19 replies to this topic

#1 johnnymup

johnnymup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 11:03 AM

[font=Times New Roman][size=4]

I have used MGI Photosuite products for years and am very happy and familiar with it's format etc.

My new computer with Windows Visa will not accept my old Photosuite 4 Platinum version, and I wanted to either download  to fix it or buy the new version. However, I see that Roxio have taken over MGI.

Can anybody tell me if the Roxio Photosuite is similar to the MGI one, or will I have to learn the Roxio version from scratch?

#2 Jamie Ather

Jamie Ather

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 01:15 PM

Edited by Jamie Ather, 21 January 2008 - 08:38 AM.

#3 Larry

Larry

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,240 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE (Jamie Ather @ Apr 5 2007, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think i have the same problem. I got photosuite free with a digi cam and the disk doesn't say it works with Vista. That is the messege that i keep getting ^^ I use photosuite almost everyday...I need this fixed  sad.gif Can somebody give me any advice?
If it's an MGI version (like the old 4 noted in the thread topic) it's not going to work under Vista and there is nothing you can do to make it work.
Larry
Registered Member Creator 2010 Pro, Creator 2009 Ultimate, EMC 10, 9, 8 Deluxe, 7.5, 7, ECDC 6,5,4

Dell Precision WorkStation 450 / 2 - Intel Xeon 2.80ghz CPU w/HT, 512mb L2 Cache, 533mhz Bus / 2gb RAM / 1800gb+ HDD's / NVIDIA GeForce 6200 / Lite-On 165H6S CD DVD+/- DVD+/-DL /  Plextor PX-708UF /
Hauppage WinTV HVR-950Q / Hauppage WinTV PVR PCI II 250 / Hauppage WinTV PVR USB2 / XP Pro SP3 / Windows 7

#4 Jamie Ather

Jamie Ather

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 03:39 AM

Dam!! Thanks for replying anyway.

Edited by Jamie Ather, 21 May 2007 - 01:52 AM.

#5 Jamie Ather

Jamie Ather

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:51 AM

I was told today from a man at PC World, that any program that isn't compatible with Vista, will have a download on their website to make it work?

Thoughts?

Edited by Jamie Ather, 21 May 2007 - 01:52 AM.

#6 Larry

Larry

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,240 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:34 AM

QUOTE (Jamie Ather @ May 21 2007, 04:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was told today from a man at PC World, that any program that isn't compatible with Vista, will have a download on their website to make it work?

Thoughts?
That would be wishful thinking.  There is, and will continue to be, a lot of programs that will never be Vista compatible. It's quite possible that the most current version of many software products will have Vista compatible updates at some point (once MS is done changing the OS with it's updates), but older legacy products will most likely not. In the case of MGI PhotoSuite, it will never have an update for Vista. It's an out of production product, quite old, and is not even supported any longer. MGI in fact no longer exists that I'm aware of.
Larry
Registered Member Creator 2010 Pro, Creator 2009 Ultimate, EMC 10, 9, 8 Deluxe, 7.5, 7, ECDC 6,5,4

Dell Precision WorkStation 450 / 2 - Intel Xeon 2.80ghz CPU w/HT, 512mb L2 Cache, 533mhz Bus / 2gb RAM / 1800gb+ HDD's / NVIDIA GeForce 6200 / Lite-On 165H6S CD DVD+/- DVD+/-DL /  Plextor PX-708UF /
Hauppage WinTV HVR-950Q / Hauppage WinTV PVR PCI II 250 / Hauppage WinTV PVR USB2 / XP Pro SP3 / Windows 7

#7 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,738 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:17 AM

MGI in fact no longer exists that I'm aware of.

Roxio Acquires MGI Software

Published on Dec 3, 2001 12:00 AM

Roxio, the manufacturer of EZ CD creator announced today that they are acquiring MGI Software, a manufacturer of popular video editing software. The combination of the two companies will create a large new company with many popular software products.
About 2.3 million shares of Roxio stock will be issued to stockholders of MGI at the close of the transaction, the deal is worth about $32.8 million.

MGI's flagship product, Video Wave is bundled with many capture cards and other products. Roxio has a reputable past with CD burning software. It will be interesting to see what new software comes out of this deal.

cd
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here  How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here   Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista  
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!  

#8 Jamie Ather

Jamie Ather

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:57 AM

But shouldn't this 'Roxio' supply something for us then? I mean it isn't our fault that vista isn't compatible?

#9 ml

ml

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,048 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:10 AM

QUOTE (Jamie Ather @ May 30 2007, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But shouldn't this 'Roxio' supply something for us then? I mean it isn't our fault that vista isn't compatible?

The other side of that logic.........

Shouldn't Microsoft have made it possible to run the software that you currently own on Vista?

After all, it's Microsoft that issued software (Vista) which is not compatable with older software.  

Have you checked with Microsoft to see if they have a solution?

( Sorry.  It really annoys me when Microsoft issues a brand new operating system that makes ALL my current software obsolete.  And we let them get away with it ..... angry.gif   )

Edited by ml, 30 May 2007 - 09:16 AM.

ml

flying squirrel......"It's more of a gliding thing....."

Intel® Core™2 Duo 2.2 Ghz desktop processor E4500;
3GB DDR2 memory;
DL DVD±RW/CD-RW drive;
500GB SATA 7200 rpm hard drive;
Windows Vista Home Premium ,
ATI RADEON HD 2400,Built-in TV tuner , High-definition audio (8-speaker support), HDMI
Multiformat media reader,
IEEE 1394 (FireWire) interface and 6 high-speed USB 2.0 ports,
PCI card with 4 USB 2.0 and 2 IEEE 1394 ports,
10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet

#10 Jamie Ather

Jamie Ather

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:23 PM

basic program?

Edited by Jamie Ather, 21 January 2008 - 09:07 AM.

#11 ogdens

ogdens

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,273 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE (Jamie Ather @ Jun 21 2007, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This isn't very fair!

Is there any chance Roxio could provide a basic program?

In 6 words or less - NO.

#12 cup@kikuta2008.com

cup@kikuta2008.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 02:26 AM

I had the same problem with my computer now and I decided to switch back to the XP as I didn't want to buy new softwares but I suppose I'll have to do it eventually.

___
my blog

#13 gaper1

gaper1

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 06:01 AM

QUOTE (Jamie Ather @ May 21 2007, 01:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thoughts?

If that's true, does that mean all my programs for Windows 95 like Microsoft Office 97 will get a patch for Windows Vista? Can you check with the man at PC World and see what he says about that?

#14 4plaintruth

4plaintruth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE (Larry @ Apr 5 2007, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If it's an MGI version (like the old 4 noted in the thread topic) it's not going to work under Vista and there is nothing you can do to make it work.

biggrin.gif I just figured out HOW to make Photosuite 4 work in Vista. I have the Home Premium version. I tried twice to install it, but it hung at 99% install. Then, I tried again, and found that if I changed the color to 16 bit from 32, and the resolution to a minimum of 800 x 600 (have it at 1024 x 768) it should work. Then it loaded when I put the disc back in. So try these things and see what happens. I only give up after every rock has been turned over, and the fat lady sings.  wink.gif

#15 sasquatch2008

sasquatch2008

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 10:05 PM

To answere your question The new photosuite 8 is a pain in the &*^ It takes away most of the control that we had to edit photo's and I would take my old copy of photo suite 4 platinum any day over the new one. As for running in windows vista have you tried "running in windows xp compatible mode"? After installing it you should be able to go into properties and click "run in" and there should be a list of older os to select. As for me My photo suite 4 was lost in a fire along with my computer and my house. If you can't make yours work would you consider selling your copy?   unsure.gif

#16 Logun

Logun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE (Larry @ Apr 5 2007, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have MGI Photosuite 4 and have been using it for years. Mine works fine with Vista. It installed without any problems. I made no adjustments. This one is not the platinum version.
If there are questions, my email is Logunsrun5 at aol.com

Edited by Brendon, 03 October 2008 - 01:52 PM.

#17 lynn98109

lynn98109

Digital Master

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 12:33 PM

Logun -

These are public Forums, searched by google and other searach engines, which in turn are searched by spammers seeking to "harvest" email addresses for spamming purposes.

I'd suggest you edit your email address - if it isn't already too late.  If anyone wants to contact you, they can use the Roxio PM system up toward the top of the page (Messenger).

Lynn

#18 bbeards4

bbeards4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE (ml @ May 30 2007, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The other side of that logic.........

Shouldn't Microsoft have made it possible to run the software that you currently own on Vista?

After all, it's Microsoft that issued software (Vista) which is not compatable with older software.  

Have you checked with Microsoft to see if they have a solution?

( Sorry.  It really annoys me when Microsoft issues a brand new operating system that makes ALL my current software obsolete.  And we let them get away with it ..... angry.gif   )

I COULDNT AGREE MORE!!!  ITS KIND OF LIKE THE DISNEY MOVIE "BUGS LIFE".  WE NEED TO TAKE INSPIRATION FROM THAT AND TAKE OUR PRIDE BACK.

LATE...

CLINT

#19 Poppo 1457

Poppo 1457

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:17 AM

View Postjohnnymup, on 10 March 2007 - 11:03 AM, said:

[font=Times New Roman][size=4]

I have used MGI Photosuite products for years and am very happy and familiar with it's format etc.

My new computer with Windows Visa will not accept my old Photosuite 4 Platinum version, and I wanted to either download  to fix it or buy the new version. However, I see that Roxio have taken over MGI.

Can anybody tell me if the Roxio Photosuite is similar to the MGI one, or will I have to learn the Roxio version from scratch?

There may be something else at work here. My Photosuite 4 Platinum version worked fine on Vista and Windows 7 until it stopped for some reason. Now on window 7 when I click computer the program just shuts down. When I click computer in Vista, I get the root message.

#20 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,612 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 04:41 AM

View PostPoppo 1457, on 02 April 2011 - 02:17 AM, said:

There may be something else at work here. My Photosuite 4 Platinum version worked fine on Vista and Windows 7 until it stopped for some reason. Now on window 7 when I click computer the program just shuts down. When I click computer in Vista, I get the root message.

Wow, it must be the season for resurrecting threads that were started over 4 years ago and have been dead for almost 3 years.  :blink: :blink: :blink:

Edited by grandpabruce, 02 April 2011 - 04:45 AM.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

Main System:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard; Cooler Master ATCS 840 Case
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
PLEXTOR Black DVD Burner, Model PX-880SA; Pioneer Black 8X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R Burner
EVGA GEFORCE GTX 670 2GB Video Card
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users