webwiz

Windows Media Player 11 Affects Sonic Products

Question

I was getting errors in my Sonic burning software everytime I burned a dvd or cd.I found out from the vendor that Windows Media player 11 was causing the problem.I rolled back to WM Player 10,and all my problems went away. Does anyone have had the same issues? Does Sonic have a solution or WMP does?

BTW I started this post a while ago and for some strange reason it was removed. I would like to know why.

Here is another user with the same issue.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=206307

Edited by webwiz

67 answers to this question

I hope that one of these days there will be only one great Operating System.

And when the error pops up the computer will tell you what to do to fix it.

And when you get a virus simply delete it will delete without you knowing it.

The OS will be called Apindow... maybe.

Edited by webwiz

I would hope that if it was the 'one great operating system' it wouldn't even pop up and error as it would fix itself before you even noticed there was a problem.

And of course you know who will claim to have thought it up and have all the software patents stashed in a shoe box somewhere - now, just where DID I put Bill's shoebox????????

http://www.mslinux.org/

:)

I dunno, I kinda want to run Wipple, myself.

I dunno, I kinda want to run Wipple, myself.

Very funny. :)

Knowing a little about the programming each computer should have 1 main oparating system and second is the controller, that would check and fix the OS errors.

"One OS to rule them all, Phone Home to find them, DRM to bring them all and in the darkness bind them."

It's coming . . . . It won't be long now.

"One OS to rule them all, Phone Home to find them, DRM to bring them all and in the darkness bind them."

gollum, gollum - Gollum wants his precious :)

This is the true story about the HP tech support. :D:huh:

After installing the WMP11 which affected my Sonic Digital Media Home 7.0 that came with the computer,

it was not easy to remove WMP11, I got "Your Uninstaller Pro" and it removed the player beautifully. (as well as the sonic drivers)

After restarting the computer the Sonic Installer message asks to install disc 1 into the computer, which I did not have, because the HP doesn't ship with the computer. Contacting Roxio help they pointed the finger at HP support.

:D:D:D

Location, India.

After spending 1 hour with questions and spelling about my name and address and serial numbers they directed me to tech support department another one hour of wait.

Tech: What is your name?

Me: I already told your friend all the information

Tech: Sorry Sir, but I need to ask you again, this is the policy.

After going over the same questions for 30 minutes I got upset.

Me: Listen I called to ask you the questions and all I am doing is answering.... (2 hours)

Tech: Ok, ok what seams to be the problem. (Another question)

Me: My Application Recovery is no longer working and I can not reinstall the Sonic.

Tech: Did you try to restart the computer

Me: Yes about 75 times

Tech: Did you try to burn the CD?

Me: With what? I don't have the software any more.

Tech: Did you try to burn the CD in the safe mode?

Me: Please let me talk to your supervisor.

....A Moment of silence.

Tech: Shot down the computer and do system recovery.

Me: What? I have 125 applications and I will have to reinstall all of them!!! :)

Tech: This is only way, sir.

Me: It will take me 5 days to do that

Tech: You called here for the support and I am trying to help. Please do not worry I will resolve the issue.

Me: Can I talk to the second level support?

Tech: There is no second level, this is the highest level.

Me: Can I talk to your supervisor to give you a raise that you could get a higher education?

Tech: Silence.

Me: Hello... hello...

Tech: Yes, yes one minute I need to check my resources if there is another way to help.

After holding for an hour I hear the beeping noise and telephone ladies voice:

"If you like to make a call, please hang up and try again!"

I am sure when people will read this can identify with their own experiences.

I have nothing against this poor guy, but what is really upsets to me that I paid $300 for 3 years HP support and $3800 for custom built HP Pavilion. Is this the proper way for HP to run their business.

I found this on internet when I was looking for solutions.

http://www.illwillpress.com/tech.html

Edited by webwiz

Exactly. Everyone who rushes to buy WinVista with IE 7 and WinPlayer 11 will have to buy everything else from scratch.

I still think it's the best sales tool Apple ever had :)

Lynn

Why do people think that Microsoft should we responsible for their software working with every single one of the 100's of thousands of pieces os software, where as the software manufacturers only to make sure that their software works with one O/S.

I'm buying Vista on Tuesday, and no I don't have to replace every single piece of software. I like the Mac, it's just the arrogrance of Mac users that I can's stand...

the software manufacturers only to make sure that their software works with one O/S.

One OS? Try Windows 2000, XP Home, XP Pro, XP 64 and XP MCE - not overlooking the change in the playing field that occured with SP2, with IE7 and with WMP11

I'm buying Vista on Tuesday, and no I don't have to replace every single piece of software. I like the Mac, it's just the arrogrance of Mac users that I can's stand...

I'm getting a free copy - but I'm certainly in no rush to install it. Try degradation deliberately introduced on legit HD DVDs, try an OS that screams at you when you even go to install MS updates, an OS that won't LET you remove stuff you neither want nor need and one for which a Service Pack is already being made ready

This is the true story about the HP tech support. :D:huh:

I would day that at LEAST half the new clients I I take on have a telephone tech support horror story. Everyone outsources to India, and I guarantee you they will never give you an actual tech. What you are talking to is some guy they are paying WAY below minimum wage who has zero tech training. They sit in front of a computer, type in what you say, and read back what the screen says. If you ask them an unorthodox question, or worse, a very direct, technical one, they have no clue what to do.

This irritates me on SOOOO many levels. First of all, outsourcing pisses me off because it's American companies taking jobs away from Americans and money away from the American economy. Secondly, people who can not speak FLUENT English without a heavy accent have NO business doing telephone tech support for an English speaking country. You're dealing with people who have trouble understanding technical instructions if they are spoken with perfect enunciation, so they're already struggling to understand the situation, and then you're making it worse because they not only have to figure out what the things you're saying MEANS, they have to figure out what the things you're saying ARE!

And for this they charge you for, and hype up, "world class tech support".

Bottom line: telephone tech support just sucks. If only there were people who would come to your house and fix your computers.

On a COMPLETELY unrelated note, look, everybody! I finally got signature! :)

Edited by wraithtdk

Vista operating system is identical to Apple OS. Windows always mimics Apple, starting with the mouse many years ago. Microsoft checks the compatibility with their own software only, for example Microsoft Office, Microsoft Money and etc. Other software companies upgrade and they charge for the upgrade. Why not... Microsoft just found a new way to generate profit for them.

Microsoft, Windows, or any computer Tech support slowly moved to India. Three years ago it was 50, 50.

I remember when I was lucky and got gentleman from Canada, the problem was solved even before I finished telling him the problem. It was incredible.

And now even Apple moved their support to India. I was shocked when I asked the guy from Deli, "Sinse when the Apple moved their support to India?" he said it's been already 6 years. The good news that the Apple support people a little better educated. They understand English.

There are at least a dozen of major computer software companies that moved their support to India. Last week I got a call from my Credit Company offering me special protection. At the beginning I thought it was HP support calling me back to follow up. He sounded the same... but it was my credit card officer. Wow!!! :)

All I can say is.... I think we need to start learning a new language, Indian. And when Americam citizen will be asked what is your second language... you know the answer.

India-support.jpg

Edited by webwiz

All I can say is.... I think we need to start learning a new language, Indian. And when Americam citizen will be asked what is your second language... you know the answer.

Erm . . . the language would probably be Hindi - there is no "Indian" language. Actually several different languages are spoken in India, Hindi predominating.

Today I had to call Funai Corp. about a misbehaving set top DVD recorder. His name was Daniel and he spoke American English. We communicated quite well and I got an answer in just a few minutes. All the Funai support I've connected with seems to be this side of the Atlantic. Pretty unbelievable!

Edited by sisterscape

Vista operating system is identical to Apple OS. Windows always mimics Apple, starting with the mouse many years ago.

Yea, I love how Apple is such a pioneer, and I've been amazed at the last several "starteling revelations" they've made. Like "you're making a portable device that plays WHAT?!" ""wait...your mouse has HOW MANY buttons now?" "Oh my God, you got WHO to make your processors?!" I feel so deprived.

Now, if they can only make Quicktime into a halfway decent player. IT'S BEEN LIKE 10 YEARS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, CAN I PLEASE GET AN "ON TOP WHILE PLAYING" OPTION?!!!

APPLE?????

Don't say that round the Xerox labs

Xerox invented the WIMP thing (Windows, Icon, Mouse, Pointer) and everybody else made money out of it :)

APPLE?????

Don't say that round the Xerox labs

Xerox invented the WIMP thing (Windows, Icon, Mouse, Pointer) and everybody else made money out of it :)

To me it doesn't matter who invented it... it's the one who starts. Windows are following with a lot of errors, which consumer supposed to fix on their own. We are the quality control, not the people from Microsoft, or Tech support from India. We are the one who are solving the problems, at least I am. 9 out of 10 times I solve the problems my self and one is the local paid support ($75 in hour).

Today I had to call Funai Corp. about a misbehaving set top DVD recorder. His name was Daniel and he spoke American English. We communicated quite well and I got an answer in just a few minutes. All the Funai support I've connected with seems to be this side of the Atlantic. Pretty unbelievable!

Isn't strange that today we are shocked if we are getting a good support?

Edited by webwiz