webwiz

Windows Media Player 11 Affects Sonic Products

Question

I was getting errors in my Sonic burning software everytime I burned a dvd or cd.I found out from the vendor that Windows Media player 11 was causing the problem.I rolled back to WM Player 10,and all my problems went away. Does anyone have had the same issues? Does Sonic have a solution or WMP does?

BTW I started this post a while ago and for some strange reason it was removed. I would like to know why.

Here is another user with the same issue.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=206307

Edited by webwiz

67 answers to this question

I have good news for all the people who would like to experiment downloading WMP11, IE7 or any other updates from Microsoft. I purchased an incredible back up -restore software Acronis10 Home, that has great system restore.

I have been using Acronis True Image for years. Never do MS (or other updates/installs) without first creating an image of my C drive.

There are times that I have used system restore and it has worked. Other times it has bombed.

There are times that I have used system restore and it has worked. Other times it has bombed.

Depends how you use system restore... you have to repartition the drives, which means erasing all the changes you have made. Some people are sceptical, but I used dozen of times on my 3 computers, and it never failed.

Edited by webwiz

One time I used system restore, and it didn't undo any updates.

I have mixed feelings about that. :)

Lynn

Edited by lynn98109

One time I used system restore, and it didn't undo any updates.

I have mixed feelings about that. :)

Lynn

If you are using Acronis, you need to create the Image - Start up disc. Restart your computer using this disc. If you are using the Windows on your computer as start up the changes might not work, it will be similar as Windows system restore.

Hope this helps.

Edited by webwiz

Well, I took the plunge, installed the mystery updates and all seems to be OK. It did not install IE 7 (they didn't lie) and EMC 7.5 still works! YEA!!

Hello everyone am I reading this correctly to stay away from Windows media player version 11 which version is known to be okay with easy media Creator 9 and we're can I find this version I thought I had found version 10 but starting to download I realised it was version 11 Michelle

Guest ml

I've been sceptical about installing those updates also. I looked all over the Microsoft site for a better explanation of the IE update and couldn't find one.

So I'm waiting until I can make certain it's only for 6.

I agree with you. A file size that large looks like they're trying to install 7.

Edited by ml

So I'm waiting until I can make certain it's only for 6.

I agree with you. A file size that large looks like they're trying to install 7.

After the updates, IE 6 version 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp_gdr.050301-1519 is running. No IE 7 was backdoored. :) EMC still works fine too.

The download was 7.4MB here . . . very suspicious. Here's a thought. Maybe IE 7 WAS downloaded but not activated. Then it would be easy to activate by a seemingly innocuous update in the future. Yeah, paranoid . .

Michelle,you can get WMP10 here:WMP10

It should work just fine with EMC9.I use it no problems.

Edited by tbrewst

If you are installing IE 7, get ready for a lot of errors on browsing. Some of the websites don't support IE7.

And Vista..... :) Good luck! Many software companies can't keep up with with the fast upgrades.

Look for example Adobe Photoshop CS. Adobe release CS and by the time people learn how to use it, they introduce CS2. And now they have already CS3. It's all business. They don't care that half of 3rd party plugins don't work with CS3.

What is regarding WMP11.. to bad, it's very nice player, that effects my EMC 7 that came with the computer.

Well, do I remove it and buy EMC 9, which will do the same thing. Roxio upgrade could offer a little better deal to upgrade, ($20 off). Their retail with the 20% discount is now the same price like the upgrade.

Don't understand.

Edited by webwiz

I thought I had found version 10 but starting to download I realised it was version 11 Michelle

That almost got me today also. I thought that I had WMP 9 and I got a message to update WMP. What I thought it said was update to WMP 10. When I downloaded the file, the message came up to verify update to WMP 11. I panicked and hit cancel. I guess what it really said was to update WMP 10 (to WMP 11).

I immediately tried to open EMC 9 and got an error message - the kind that says couldn't open because .... (no text).

I used Windows Control Panel to roll back to previous version of WMP. Since i didn't really install it, the roll back worked(but did need to reinstall WMP10). EMC 9 started with no problems.

That almost got me today also. I thought that I had WMP 9 and I got a message to update WMP. What I thought it said was update to WMP 10. When I downloaded the file, the message came up to verify update to WMP 11. I panicked and hit cancel. I guess what it really said was to update WMP 10 (to WMP 11).

The WMP 10 is as good as 9. I never had any problems with it. You can download it from

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...lDownloads.aspx

A few things to remember here, folks:

#1: There are umpteen thousand pieces of software out there made for the PC every year. No one, not even Microsoft, can test how their product will react with every one of them.

#2: You can't be a slave to old software, or you'll never get anything new. Software has a life cycle. Third party companies can't predict what Microsoft will put out four years from now, and Microsoft can't test their products against a million and one software apps from four years ago and scrap or re-work any new feature that is not compatible with one of them. It just wouldn't work.

#3: Have any of you actually TRIED telephone tech support? I don't mean calling, I mean providing? I have. I mainly do on-site work, but occasionally I'll get a call from a client and I'll try to talk them through a fix if I'm well booked and they really need something. Let me tell you: it's quite possibly the most mentally taxing thing I can think of. First of all, you can't actually SEE the person's screen. So you have to figure out what's going on with the person's product without any visual clues. You have to be able to visualize in your mind exactly what's going on. I don't think I can put into words how much this multiplies the difficulty of troubleshooting, where every little detail on the screen may provide a vital clue. So to figure this out, you have to get the other person to decribe for what's on their screen, and in my experience, they almost always leave something out. Then, 90% of the time, you're having to describe what you want the person on the other end of the phone, which can take thirty-40 seconds, where if you were there, you would just do it and it would take maybe 2. And then if it doesn't work, you have to figure out if it didn't work because that wasn't the solution, or because the person did it wrong (which, of course, you can't actually SAY because then they would get angry at you); and what the actual effect was. For example, 90% of the time they'll just say "nope. that didn't work", which is useless compared to if you were there staring at it and you could see "well, one of the icons/buttons/displays flickered then stopped, then it crashed" or "an error message popped up".

And the entire time, you're trying to walk the thin line between "going over their heads" and "being condescending and talking to them like an idiot", both of which will get you yelled at, despite the fact that you never have any idea where their level of knowledge lies.

Bottom line: Give the phone support guys a bit of slack. At least the tier 2 ones, anyway. The guy that barely speaks English and tells you to clear out your cookies for EVERYTHING is another matter.

I have to kinda feel for you.

Twice the daughter of a friend reported she couldn't get online. Modem or driver problems?

Well, the first time, the area code needed to be entered.

The second time, the newly installed FireWall (it was old) hadn't been set up properly and when she was asked if it was ok if her ISP accessed the internet (did she READ the message?) she clicked no.

Condolences.

But I plan to avoid WinPlayer 11 and IE 7 for as long as possible. (And NO, I don't believe in auto-update.)

Lynn

I have 2 Window machines and 2 G5 Apple computers. Here are my observations. With Apple you forget about the tech support existence, in fact you forget that you have a computer.

It becomes a tool that you are using like a watch or a car that doesn't give you any problems. Windows... there was never a week without a problem from little one to medium or major. years ago the windows machines were more stable than now. As technology progresses there are more mistakes occur.

Why am I using Windows, because there are many more software written for Windows than for the Apple.

On the other hand I like the fact that Apple has only 4% of users... it safe to use because hackers don’t develop any viruses for the minority.

Edited by webwiz

I have exchanged numerous e-mails with a Dell representative. He is insisting that WMP11 does work for SOME customers along with the Dell supplied Roxio software. Can anyone confirm that the combination of Dell supplied Roxio software and WMP11 do work together?

This representative insists that a system restore will correct this...even after I install WMP 11, but I don't believe it. A system restore is a lot of work...and I don't want to invest the time without a pretty high level of assurance it will work.

Any thoughts?

Rolling back to WMP 10 is the logical solution. There is a post somewhere on this board about how to do it.

A system restore takes a few clicks and maybe five minutes or did you mean OS reinstall from scratch?? Yeah, that would be a lot of work and might not fix the problem.

This would make me back off - fast

"...WMP11 does work for SOME customers..."

Not 'most', not 'all' - just 'some'

Rolling back to WMP 10 is the logical solution. There is a post somewhere on this board about how to do it.

A system restore takes a few clicks and maybe five minutes or did you mean OS reinstall from scratch?? Yeah, that would be a lot of work and might not fix the problem.

Here is the URL:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme.../11/readme.aspx

Edited by grandpabruce

Thanks for finding that but didn't you forget something??? There's no live link!

Ah, you fixed it as I was typing.

Edited by sisterscape

That only works if you actually installed WMP 10 in the first place - I'm still using 9 :)

Thanks for finding that but didn't you forget something??? There's no live link!

Ah, you fixed it as I was typing.

ROFL!! I thought it was a live link when I first posted. I usually check them right away, and did so in this case. It didn't work, but I don't know why. I clicked on it in my Word file, and it went to the website, so I just copied that URL and put it in the edited post. :)

That only works if you actually installed WMP 10 in the first place - I'm still using 9 :D

I am still using WMP 9 and can't think of any reason to move up. :huh:

I have 2 Window machines and 2 G5 Apple computers. Here are my observations. With Apple you forget about the tech support existence, in fact you forget that you have a computer.

It becomes a tool that you are using like a watch or a car that doesn't give you any problems. Windows... there was never a week without a problem from little one to medium or major. years ago the windows machines were more stable than now. As technology progresses there are more mistakes occur.

Why am I using Windows, because there are many more software written for Windows than for the Apple.

On the other hand I like the fact that Apple has only 4% of users... it safe to use because hackers don't develop any viruses for the minority.

This is actually one of the things that bugs me about Macs. I don't like that apples whole marketing strategy seems to be "Mac: because come on, you don't want to have to put any THOUGHT into the tech you use, do you? PCs? Man, those are HARD! I mean, 'drivers'? What's a 'driver'? " I'm so tired of people who get so upset that things are broken for "no reason" when the reason is often stairing them right in the face, they just don't friggin READ what's on the screen. You'd be amazed how many things about the PC people find confusing purely because they see a message on the screen that they don't immediately understand and just shut down, when a few minutes of thought combined with context clues would explain everything.

It's like the modern day equivelant of what AOL was back in the 90's. Used to be that you got on Compuserve or some other BBS and you had a fairly good chance to find intelligent conversation, because the computer almost worked as a filter. In order to post, the person had to have at least a basic understanding of the amazing tool he was using. It wasn't just a tv you turned on. Then AOL came out, and suddenly eight out of ten people were clueless "AOLers" who knew how to navigate the net via the cartoony little pictures at the top of their screen.

I've long contested that the average IQ of the internet has been steadily declining since AOL 3.0 (around the time when the service became so popular that everyone was getting busy signals). I think Mac's doing the same thing.

I think this pretty much sums it up:

cletusmac.jpg

ROFL

That's like a sound byte I have on my IRC client

(Homer Simpson voice)

"Press any key to continue. D'oh - which one is the 'any' key'?"