MarcP

Vista Error

Question

I get this message now when starting Vista after the Media Creator 9 install.

This driver is blocked due to compatibility issues.

Check online to see if solutions are available from the Microsoft website. If solutions are found, Windows will automatically display a website that lists steps you can take.

Driver: Sonic Slutions DLA

Publisher: Sonic Solutions

A driver is installed that causes stability problems wiht your system. the driver will be disabled, Please

contact the driver manufacturer for an update that is compatible with this version of windows.

There is no online solution and Roxio support site is useless.

Edited by MarcP

Awwwww, now if you keep it up someones gonna tell them grandbabies what mean ol' man you are and then you're gonna have to prove them wrong by buying them toys. :D

My wife buys them the toys, and I tell them that I told her to. :huh: They give me hugs. :)

and I can agree that DLA can be uninstalled...

And how is this done on Vista? doesn't show up in Add/Remove

Your not the only one getting this, and I can agree that DLA can be uninstalled... But I just followed the regular install process that I did in XP (because the website states its compatible!)

Now I see this, which makes me wonder!

I'm going to try to ignore it for a bit until Roxio determines if a patch is adequate.... I'll investigate more when I get a chance... Keep me posted if anyone hears differently!

and I can agree that DLA can be uninstalled...

And how is this done on Vista? doesn't show up in Add/Remove

I haven't tried it yet as I haven't installed v.9.0 :)

However I believe that you simply start the "Change/Remove" wizard and then remove only the segments you want to.

I have uninstalled KB29427 and all works OK.

The choice is yours????

My choice is to never install an update anyway. :)

Seriously. I rarely install the things. I just disable automatic updates.

MS oddly enough released a 'compatibility' pack for Vista - they claim it fixes problems with EMC 7.5 (no mention of 7.0, 8 or 9 tho)

Actually - they claim it fixes a lot of things (oddly enough including 'Azureus 1.0') :)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929427

I have the exact same issue and it started right after I installed Roxio RecordNow 9 on a fresh Vista installation. I have a home built PC with the following components:

Intel D975XBX2 motherboard

Intel Extreme Quad Core CPU

I did a step by step installation and set a restore point after each program installation. When I back up to just before installing RN9, the problem goes away so in my mind I've isolated it to ROXIO software.

OBTW, as Roxio and Sonic merge, you need to consolidate your support pages. IT's too hard to figure out where to go for help on a Sonic product installed by Roxio.

You could scarcely have the same issue as you aren't using the same software

RecordNow is Sonic - not Roxio

The Sonic forum is on this board, but lower down (look past the Macintosh one)

Edited by gi7omy

In my program download file (and on the program cd I have) I see a DLA32_52 folder that looks like it has the DLA msi installer in it. It's there as I recall because it gets installed on W2K instead of D2D because D2D in v9 is not compatible with W2K. I'm not sure if it happens in other situations also, like if you had an earlier version of DLA installed, maybe it would install that one instead of D2D. I've only ever seen it install D2D on XP tho.

Maybe the same thing (or something similar) the installer "sees" when it's installing on W2K and determines that DLA needs to be installed rather than D2D is also happening in this case. Which would be bad, since DLA is not Vista compatible as i understood it. And I thought Vista had it's own packet writing software?

Hi,

I've just installed the ESD version of Roxio Easy Media Creator Suite 9 on to a totally clean install of Windows Vista Business Edition. I created 2 CD-ROMs from the downloaded files, (as someone mentioned the downloaded files are just compressed images of the Roxio install CD's). On re-booting up after the install of EMC9 I got the same driver error mentioning the Sonic Solutions DLA driver. Also when looking at the Drivers listed for the Optical drive in Device Manager I see three driver files listed from Sonic Solutions, along with the default CDROM.SYS from MS. They are all in the folder 'C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\' folder and are:

DLACDBHM.SYS - version 'local_build' (whatever that means)

DRVNCDB.SYS - version 8.10.42a

PXHelp20.sys - version 3.00.40a

All three of these files are NOT digitally signed, which means that Sonic/Roxio haven't yet completed the Driver Verification Process with Microsoft for these drivers.

It is the first of these three drivers that is shown as being incompatible with Windows Vista and is disabled. Also I don't see any driver files for Drag-to-Disk there? I seem to remember that there used to be Drag-to-disk drivers on my previous system, with Win XP Pro and EMC7.5?!?

Agian since this is a clean install of Windows Vista Business and the only other programs that I've installed prior to Roxio EMC9 are MS Office 2007 Pro Plus and Adobe Acrobat Pro 8 I can't see where the Sonic DLA could have come from except from the install of EMC9!. (For various unrelated reasons I had to completely reformat my HDD before starting installing Windows Vista so I know there can be NOTHING 'left over' from a previous installation!)

I do think though that the error only started after installing the second CD, the 'Roxio Content' CD. I don't remember seeing the error on the first re-boot after installing the main EMC9 suite? I don't have the CD's handy at present, to look through, as I'm in the office now and did the install at home late last night.

How do I 'uninstall Sonic DLA', as there is no mention in Vista's version of Add/Remove Programs (called Programs and Features in Vista)? All that that shows is:

Roxio Content9

Roxio Drag-to-Disk

Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 Suite

There is absolutely NO mention of Sonic Solutions DLA anywhere!

I hope this might help to clarify this issue and maybe get me some help to sort out this driver issue.

Yours faithfully,

Jonathan R. Portwood.

Technical Director,

Professional Quality Support & Assistance Network.

PS.

My system configuration is:

Dell Inspiron 9300 notebook.

Processor: 1.86GHz Pentium M (Tualatin core)

RAM: 2Gb 533Mhz DDR2 Dual Channel

HDD: Hitachi TravelStar E7K100 (100Gb 7,200rpm)

Optical Drive: NEC DVD+-RW ND-6500A (DVD Writer)

Video: ATi Mobility Radeon x300 (with 128Mb dedicated RAM)

Display: 17" WUXGA (1920*1200*32bit)

I'm wondering here (or is that wanderin' ?), when you did the clean installation of Vista, did you opt to have it download updates during the installation ? I think this is one of the features of the beta but not positive on the final release.

Roxio MY DVD isnt a Vista compatible application. You will likely have to do a clean uninstall of that application. Let me see if I can grab you some directions specific to that app.

Thanks John. Everyone who bought a Dell XP or MCE 2005 machine and upgrades to Vista will have this problem. I thought I had got rid of the error by removing all windows updates and then running the add/remove in safe mode, but no, somehow the error keeps re-surfacing....just will not go away.

Any more thoughts on how to remove it once and for all?

Thanks John. Everyone who bought a Dell XP or MCE 2005 machine and upgrades to Vista will have this problem. I thought I had got rid of the error by removing all windows updates and then running the add/remove in safe mode, but no, somehow the error keeps re-surfacing....just will not go away.

I'm beginning to wonder if it has something to do with what "Options" Vista has enabled (via the version that you bought. :) )

I have the ultimate installed on my machine, and it was done via a "clean-install" upgrade from an XP Home edition supplied to me via Sony.

Those who did get it resolved :D what edition of vista are you running?

Those who can not get it to go away :D , what edition are you running?

I think Ajax might have it narrowed down... I wonder if it has something to do with the Media Center or other functionality included in some of these Vista editions. Because I know that ultimate includes a DVD writer application.

Does that sound logical? :huh:

I'm running a clean install of Vista and have not seen that error. After I installed EMC9, I immediately removed Drag to Disc and shutdown the Media Manager.

As far as I can tell, EMC is working on my system. I will say that I haven't used it that much as compared to my XP system but what I have done, has worked well.

Sorry I dont have enough info yet for the complete clean install. Our OEM software is different then our standard software so things get a little complicated for us here in support sometimes. My hope is that when we release the patch file for EMC 9 that it will resolve the issue with the other apps that use this same driver that Vista is complaining about.

Hi all,

We are frustrated by this particular problem right now. We believe the Vista Update is blocking one of our drivers that is compatible with Vista as if the file was not compatible with Vista. We are working with Microsoft to figure out how this happened, and how we can correct the issue. Hopefully it will be corrected fairly soon.

Tom

I'm running a clean install of Vista and have not seen that error. After I installed EMC9, I immediately removed Drag to Disc and shutdown the Media Manager.

As far as I can tell, EMC is working on my system. I will say that I haven't used it that much as compared to my XP system but what I have done, has worked well.

I'm with Beerman on this one. This thread scared me enough to not install EMC9 on a Vista Home Premium clean install. Just did the install with a bunch of caveats, and the software is working great.

Well I had some DVD's to burn and Vista's DVD burning does not work worth beans (even when you set the options to finalize the DVD session), the DVD will only play on a computer and not a standalone DVD player. So I needed EMC9 for movies.

Just to reinforce, the install was custom. I went through all the options in install and deselected things that Vista takes care of anyway, like the media import and media manager, backup my PC, photosuite, and plug and burn (every one of those things is a core function of Vista - you don't need them). And just like Beerman, I uninstalled Drag to Disc immediately. Oh, I'm running Windows 1 care live, so I disabled the virus and ad removal function during install.

Honestly, the software runs better today than it did on XP. Know it doesn't help you with the DLA problem - but this is the first time ever that I'm actually happy with Roxio and this package. Go figure.

Hi,

I've just installed the ESD version of Roxio Easy Media Creator Suite 9 on to a totally clean install of Windows Vista Business Edition. I created 2 CD-ROMs from the downloaded files, (as someone mentioned the downloaded files are just compressed images of the Roxio install CD's). On re-booting up after the install of EMC9 I got the same driver error mentioning the Sonic Solutions DLA driver. Also when looking at the Drivers listed for the Optical drive in Device Manager I see three driver files listed from Sonic Solutions, along with the default CDROM.SYS from MS. They are all in the folder 'C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\' folder and are:

DLACDBHM.SYS - version 'local_build' (whatever that means)

DRVNCDB.SYS - version 8.10.42a

PXHelp20.sys - version 3.00.40a

All three of these files are NOT digitally signed, which means that Sonic/Roxio haven't yet completed the Driver Verification Process with Microsoft for these drivers.

It is the first of these three drivers that is shown as being incompatible with Windows Vista and is disabled. Also I don't see any driver files for Drag-to-Disk there? I seem to remember that there used to be Drag-to-disk drivers on my previous system, with Win XP Pro and EMC7.5?!?

Agian since this is a clean install of Windows Vista Business and the only other programs that I've installed prior to Roxio EMC9 are MS Office 2007 Pro Plus and Adobe Acrobat Pro 8 I can't see where the Sonic DLA could have come from except from the install of EMC9!. (For various unrelated reasons I had to completely reformat my HDD before starting installing Windows Vista so I know there can be NOTHING 'left over' from a previous installation!)

I do think though that the error only started after installing the second CD, the 'Roxio Content' CD. I don't remember seeing the error on the first re-boot after installing the main EMC9 suite? I don't have the CD's handy at present, to look through, as I'm in the office now and did the install at home late last night.

How do I 'uninstall Sonic DLA', as there is no mention in Vista's version of Add/Remove Programs (called Programs and Features in Vista)? All that that shows is:

Roxio Content9

Roxio Drag-to-Disk

Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 Suite

There is absolutely NO mention of Sonic Solutions DLA anywhere!

I hope this might help to clarify this issue and maybe get me some help to sort out this driver issue.

Yours faithfully,

Jonathan R. Portwood.

Technical Director,

Professional Quality Support & Assistance Network.

PS.

My system configuration is:

Dell Inspiron 9300 notebook.

Processor: 1.86GHz Pentium M (Tualatin core)

RAM: 2Gb 533Mhz DDR2 Dual Channel

HDD: Hitachi TravelStar E7K100 (100Gb 7,200rpm)

Optical Drive: NEC DVD+-RW ND-6500A (DVD Writer)

Video: ATi Mobility Radeon x300 (with 128Mb dedicated RAM)

Display: 17" WUXGA (1920*1200*32bit)

The same drivers are installed with EMC 9 on XP SP2. It seems that drag to disc in EMC 9 is using the Sonic solutions drivers.

Being so annoyed by the nagging error message, I blew away dlacdbhm.sys and restarted. That was a mistake - blue screen and had to replace the file using a linux recovery disk.

I can't see how to remove this driver anywhere... I've done so much hacking of my reg and un-installed everything I can see relating to Roxio and Sonic Solutions, so I can't boot into safe mode and remove the DLA program as suggested in the sticky thread in this forum :)

There must be a lot of people out there with dell machines that have upgraded to vista, I mean, mine has a vista capable sticker on it, that must mean something.

Being so annoyed by the nagging error message, I blew away dlacdbhm.sys and restarted. That was a mistake - blue screen and had to replace the file using a linux recovery disk.

I can't see how to remove this driver anywhere... I've done so much hacking of my reg and un-installed everything I can see relating to Roxio and Sonic Solutions, so I can't boot into safe mode and remove the DLA program as suggested in the sticky thread in this forum :)

There must be a lot of people out there with dell machines that have upgraded to vista, I mean, mine has a vista capable sticker on it, that must mean something.

Are you upgrading or doing a clean install? I always find I have less problems doing a fresh install of any OS vs. an upgrade install which I don't think is anything but a wish for trouble.

As far as the Vista capable sticker, that just means it can run 'some' version of Vista and doesn't necessarily mean you'll find that it runs it well so beware.

Are you upgrading or doing a clean install? I always find I have less problems doing a fresh install of any OS vs. an upgrade install which I don't think is anything but a wish for trouble.

As far as the Vista capable sticker, that just means it can run 'some' version of Vista and doesn't necessarily mean you'll find that it runs it well so beware.

Yeah it was an upgrade.. I had heard the upgrade was a lot better on vista so I thought I would give it a go. Vista warned me about the Roxio software before I did the upgrade so I un-installed it all with the intention of re-installing it afterwards.

I'm sure you've seen it but this is what I am seeing.. Disabled Drivers Screen Grab.

I guess the reinstall is the next step, but I'll wait a bit longer to see if the fix is eminent. I really don't want to have to do that as the rest of the machine is fine. It must be frustrating for Roxio though, if they have already issued MS with the updated driver details as they say and are having it blocked. But if that is the case, can't we have it so we can at least install it and get rid of this error message?

Yeah it was an upgrade.. I had heard the upgrade was a lot better on vista so I thought I would give it a go. Vista warned me about the Roxio software before I did the upgrade so I un-installed it all with the intention of re-installing it afterwards.

I'm sure you've seen it but this is what I am seeing.. Disabled Drivers Screen Grab.

I guess the reinstall is the next step, but I'll wait a bit longer to see if the fix is eminent. I really don't want to have to do that as the rest of the machine is fine. It must be frustrating for Roxio though, if they have already issued MS with the updated driver details as they say and are having it blocked. But if that is the case, can't we have it so we can at least install it and get rid of this error message?

I hear upgrades take hours. Every fresh install I've made of Vista (tested for MS) has always taken under 40 minutes.