://forums.suppor...?...37&hl=R6025

Uninstalled it and no change.  Still getting the R6025 error.

#6 gi7omy

gi7omy

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,033 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:23 PM

One possibility - if you have IE7, uninstall that and roll back to 6 - uninstall EMC and do the clean install again (without either IE7 or WMP11 being left at that time)

Daithi

Home Brew computer
4 x 250 GB SATA 2
22" Acer P223W monitor

#7 dcahill110

dcahill110

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:31 PM

View Postgi7omy, on Jan 3 2007, 01:23 PM, said:

One possibility - if you have IE7, uninstall that and roll back to 6 - uninstall EMC and do the clean install again (without either IE7 or WMP11 being left at that time)

OK, not exactly sure how I stumbled upon this, but I got to the KnowledgeBase and did a search for R6025 and I got this link:

kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Photosuite/000110CR

Wow, who would have guessed that the Solution to EMC9 would be found in the PhotoSuite section....

I did what it said, went to the Services tab of msconfig and started those Roxio services that were not running and lo and behold !!  I was able to actually open VideoWave and load a file to edit.

It looks like for now I am up and running.

The score so far:
$99 spent on software
Reformat HDD 4 times
Reinstall EMC9 6 times ( using clean install procedure )
20ish hours spent trolling the boards looking for help
2 hours on support phone call to India (?) I think...

I hope EMC9 is worth all of this trouble...

Thanks for prompting me in the right direction gi7omy.

#8 gi7omy

gi7omy

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,033 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:37 PM

View Postdcahill110, on Jan 3 2007, 08:31 PM, said:

2 hours on support phone call to India (?) I think...

I hope EMC9 is worth all of this trouble...
Thanks for prompting me in the right direction gi7omy.

Glad it got sorted for you - the only Indian calls I get are usually ones trying to sell me a new cellphone - I do wish I knew the Hindi for 'Kindly go AWAY and stop pesteri9ng me' :)

Daithi

Home Brew computer
4 x 250 GB SATA 2
22" Acer P223W monitor

#9 azia3

azia3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 06:56 PM

As of the 15 of December, Roxio has issued a hotfix for the this at Knowledge base roxio.

Clifton Duncan
Deep In The Heart of Texas!
azia3@houston.rr.com

#10 mitchelH

mitchelH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:40 AM

View Postazia3, on 04 January 2007 - 06:56 PM, said:

As of the 15 of December, Roxio has issued a hotfix for the this at Knowledge base roxio.

Clifton Duncan
Deep In The Heart of Texas!
azia3@houston.rr.com

That is amazing...4 years since this last post and this r6025 error still occurs on my PC, I have a new fresh installation of Windows and the latest Internet Explorer 9.0 and the runtime error r6025 just wouldn't go away...I'm not going to downgrade my Internet Explorer as suggested here, so is there another way around this?

#11 gi7omy

gi7omy

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,033 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:22 AM

If you have IE9 that would assume that you either have Vista or Windows 7

EMC9 will NOT run in Windows 7 - the earliest that does is Creator 2010

Daithi

Home Brew computer
4 x 250 GB SATA 2
22" Acer P223W monitor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users