• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ljvdz

ljvdz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:32 PM

I'm desperate to open number of old QIC files, but I just can't seem to get anything to work.

After hours of researching online and hunting down computers running 98 and ME with MSBackup, I'm still at a loss. MS's software seems to produce nothing but empty folders and I'm not sure why.

Some discussions around the web point to Roxio's backup software as an option to opening QIC files. Can anyone confirm this? I don't want to drop $50 if there's no chance it'll work.

I wish there was a trial version available...

LJVDZ

#2 marlinsinger

marlinsinger

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 04:46 AM

View Postljvdz, on Feb 20 2007, 07:32 AM, said:

I'm desperate to open number of old QIC files, but I just can't seem to get anything to work.

After hours of researching online and hunting down computers running 98 and ME with MSBackup, I'm still at a loss. MS's software seems to produce nothing but empty folders and I'm not sure why.

Some discussions around the web point to Roxio's backup software as an option to opening QIC files. Can anyone confirm this? I don't want to drop $50 if there's no chance it'll work.

I wish there was a trial version available...
LJVDZ

A lot depends also on how old those qic file are and what version of Backup MyPC they were created with. There was an algorithm change with version 5 that means files created with version 5 can't be read by version 4 and visa versa.
If these files were created with MS Backup, originally written by Veritas for them, you should be able to restore.
Does it actually create anything when you do the restore with MS Backup? Is there an option to create to different loaction. If so make sure it is checked. Many backup softwares will not recreate directory structure if it is not checked and the directories are not there.
Marlin

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66ghz
Intel DG965WH MB - Onboard HD Audio
BFG GeForce 8800GTS OC 640MB Graphics Card
Western Digital 250GB SATA 300 main HDD
Western Digital 250GB SATA 300 secondary HDD
Western Digital 400GB SATA 300 HDD --| All in an AMS 4 drive
Western Digital 500GB SATA 300 HDD    | eSATA enclosure
2 Samsung 500GB SATA 300 HDD       --| JBOD setup
3GB DDR2-800  memory
Lite-On LH-20A1S DVD Burner
Lite-On LH-20A1L DVD Burner
Windows XP Home SP2
Gateway 24" FPD2485W Monitor
HP Photosmart D5360 Inkjet
HP 3800 Color Laserjet
HP 4890 Scanjet

#3 ljvdz

ljvdz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:33 AM

I think the files were backed up in 1996, which I expect means it was using a version of Windows 95 Backup. Beyond that, I'm not sure - obviously the files were created on a different machine than the one I'm trying to open them on.

Unfortunately, I can't find any available Windows 95 machine (or anyone willing to install it on a separate partition). Do you think that I require Win95 in order to open the files? The research I've done online so far says 95/98/ME should handle it all.

On Windows ME, the backup software I was able to find and install was designed by "Seagate" or something (can't recall the name specifically, but I know it wasn't Veritas).

When trying to restore, I've tried every different option available, including create to a different location. The software produces the same directory structure within the alternate location that I specify on the computer, but the folders remain empty. I get no errors, the software says the restore was successful, but it only takes a second to run.

Does it sound like Roxio can open these?

#4 marlinsinger

marlinsinger

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:52 AM

View Postljvdz, on Feb 20 2007, 03:33 PM, said:

I think the files were backed up in 1996, which I expect means it was using a version of Windows 95 Backup. Beyond that, I'm not sure - obviously the files were created on a different machine than the one I'm trying to open them on.

Unfortunately, I can't find any available Windows 95 machine (or anyone willing to install it on a separate partition). Do you think that I require Win95 in order to open the files? The research I've done online so far says 95/98/ME should handle it all.

On Windows ME, the backup software I was able to find and install was designed by "Seagate" or something (can't recall the name specifically, but I know it wasn't Veritas).

When trying to restore, I've tried every different option available, including create to a different location. The software produces the same directory structure within the alternate location that I specify on the computer, but the folders remain empty. I get no errors, the software says the restore was successful, but it only takes a second to run.

Does it sound like Roxio can open these?

Not sure why it isn't working. Seagate sold the software to Veritas, who sold it to Sonic/Roxio. Tha's why I mwentioned Veritas. I don't think any other software is going to help, as I am sure it is a cut down version of the original Seagate Backup Exec. If you can find any old copis of that, you might have some luck, but I wouldn't count on it. At one time most CD-RW drives had that software packaged with it. Maybe someone who kept it will have a copy. You will need the version from Seagate, not veritas or Sonic/Roxio.
Marlin

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66ghz
Intel DG965WH MB - Onboard HD Audio
BFG GeForce 8800GTS OC 640MB Graphics Card
Western Digital 250GB SATA 300 main HDD
Western Digital 250GB SATA 300 secondary HDD
Western Digital 400GB SATA 300 HDD --| All in an AMS 4 drive
Western Digital 500GB SATA 300 HDD    | eSATA enclosure
2 Samsung 500GB SATA 300 HDD       --| JBOD setup
3GB DDR2-800  memory
Lite-On LH-20A1S DVD Burner
Lite-On LH-20A1L DVD Burner
Windows XP Home SP2
Gateway 24" FPD2485W Monitor
HP Photosmart D5360 Inkjet
HP 3800 Color Laserjet
HP 4890 Scanjet

#5 ljvdz

ljvdz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:46 PM

Thanks so much for your advice - much appreciated. :)

I will follow up on Seagate Backup Exec.

Linder

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users