4 replies to this topic

#1 Squid3660

Squid3660

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:54 PM

Hi!  I am trying to burn a 900MB mp4 to a DVD-DL.  I had planned on adding other video to the DVD-DL as well, but after I dragged the 900MB mp4 file over to the blank Toast 8 DVD-Video window, the DVD-DL green bar filled up about 90%.  

Does anyone know why this is?  The specs on the mp4 are:

Video: H.264/AVC, 752 x 480, 23.97 fps
Audio: MPEG-4 Audio, Stereo, 48000 Hz

I am really bummed cause I spent quite a while encoding this mp4 file from a VOB (I needed subtitles burned onto the video, and Toast 8 refuses to work with subtitles).  Also, this is my first attempt at working with MP4 to DVD, so I was excited that I could fit lots of small size MP4s on one DVD and have like 4 or 5 hours worth of MP4 video playing on a single DVD-DL.  I guess thats now how it works.

Can anyone explain whay this 900MB file is taking up so much space on the DVD-DL?  The original VOB file was only 4G.  

Thanks!

#2 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,515 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 04:19 PM

As I understand this you are wanting to keep the video in MP4 format. In that case, burn it in the Data window. It won't be playable as a video DVD, though, because that requires MPEG 2 format.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#3 Squid3660

Squid3660

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:28 PM

No... actually, I wanted Toast to see the MP4 file that I drug into the DVD video pane and realize that I wanted to burn that as an mpeg-2 file on a video dvd, which would be playable on a dvd player for my viewing enjoyment.  

Does it not work this way?  Let me guess..... no.  ::SIGH::   :)

So... what hoop must I jump through next?  What should I do with the MP4 to convert it to an mpeg-2?  

Still... shouldnt Toast reencode the file from Mp4 to mpeg2 or whatnot?  Maybe I am expecting way too much for what I paid for this.  

Beuller?  Beuller?  Anyone?  Please?

#4 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,515 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:41 PM

View PostSquid3660, on Feb 1 2007, 12:28 PM, said:

No... actually, I wanted Toast to see the MP4 file that I drug into the DVD video pane and realize that I wanted to burn that as an mpeg-2 file on a video dvd, which would be playable on a dvd player for my viewing enjoyment.  

Does it not work this way?  Let me guess..... no.  ::SIGH::   :)

So... what hoop must I jump through next?  What should I do with the MP4 to convert it to an mpeg-2?  

Still... shouldnt Toast reencode the file from Mp4 to mpeg2 or whatnot?  Maybe I am expecting way too much for what I paid for this.  

Beuller?  Beuller?  Anyone?  Please?
When you say you have a 900 MB MP4 file that doesn't mean anything as far as how much space will be required after it is encoded to MPEG 2 for video DVD. What does matter is the video's length and the bit rate setting used by Toast to encode it.

You said you started with VOB's. If these were in a VIDEO_TS folder you could have skipped the MPEG 4 compression by placing the VIDEO_TS folder on your desktop, chosen DVD with the Toast Media Browser and dragged from the browser to the Video window any titles you wanted on the DVD. No re-encoding would be needed because the VOBs already were MPEG 2.

Toast will convert your MPEG 4 video to MPEG 2 for video DVD. Just drag the MPEG 4's into the Video window. Toast automatically does the MPEG 2 encoding when you click the burn button or choose Save as Disc Image. If Toast says the content is too big you can lower the bit rate setting in the Custom Encoder window.

Toast doesn't keep closed captioning but should handle subtitles.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#5 Squid3660

Squid3660

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:47 PM

Yea, I tried that, but I needed the subtitles to be burned over the video image... in other words, I did not want to have to turn the subtitles on during video playback, I wanted them to be on automatically, without any intervention.  So, I had to make an mp4 of the VOB with ffmpegx, and I was able to have the subtitles burned into the video.  Now I want to take that mp4 video and reencode it as mpeg-2 and burn as dvd-video.  

Your comment about the bit rate gave me an idea.  I will try play around with it some more.  

Thank, Tsantee!  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users