• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 frinkenstein

frinkenstein

Rookie

• Roxio Staff
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 09:33 AM

Here's a handy set of FAQs that might help you to get started using this amazing piece of software (well, we think it's amazing!!):

Q. What kind of devices can be synchronized/backed up?

A. Any device that can be accessed via a normal Windows drive letter or UNC path name (e.g. "\\mypc") that you can use in the normal Windows file explorer.  Examples are other computers, USB drives, mp3 players etc.

Q. How do I connect two computers together to synchronize?

A. The computers need to be connected via a network.  You will need a network card in both computers.  Most computers these days come with a network card already installed.  If you are just connecting two computers then you can just use a CAT 5 Crossover cable to connect them directly together.

Q. How do I allow the files on my computer to be accessed over the network so they can be synchronized?

A. The destination computer (the one not running AJC Synchronizer) needs to have the directory holding the files shared on the network.  For advice on how to share the directory on Windows XP, see:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharin...filesharing.htm

Q. I have installed the trial version on Windows 2000/XP as an administrator user and it works fine and tells me I have 30 days trial left.  If I logon as another non admin user it tells me the trial period has expired.

A. This is a problem with the trial version only.  Please test the software as a user with administrator rights.  When you purchase a license the software will work correctly for every user where the license has been applied.

Q. How do I find the files that had transfer errors on the report?

A. Files that had errors will be left in the Files to transfer list.  You can review the list again to fix the problems and try the transfer again.

Q. When synchronizing files I get an "access denied" error?

A. This is because you do not have the correct write permissions on your destination.  There are 3 places where you may need to setup the permissions (on Win 2000 or XP Pro):
  1. Permissions on a directory network share.  In Windows explorer, right click on a directory and choose Sharing.  Click on the Permissions button and add the user who is doing the sync with Full Control permissions.
  2. Permissions on the destination directories.  In Windows explorer, right click on a directory and choose Security.  You need to add a user who is doing the sync with Full control permissions.
    To test the permissions are set correctly it is best to try copying a file to the other machine using the normal Windows explorer.  If this works then a synchronize should also work because it just uses the normal Windows file copy functions.
  3. Permissions on individual files may cause just these files to fail if they are not set correctly.    In Windows explorer, right click on the problem file and choose Security.  You need to give write permission to the user who is doing the sync.

Q. When the clocks have changed by an hour it wants to transfer all my unmodified files again.  Why is this and how can I stop it?

A. The software already has facilities to cope with this.  It is caused because you are synchronizing between two types of OS e.g. Win 95/98 and Win 2000/XP or possibly a NAS drive.  These different operating systems store date/time stamps differently and they will go out of sync when summer time changes start or end.

To make the software cope with this do the following:
  1. Go to the Prepare Synchronize List window.
  2. Then either:
    a. Click on the Use Easy Wizard button and during the wizard select the "Connecting between computers running Windows 95/98 and Windows NT/2000/XP" and then also select the "Your country uses daylight saving" option.
    OR b. Go to the Tuning tab and select the "Allow an hour difference in modification stamps" and "Allow modification stamps to be 2 seconds different".

Q. When I delete files from computer A and then sync they are copied back again from computer B.  I want them deleted on computer B also.

A. You need to set it up to synchronize file deletions.  On the Prepare Synchronize List window click on the Use Easy Wizard button, follow the on screen prompts and choose a two way synchronize which will setup all of the logic for you.

If you want to do this manually go to the Prepare Synchronize List window Options tab and select the "Synchronize file deletions" option.

You need to do at least one full sync to build up a history before deletions will begin to be synchronized.

Q. How can I run multiple projects at one time?

A. You can run multiple projects together by creating a batch (.bat) file that runs each project in turn using the command line options.  For details of the command line options please see the help file.

Q. How can I sync more than one pair of directories at the same time?

A. If all of the directories that you want to sync are under the same directory tree (e.g. they are all on one drive or network share) then you can sync them in the same project.  Just select the top level (e.g. C:\) directories as the left and right sides.  Then use the Explorer tab and clear the check boxes against directories that you do not want to sync.

If the directories are not under the same directory tree then you will need to create multiple projects.  It is still possible to run multiple projects at the same time by creating a batch (.bat) file that runs each project in turn using the command line options.  For details of the command line options please see the help file.

Q. How can I restore files that have been archived during synchronization.

A. There are several ways to do this.
From the Explorer, Sync list or History tabs you can click on the View archive button.  This will open the archive viewer for the selected file.  If you have not installed the archive viewer you will be prompted to download this free program.
With the archive viewer installed you have another way to view archives.  In the normal Windows explorer you can right click on a file and select "undo from AJC Archive".
Within the archive viewer you have the options to compare, open and restore older versions of a file.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users