marlinsinger

CompUSA closing stores

Question

CompUSA is closing over half it's stores. They are closing 126 stores leaving only 103. Looking online at their site it only shows the 103 remaining stores. In my area, Maryland, they only have 2. There were at least 5 that I have been in, and maybe more.

http://www.compusa.com/about/news.asp

See the 02/27 news release (word doc).

Going to mean I am in their stores even less now as the one store is too far away, and I don't particularly like the other store.

36 answers to this question

Worst Buy sells Graphics & Sound cards, but if you need special cables, cases, processors, motherboards, or other special parts, you're out of luck.

Not to mention the fact that all of Worst Buy's sales all revolve around pain in the neck mail-in rebates. You know why companies love those so much? Because

a. most people don't go through with them,

and

b. even if they do, there's a fairly good chance they will screw up.

The bottome line is, they know that there's a much better chance that they will be able to sell those items at full price. What really pisses me off is that half the time, when I do those things from Worst Buy, I send in EVERYTHING, word for word, and then I get a notice saying that I did NOT send something in, and they will send me my money when I submit the missing parts. Of course, then you're stuck, because you can't send them something you ALREADY sent them, and it's just your word against theirs.

Wretchdk, I like Best Buy. ;)

A Fry's Electronics within 2 miles of your house? Now I'm jealous.

I have to drive about 40 miles to get to Fry's but it's well worth it. :D

Worst Buy sells Graphics & Sound cards, but if you need special cables, cases, processors, motherboards, or other special parts, you're out of luck.

Not to mention the fact that all of Worst Buy's sales all revolve around pain in the neck mail-in rebates. You know why companies love those so much? Because

a. most people don't go through with them,

and

b. even if they do, there's a fairly good chance they will screw up.

Agreed. It takes persistence to receive a rebate . . . have to be a little OCD.

What really pisses me off is that half the time, when I do those things from Worst Buy, I send in EVERYTHING, word for word, and then I get a notice saying that I did NOT send something in, and they will send me my money when I submit the missing parts. Of course, then you're stuck, because you can't send them something you ALREADY sent them, and it's just your word against theirs.

And that's why there are SCANNERS and other backup methods to document all the necessary evidence. ;)

I wish i could buy for the prices you guys buy for just dreaming

awoo87,

why is the price so much higher for you South Pacific folks?

I have to drive about 40 miles to get to Fry's

My drive would be over 300 to get to Fry's, the next state!

cd

Guest ml
My drive would be over 300 to get to Fry's, the next state!

cd

Even though Fry's is within easy driving distance for me, I frequently get their online specials with FREE shipping. Can't see spending the time or money to drive to the store when I can get it delivered to my door.

Even though Fry's is within easy driving distance for me, I frequently get their online specials with FREE shipping. Can't see spending the time or money to drive to the store when I can get it delivered to my door.

Yeah, I let my fingers do the walking too!

I have never had to RMA anything back to newegg, mwave, tigerdirect, zipzoomfly, supermediastore, rima, or meritline. It would be a pain and kill half or more of the savings. If they have it as cheap with the instore return 2 to 4 week option, I buy it local. The HP 5160 CDDVD inkjet printer was one of those items $79.00 + tax!

cd

And that's why there are SCANNERS and other backup methods to document all the necessary evidence. ;)

So long as they accept photocopies. This is not always the case. Especially if they require the original UPC from the box.

So long as they accept photocopies. This is not always the case. Especially if they require the original UPC from the box.

I have had to go to battle more than once to collect a rebate - can you say pitbull? But in the end I have always gotten them using photocopies. Sometimes it has taken months of grief though. Many people would not be that persistent. :)

Edited by sisterscape

I have had to go to battle more than once to collect a rebate - can you say pitbull? But in the end I have always gotten them using photocopies. Sometimes it has taken months of grief though. Many people would not be that persistent. :)

I could believe that. Thing is, I'd rather pay $100.00 straight up for something than the Worst Buy advertised special of "$80.00*" with that asterisk of doom that signals you're going to have to fight for months to get the $50.00 mail-in rebate that will bring the price down to $80.00. I want an honest price that people are actually prepaired to give me without any hastle.

awoo87,

why is the price so much higher for you South Pacific folks?

Population I guess theres only 20 million of us and the exchange rate.