Roxio Community

The Drive Reported An Error: Sense Key=medium Error Etc.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 tduffy1

tduffy1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:19 AM

I am using a Powerbook 867, MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-815 DVD Superdrive and TDK DVD-R media. I am trying to copy disc I made using i-DVD and imovie. The original movies work fine. The TDK disc copy fine on the idvd but when I try to copy them to Popcorn, i get this message.
The Drive Reported An Error: Sense key=Medium Error. Sense Code=0x73, 0x03. Then I get the message "The Disc Failed to be written". There is no visible change on the disc but it will no longer work.

#2 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,728 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:37 AM

Try doing this in two steps. Select the DVD Disc setting in Popcorn and insert the DVD to be copied. Now choose Save as Disc Image from the Popcorn File menu. When that is written, eject the DVD, change Popcorn's setting to Image File and choose the disc image file. Now burn your copy.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#3 lnovikoff

lnovikoff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:18 PM

View Posttsantee, on Jan 31 2006, 10:37 AM, said:

Try doing this in two steps. Select the DVD Disc setting in Popcorn and insert the DVD to be copied. Now choose Save as Disc Image from the Popcorn File menu. When that is written, eject the DVD, change Popcorn's setting to Image File and choose the disc image file. Now burn your copy.

I've just started having the exact same problem. However, the material I'm trying to burn has already been copied onto an external hardrive(as a Video_TS Folder) from its original dvd---so your original advise won't work for me. Any other suggestions? And any insight into why this problem is occuring?

#4 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,728 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:36 PM

View Postlnovikoff, on Jan 31 2006, 08:18 PM, said:

I've just started having the exact same problem. However, the material I'm trying to burn has already been copied onto an external hardrive(as a Video_TS Folder) from its original dvd---so your original advise won't work for me. Any other suggestions? And any insight into why this problem is occuring?
I don't know why the problem occurs. However, you also can make a disc image from the VIDEO_TS folder and then burn that image file to DVD. With the VIDEO_TS folder selected just choose Save as Disc Image instead of clicking the burn button. This may not fix the issue, but it seems that drives have an easier time burning DVD disc images. It's worth a try.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#5 tduffy1

tduffy1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 05:47 AM

I tried the recommendation but it did not work. Roxanne said I should reload the program and try differrent media. I tried a Sony DVD and it worked fine. I don't understand why TDK Discs don't work. I have been in the audio business for many years and TDK was always some of the best. But I have to go with what works. Hope this helps others. Terry

#6 macuser25

macuser25

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 01:57 PM

EOM

Edited by macuser25, 08 February 2006 - 01:58 PM.

#7 fingerman

fingerman

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:00 PM

A sense key error is an error reported to Popcorn by the recorder during burning - usually with an error code directly from the firmware of the recorder.
These error codes are often somewhat cryptic and are specific to the particular manufacturer of the recorder.

Sense key errors are most commonly caused by:
* A media failure (the recorder does not like the particular brand, or that piece of media)
* A buffer underrun (the recorder was trying to burn the disc faster than the computer could send data to it)
* Recorder failure (the recorder may be broken or about to break)

Here's some common things you can do to avoid them:

1) Make sure buffer underrun prevention is turned on
In the Recording Settings sheet, Advanced tab, make sure to check "Buffer Underrun Prevention"

2) Burn at a slower speed
In the Recording Settings sheet, Basic tab, make sure to choose "1x" as the Write Speed.
If the disc burns successfully, try choosing 2x the next time, then 4x, etc.

3) Try a different piece of media from a different batch
Switch to a different brand of media, or try a different piece from the same batch.
Make sure to use reputable media from a leading manufacturer.

Also see http://www.nomorecoasters.com for information on choosing high quality media.
Or you can go to http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia for a searchable database of the best rated media from other users.

4) Save as a disc image first
After preparing your disc, choose "File > Save As Disc Image" instead of burning.
This will save the entire disc to your hard disk first, you can then use the Image File Copy option in Popcorn to burn.

5) Use a different recorder
If a recorder is consistenly giving errors, it may be failing.
Choosing a different recorder may give better results.

6) Do less on your computer while burning
Avoid processor intensive tasks while burning.
Do not do any file activity that would attempt to modify the underlying source files while preparing the disc or recording it.

7) Make sure the computer is no going to sleep during the burning process
Adjust the setting in the Apple Energy Saver utility in your computerís System Preferences.

#8 dwfilice

dwfilice

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 02:17 PM

In addition to the previous excellent suggestions, try cleaning the laser lens with a CD cleaning disc.  I had the same error message and I used, as a last ditch effort, a CD cleaning disc.   This worked for me.  I had no problem burning at 1X and I had no problem burning audio CDs, but I received this error when attempting to burn a 4X speed.  I used a Maxell CD cleaner disc, which has a little patch of micro-brushes attached, and I think it dislodges any dust that may have attached to the lens.

#9 paddy2042

paddy2042

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 10:49 PM

The drive reported an error:
Sense Key = HARDWARE ERROR
Sense Code = 0x09, 0x01
TRACKING SERVO FAILURE
I too get this message (although I notice the Sense Code numbers are different!) I am using a powerbook G4 OSX 10.4.6

This problem has only just started to happen and it only happens on the third of fourth burn. If I restart it will burn properly. It also happens on an external burner and I am only burning at 2X so it should not be too fast. I have been using Popcorn for ages and it has always workd fine up  until recently. I have not installed anything new.
Please help - this is making the programme impossible to use and I will look for an alternative if I cannot remedy the problem.

paddy

#10 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,728 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 06:01 AM

View Postpaddy2042, on May 21 2006, 10:49 PM, said:

The drive reported an error:
Sense Key = HARDWARE ERROR
Sense Code = 0x09, 0x01
TRACKING SERVO FAILURE
I too get this message (although I notice the Sense Code numbers are different!) I am using a powerbook G4 OSX 10.4.6

This problem has only just started to happen and it only happens on the third of fourth burn. If I restart it will burn properly. It also happens on an external burner and I am only burning at 2X so it should not be too fast. I have been using Popcorn for ages and it has always workd fine up  until recently. I have not installed anything new.
Please help - this is making the programme impossible to use and I will look for an alternative if I cannot remedy the problem.

paddy
Interesting. It wasn't a problem before but it is now after updating to 10.4.6. It happens with both the Superdrive and the external burner. Since you're doing multiple burns, does this mean you're making multiple copies of the same DVD or are you making several different DVDs? Are you burning from a disc image file? What happens if you burn three. Stop. Then burn another three? My first thought is that it might be a heat buildup issue. But that's only a wild guess.

#11 boogie_rhondda

boogie_rhondda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 10:56 PM

I have been using Popcorn 1 (with the update to version 1.0.3) for a few weeks on my brand new Intel iMac and it's been working great. I usually only need to produce 1 back-up copy of a DVD, but  last week I tried to do 3 - and then I got the same error message about "Sense Key", and Servo failure etc.

I tried all the usual remedies of restarting the machine, leaving it switched off for a few hours to let it cool down, shouting at the screen etc but no luck.

I eventually decided to reinstall Popcorn (plus the 1.0.3 updater) and now everything is working fine again, although I have yet to try doing multiple copies of a disc...

Edited by boogie_rhondda, 05 June 2006 - 10:57 PM.

#12 borgRus

borgRus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:59 AM

Got a G5, its been running fine and recording discs perfectly until today. This is the first time I have tried to burn a disk since re-installing software.

I can rule out the bad CD disk problem, the data burns fine on them on both my G4 and laptop. I updated from toast 7.0 to 7.12 and still no good.

Have run disk repair and nothing wrong, restarted a few times and shouted at the screen.

I have a feeling it's a firmware problem but too many people are coming up with the same problem and the chances of the same development on firmware is unlikely, especially when it has been recording fine for over 6 months. Did anyone else re-install software just before this problem started?

Does anyone know of a diagnosis program that might help? Currently the it fails to even record a single jpeg.

#13 Expat251

Expat251

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:42 AM

Had the same problem on a MacBook Pro (an original one).  Solved the problem by setting the record speed to 1x.  It still recorded at 7x.  I was recording mp3 files on a Maxell CD-R.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users