asandull

Would like a New Video Cam...

Question

Hey Roxio Forum... Happy New Year!

After researching video cameras for a while now, I finally made my decision and added Sony's DCR-SR100 to my B&H wish list... Tonight I went to order it and I'm being told its discontinued by the manufacturer!!! I'm being directed to a replacement (on other sites) but the replacement is not offering the quality of the SR-100... only a bigger hard drive. Soooo... I was wondering if I came across an SR-100 to purchase would it matter if it's discontinued??? If so, any other recommendations in that class? I’m looking for a hard drive camera... at least 30 gb… high res.. t-lens... the best I can get for under 1k.

You’ve all been such a help in the past I had to come here first…

Thanks!

Angie

33 answers to this question

Guest ml
I've burned a few copies and viewed them on my tv and I wasn't to impressed with the quality... However, the TV that I viewed it on is nothing to write home about...The copy we played in my car was nice but thats also a tiny 9 inch screen... I'll see what happens with the firewire... hopefully I'll notice the difference.

Make certain that you import DV AVI video (not mpeg) and choose the 'best' option throughout the editing and burning process.

If you're importing through the Dazzle device, you're limited to the quality that the device will import.

When you import DV AVI through the firewire, you're not importing and encoding. You'll be getting the best quality video that your computer and camcorder will produce.

I think you'll find that the quality is excellent, but don't judge by what you see on your computer screen.

When the program puts the video onto a DVD, it will compress the video and you'll lose some quality, but not much.

It's 'quality in/ quality out'. I first realized the difference when I edited video that had been taken with a friend's broadcast quality camcorder and burned it to a DVD. The difference between that DVD and the ones burned with video from my much lower resolution camcorder was amazing.

Make certain that you import DV AVI video (not mpeg) and choose the 'best' option throughout the editing and burning process.

If you're importing through the Dazzle device, you're limited to the quality that the device will import.

When you import DV AVI through the firewire, you're not importing and encoding. You'll be getting the best quality video that your computer and camcorder will produce.

I think you'll find that the quality is excellent, but don't judge by what you see on your computer screen.

When the program puts the video onto a DVD, it will compress the video and you'll lose some quality, but not much.

It's 'quality in/ quality out'. I first realized the difference when I edited video that had been taken with a friend's broadcast quality camcorder and burned it to a DVD. The difference between that DVD and the ones burned with video from my much lower resolution camcorder was amazing.

The quality on this video that I just recently made should have been better than what my Sony HC3 can produce because the footage came from my friends pro sony cam...So I'm excited to see the difference in quality when I use the firewire... I'm actually deleting everything that I've captured from this stupid dazzle thing right now... I'll use that only when I have to transfer VCR or VHS I guess...

My son, who is 11 just made his first video tonight. I showed him the basics and he put everything together... his editing was pretty good but when he put it on DVD he was disappointed that everything was so blurred... The video from that was taken with my friends camera... the 'really' good pro one...

Angie - you need to understand that a DVD will NEVER look as good as straight from the camcorder to TV simply because the video must be compressed to MPEG2, the DVD standard. What we do on our puny home computers just can't produce the quality of a commercial DVD. However that may change when High def camcorders and Blueray/HD DVD get cheaper.

Angie - you need to understand that a DVD will NEVER look as good as straight from the camcorder to TV simply because the video must be compressed to MPEG2, the DVD standard. What we do on our puny home computers just can't produce the quality of a commercial DVD. However that may change when High def camcorders and Blueray/HD DVD get cheaper.

If software can't handle todays format. Why would one hope in the future, it would do a better job?

cd

The quality on this video that I just recently made should have been better than what my Sony HC3 can produce because the footage came from my friends pro sony cam...So I'm excited to see the difference in quality when I use the firewire... I'm actually deleting everything that I've captured from this stupid dazzle thing right now... I'll use that only when I have to transfer VCR or VHS I guess...

My son, who is 11 just made his first video tonight. I showed him the basics and he put everything together... his editing was pretty good but when he put it on DVD he was disappointed that everything was so blurred... The video from that was taken with my friends camera... the 'really' good pro one...

Since you did not give any information at all how your son produced the video,(what settings, etc) there is not much we can comment on. I have a 4 year old Sony DV camcorder and the DVD I generate from that cameras video are excellent.

Edited by myguggi

If software can't handle todays format. Why would one hope in the future, it would do a better job?
Well I don't think that home computers will EVER 'equal' commercial DVDs. With High definition, home video will at least look as good as present day DVDs simply because of the higher resolution. Video editing software, too, is constantly changing and they are finding better algorythms for MPEG compression. So yes, I , for one, certainly hope that software will do a better job in the future.

Guest ml
So yes, I , for one, certainly hope that software will do a better job in the future.

Me too. I know it's definitely much better than the VCDs which were the only thing available several years ago.

I think this poster has a high def camcorder.

The fact that she's importing using the video output cable on her camcorder and using a Dazzle USB device to compress to mpeg before it gets to the computer is giving her the same quality video that she had before.

The settings I used were not posted on this topic because I've come to an understanding at this point as to why my video quality is coming out so poorly. I did make a post about 'settings' just recently to help me get a better understanding about all the different compression rates and stuff... But I think the way I'm transferring the video is what is causing the loss of quality....

Gary, I do understand that the quality will be better directly from my camera to the TV... But it should not be as poor as it is... Its crystal clear footage, then when its transferred to the computer (by dazzle at Best Quality) the image on the DVD is actually blurry... The faces have no detail... :huh:

So, I'm going to transfer with the fire wire and see how the quality is after that... If I have more quality problems I'll list my steps to see where I'm going wrong...

As always, I appreciate all your input so thanks very much for taking the time to post your responses! :)

p.s, yes, ML is correct... it is a high def camcorder.

Edited by asandull