• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Blackbird71

Blackbird71

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:55 AM

I have been working at the same project for over a week thanks to the number of bugs in Roxio EMC8, and needless to say I'm getting a bit frustrated.  After spending a week trying to fix video/audio sync issues, I finally had the project ready for burning.  When I attempted to burn directly to disc, the project began encoding the movies.  All was well until it reached the menus. My project consisted of two menus, a main menu and a chapter menu.  When it reached the first (main) menu, it encoded up until 81% (97% of total poject) and then it stopped.  The program didn't freeze or lock, there was no error, the encoding just stopped at that point and continued no further.  My CPU and memory usage dropped to zero, and everything remained that way for over 10 minutes, so I feel it was safe to say that nothing was happening.  I was able to cancel the encoding and start over.

On the second try, I decided to try burning to an ISO instead of disc.  The encoding process made it to the second(chapter) menu, and then stopped again, also at 81% of the menu.  On the third try, it stopped at 81% of the first menu again.  Meanwhile, I had been searching the forums for a solution, and I found the menuencode hotfix (why can't roxio list all the hotfixes on the software updates page instead of making us search through countless posts before they turn up?).  I immediately downloaded and installed this hotfix, and I set MyDVD to burn the fourth time.  It worked, the ISO was created successfully.  I then burned the ISO to disc.  However, on placing the disc in my DVD player, I discovered I had made a mistake with the layout.  I did not look forward to recoding the entire project, but I figured that since it was now working, it shouldn't be a problem.  I fixed my mistakes and set the project to encode for the fifth time.  It froze on the first menu at 81%.  Sixth time, first meny, 81%.  Even after re-applying the hotfix, no luck.  I can't figure out what was done differently or why it would work once, but not any other time.

I seriously doubt that the problem has anything to do with my hardware or computer settings, as if that were the case, it shouldn't have worked the one time.  However, I'll list my system info anyway in case it helps:

I am running Windows XP Media Center Edition on a 2.8GHz processor with 256MB video RAM and 1GB DDR2 RAM.  I have a 100GB hard drive with approximately 25 GB of free space. I am using DirectX 9.0c, and have disabled any and all programs from running in the background.  I can't think of anything else that might be useful, but if there's something else that would help let me know and I'll find out.

Anyway, thanks in advance to all those willing to try to help me in this.  I'll keep trying other options for now, but I hope someone out there knows how to fix this.

#2 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,697 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE (Blackbird71 @ Apr 2 2007, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have been working at the same project for over a week thanks to the number of bugs in Roxio EMC8, and needless to say I'm getting a bit frustrated. After spending a week trying to fix video/audio sync issues, I finally had the project ready for burning. When I attempted to burn directly to disc, the project began encoding the movies. All was well until it reached the menus. My project consisted of two menus, a main menu and a chapter menu. When it reached the first (main) menu, it encoded up until 81% (97% of total poject) and then it stopped. The program didn't freeze or lock, there was no error, the encoding just stopped at that point and continued no further. My CPU and memory usage dropped to zero, and everything remained that way for over 10 minutes, so I feel it was safe to say that nothing was happening. I was able to cancel the encoding and start over.

On the second try, I decided to try burning to an ISO instead of disc. The encoding process made it to the second(chapter) menu, and then stopped again, also at 81% of the menu. On the third try, it stopped at 81% of the first menu again. Meanwhile, I had been searching the forums for a solution, and I found the menuencode hotfix (why can't roxio list all the hotfixes on the software updates page instead of making us search through countless posts before they turn up?). I immediately downloaded and installed this hotfix, and I set MyDVD to burn the fourth time. It worked, the ISO was created successfully. I then burned the ISO to disc. However, on placing the disc in my DVD player, I discovered I had made a mistake with the layout. I did not look forward to recoding the entire project, but I figured that since it was now working, it shouldn't be a problem. I fixed my mistakes and set the project to encode for the fifth time. It froze on the first menu at 81%. Sixth time, first meny, 81%. Even after re-applying the hotfix, no luck. I can't figure out what was done differently or why it would work once, but not any other time.

I seriously doubt that the problem has anything to do with my hardware or computer settings, as if that were the case, it shouldn't have worked the one time. However, I'll list my system info anyway in case it helps:

I am running Windows XP Media Center Edition on a 2.8GHz processor with 256MB video RAM and 1GB DDR2 RAM. I have a 100GB hard drive with approximately 25 GB of free space. I am using DirectX 9.0c, and have disabled any and all programs from running in the background. I can't think of anything else that might be useful, but if there's something else that would help let me know and I'll find out.

Anyway, thanks in advance to all those willing to try to help me in this. I'll keep trying other options for now, but I hope someone out there knows how to fix this.

Two options that may help.  Encode in the software mode (MyDVD top menu>tools>options>put a dot by software) or for some people, open MyDVD from the Windows>Start>Programs> EMC8 etc.
PC  
Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin):  Windows 8.1 64 bit, I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#3 Blackbird71

Blackbird71

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 12:47 PM

QUOTE (sknis @ Apr 2 2007, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Two options that may help.  Encode in the software mode (MyDVD top menu>tools>options>put a dot by software) or for some people, open MyDVD from the Windows>Start>Programs> EMC8 etc.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I always open MyDVD or any of the other subprograms directly from the start menu as EMC8 seems to have fewer issues with fewer open layers.  However, I have not yet tried the software mode, it will be my next attempt.

This still doesn't explain why it would have worked once and not again though, and I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone else may have on this question.

Thanks again!

#4 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,476 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE (Blackbird71 @ Apr 2 2007, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the suggestions.  I always open MyDVD or any of the other subprograms directly from the start menu as EMC8 seems to have fewer issues with fewer open layers.  However, I have not yet tried the software mode, it will be my next attempt.

This still doesn't explain why it would have worked once and not again though, and I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone else may have on this question.

Thanks again!

Steve's solution sounds like the right solution.  Onboard video chip?
Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

Main System:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard; Cooler Master ATCS 840 Case
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
PLEXTOR Black DVD Burner, Model PX-880SA; Pioneer Black 8X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R Burner
EVGA GEFORCE GTX 670 2GB Video Card
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

#5 Blackbird71

Blackbird71

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE (grandpabruce @ Apr 2 2007, 02:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Steve's solution sounds like the right solution.  Onboard video chip?

No, it's not an onboard chip, it's a separate card.  Anyway, the software render worked, sort of.  The menu encoded properly, and the ISO itself looks fine when I load it into an emulator, but then when I go to burn it to a disc, the audio and video are out of sync again.  Oh well, probably another problem for another thread ... sad.gif

#6 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,476 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE (Blackbird71 @ Apr 2 2007, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, it's not an onboard chip, it's a separate card.  Anyway, the software render worked, sort of.  The menu encoded properly, and the ISO itself looks fine when I load it into an emulator, but then when I go to burn it to a disc, the audio and video are out of sync again.  Oh well, probably another problem for another thread ... sad.gif

Then it could be bad media, or your burner needs a firmware upgrade.  Make sure that you have the latest firmware for your burner, and try a different brand/type of media.
Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

Main System:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard; Cooler Master ATCS 840 Case
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
PLEXTOR Black DVD Burner, Model PX-880SA; Pioneer Black 8X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R Burner
EVGA GEFORCE GTX 670 2GB Video Card
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

#7 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,697 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:32 AM

QUOTE (Blackbird71 @ Apr 2 2007, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, it's not an onboard chip, it's a separate card. Anyway, the software render worked, sort of. The menu encoded properly, and the ISO itself looks fine when I load it into an emulator, but then when I go to burn it to a disc, the audio and video are out of sync again. Oh well, probably another problem for another thread ... sad.gif

If the iso looks good, except for what grandpabruce said, there should be no reasons for that iso file to be in sync in preview and out of sync when copied to a disc.  You are using Disc Copier to copy that iso file to the disc, correct?   When you opened Disc Copier, did you preview it there?  Was it OK?

Have you tried the disc in different DVD players?
PC  
Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin):  Windows 8.1 64 bit, I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#8 Blackbird71

Blackbird71

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 03:05 AM

QUOTE (grandpabruce @ Apr 2 2007, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Then it could be bad media, or your burner needs a firmware upgrade.  Make sure that you have the latest firmware for your burner, and try a different brand/type of media.

I've tried a couple of different brands of media with no change, as well as a couple of different burners, and firmware and all drivers are as updated as they get.  Results were the same.

QUOTE (sknis @ Apr 3 2007, 01:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If the iso looks good, except for what grandpabruce said, there should be no reasons for that iso file to be in sync in preview and out of sync when copied to a disc.  You are using Disc Copier to copy that iso file to the disc, correct?   When you opened Disc Copier, did you preview it there?  Was it OK?

Have you tried the disc in different DVD players?

Yes I have been using Disc Copier to copy the iso, but I haven't tried previewing it there.  What I ended up doing was using a different burning program to burn the iso and it turned out much better, so I got it to work, just not in Roxio's programs.  I'd rather not have to switch programs in the future, but it looks like that's the way it may have to be for now.  Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users