• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 Dougham

Dougham

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:51 PM

Can anyone tell me what "Media Manager Services" in my System Tray is?
Why does it need to "Watch Folders"?

Regards

Doug

#2 FwFdfireman

FwFdfireman

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:15 AM

QUOTE (Dougham @ Apr 11 2007, 12:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Regards

Doug

Watches your folders for any new media added, like many other media programs do. Add a bunch of new pictures, Media Manager keeps track of them and when new media is added, it will open up and allow you to do some editing and organizing of the new stuff.

Personally, I don't need or want the feature so I turned it off, like many others. When I want to work with any photos or videos, I know where they are at and import them myself. No need having ANOTHER RESOURCE running all the time.

Edited by FwFdfireman, 11 April 2007 - 01:17 AM.

You deleted WHAT??!!

Systemax Sabre
Board: Intel Corporation D975XBX AAD27094-305
2.93 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Extreme (X6800 Extreme - NO OC.
64 kilobyte primary memory cache // 4096 kilobyte secondary memory cache
c: (NTFS on drive 0) 250.05 GB // d: (NTFS on drive 1) 400.09 GB
650.13 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity // 573.36 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
PLEXTOR DVDR PX-755A [CD-ROM drive] // SONY CD-RW CRX320EE [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]
Radeon X1900 CrossFire Edition [Display adapter] // Radeon X1900 CrossFire Edition Secondary [Display adapter]
Samsung SyncMaster [Monitor] (20.2"vis, s/n HVFL504267, May 2006)
Creative SB XFi Sound Card running Altec Lansing Surround Sound Speakers
WindowsXP SP2 and all the "Critical" updates too!

#3 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,535 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:02 AM

QUOTE (Dougham @ Apr 11 2007, 01:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Regards

Doug

You can turn it off two different ways.  The best way is through msconfig.  Go to Start/Run, type in msconfig, and when the next screen comes up, click on the Startup tab.  Uncheck RoxiWatch, Drag to Dsk, and any other box with Roxio by it.

Click Apply, Okay, then reboot.
Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

Main System:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard; Cooler Master ATCS 840 Case
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
PLEXTOR Black DVD Burner, Model PX-880SA; Pioneer Black 8X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R Burner
EVGA GEFORCE GTX 670 2GB Video Card
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

#4 peter prewett

peter prewett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE (grandpabruce @ Apr 11 2007, 04:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can turn it off two different ways.  The best way is through msconfig.  Go to Start/Run, type in msconfig, and when the next screen comes up, click on the Startup tab.  Uncheck RoxiWatch, Drag to Dsk, and any other box with Roxio by it.

Click Apply, Okay, then reboot.

The Software should give you the opportunity to disable this feature, the above is hardly user friendly and it causes other problems on boot up with error messages eventually I uninstalled the SW.
Its another example of things being foisted upon us without the option of actually loading and disabling parts that one does or does not need.
It could have easily been included in the SW a simple not run at startup icon seeing that other applications manage it.
I suppose that is to hard for Roxio.

#5 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,535 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 04:34 AM

QUOTE (peter prewett @ May 8 2007, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Software should give you the opportunity to disable this feature, the above is hardly user friendly and it causes other problems on boot up with error messages eventually I uninstalled the SW.
Its another example of things being foisted upon us without the option of actually loading and disabling parts that one does or does not need.
It could have easily been included in the SW a simple not run at startup icon seeing that other applications manage it.
I suppose that is to hard for Roxio.

I don't know if it is hard for Roxio or not.  This is a user forum, so you aren't talking to Roxio directly.  Every once in awhile a Roxio person will drop in.

You can right click on that icon in the tray and stop it.  You can also disable it in Media Manager.  And, you have the option of not installing Media Manager when you install the program.

There are three easy, alternate ways to do it.
Life is good!
GrandpaBruce

Main System:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard; Cooler Master ATCS 840 Case
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
PLEXTOR Black DVD Burner, Model PX-880SA; Pioneer Black 8X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R Burner
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

#6 John at Roxio

John at Roxio

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:30 AM

All of these ways are pretty much standard ways of doing things in Windows.  Bruce actually mentioned the most simple one (manage all your apps at once, not each one independantly).  Most apps have the option to disable things like this from within the applicaiton but rather then remembering each every different applicaitons location where this option is, most windows users choose to have windows itself manage things like this.

#7 Frans_NL

Frans_NL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:35 AM

Hello,
How can I disable (definite switch it off) the “Media Manager Services” that it don’t show up in my system tray when I start the computer.
Or maybe better: is it possible to uninstall only the “Media Manager Services” SW, and let the Roxio Creator SW as it is.
The OS is: Windows Vista
Thanks

DELL Vostro 200s
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2,66GHz 4MB cache
3GB 667MHz RAM
500GB Serial ATA2 (2x250GB)internal Hd
Dutch - Windows Vista Business, SP1, 32 bit operating system
ATI Radeon HD2400XT 256MB Video Card

#8 lynn98109

lynn98109

Digital Master

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:52 AM

QUOTE (Frans_NL @ Sep 10 2008, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello,
How can I disable (definite switch it off) the “Media Manager Services” that it don’t show up in my system tray when I start the computer.
Or maybe better: is it possible to uninstall only the “Media Manager Services” SW, and let the Roxio Creator SW as it is.
The OS is: Windows Vista
Thanks

Have you tried the suggestions in posts 3, 5, and 6?

Lynn

#9 GBR

GBR

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:16 PM

Nics one!  Hasn't given me any problems, but I have now disabaled it thanks to reading this thread

Thank you
GBR
Dell Dimension 9200
Intel Core ™2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13 GHz
2Gb RAM, 500Gb internal Hd
Windows Vista Home Premium, SP1, 32 bit operating system
NVidia GeForce 7900 GS
Creative SB X-Fi audio processor
HAUPPAUGE WinTV PVR PCI 11(26xxx)
HL-DT-ST  DVD+-RW GSA-H31N
Philips DVD-ROM DROM6316

#10 Frans_NL

Frans_NL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE (lynn98109 @ Sep 10 2008, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you tried the suggestions in posts 3, 5, and 6?

Lynn

Hi Lynn,
Yes I have tried, with the following results:
#3 Uncheck in msconfig causes a error message after reboot
#5 Disabled the icon in the tray. Every time I startup the computer it appears again in the system tray. I want to switch it off for good. Media Manager Services is installed on my computer when I installed the Roxio Creator SW.
#6 I have tried to find the switch off option for MMS in de Roxio Creator SW but up till now I didn’t find it.

Do you have any suggestions?

Frans

QUOTE (GBR @ Sep 10 2008, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nics one!  Hasn't given me any problems, but I have now disabaled it thanks to reading this thread

Thank you
GBR

What do you mean with “Nics one!”?

Frans

DELL Vostro 200s
3GB 667MHz RAM

#11 GBR

GBR

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:05 AM

'Nice one' - sorry if my English expression confused you - I simply meant it was a nice tip to get rid of something I don't use.  I think what I did was right click on it and selec 'exit (stop managing my media services) or whatever the option was.  It first re-appeared with a red cross through it and now it has gone altogether so I am very happy with the result.  I could have lived with it being there with a red cross through it anyway.

GBR
Dell Dimension 9200
Intel Core ™2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13 GHz
2Gb RAM, 500Gb internal Hd
Windows Vista Home Premium, SP1, 32 bit operating system
NVidia GeForce 7900 GS
Creative SB X-Fi audio processor
HAUPPAUGE WinTV PVR PCI 11(26xxx)
HL-DT-ST  DVD+-RW GSA-H31N
Philips DVD-ROM DROM6316

#12 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,937 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE (Frans_NL @ Sep 11 2008, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Lynn,
#5 Disabled the icon in the tray. Every time I startup the computer it appears again in the system tray. I want to switch it off for good. Media Manager Services is installed on my computer when I installed the Roxio Creator SW.
#6 I have tried to find the switch off option for MMS in de Roxio Creator SW but up till now I didn't find it.

What is the error message you are getting after reboot? If you are getting an error message then the msconfig most likely did not work and MMS will continue to be loaded and appear in the tray

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#13 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,535 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE (Frans_NL @ Sep 11 2008, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Lynn,
#6 I have tried to find the switch off option for MMS in de Roxio Creator SW but up till now I didn’t find it.

Do you have any suggestions?

Frans

What do you mean with “Nics one!”?

Frans

Click on the EMC 10 icon on your desktop.  When it opens, click on Applications, then click on the Media Manager icon, below Applications.  Once Media Manager opens, click on Tools, at the top of the screen, then click on Stop Watching Folders.  Then, close Media Manager.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce

Main System:
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

#14 gi7omy

gi7omy

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,033 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 04:09 AM

The 'error message' you get at treboot is simply windows telling you that something in the startup has been disabled (which is as it should be - you did disable it). There is an option on that message not to show it again - just tick that and tell it to go away, that you KNOW you disabled a startup item and that will be the last you see of it
If it ain't broke, fiddle with it until it breaks, then fiddle with it until you get it fixed

"Rincewind could scream for mercy in nineteen languages and just scream in another forty-four "

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee; that will do them in."

“Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.” — Mitch Ratcliffe

Daithi

Home Brew computer
Intel I7 950 on Gigabyte X58A UD3R mobo
12 GB Three Channel DDRAM
Radeon HD4850 512 MB GDR3 graphics
Signalink USB Audio Codec for ham radio connection
1 x 160 GB, 1 x 330 GB, 1 x 400 GB IDE drives
4 x 250 GB SATA 2
LG HL-DT-ST GGW-H20L BD-RE drive
22" Acer P223W monitor

EMC 7.5 on Windows XP 32 SP3
EMC10 on Windows XP64 SP2
Creator 2011 on Windows 7 Ultimate
ECD6 on Gentoo Linux (running under VMWare)

#15 Frans_NL

Frans_NL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:48 AM

The “problem” is solved, the MMS icon is disappeared from the system tray.
Grandpa Bruce placed me on the right track. But I did it a different way than he described. For those who are curious, herewith the procedure:

Startup Roxio Creator. On your left hand side click the tab: Audio.  Click the option: Audio CD.  On the right hand side you see the window: Quick Find. Select here the option: Settings… A new window appears named: Watched Folders Settings. Uncheck here the option: Watch Folders at startup. Then: OK.

That’s it, thanks.

Frans

DELL Vostro 200s
3GB 667MHz RAM

#16 publicsectorslave

publicsectorslave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE (Frans_NL @ Sep 12 2008, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Startup Roxio Creator. On your left hand side click the tab: Audio.  Click the option: Audio CD.  On the right hand side you see the window: Quick Find. Select here the option: Settings… A new window appears named: Watched Folders Settings. Uncheck here the option: Watch Folders at startup. Then: OK.

Simple as that....
Thank you Frans biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

#17 tpickard

tpickard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:12 PM

I'm with Peter on MSCONFIG. It is not the way to go. It is meant as a troubleshooting tool and it nags like one so you don't accidently keep it running. Seems to me that that means you shouldn't run it all the time.

PublicSectorSlave already posted this, but I missed it. Maybe this will attract more attention.
Here's the way to beat this example of Roxio's obnoxious crapware (crapware: useless junk foisted on users by a vendor (ex: Media Manager Services):

"Here’s how to turn off the Media Manager Services icon:

1.Start Roxio Creator
2.On the left side, click Audio.
3.Then click Audio CD
4.On the right bottom, click the Settings button in the “Quick Find” menu to the right.
5.Uncheck Watch Folders at Startup
6.Then click OK"

BTW, I just reinstalled Creater on my computer and I did not see an option to not install this junk, Yes, I was looking for it!

#18 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,535 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:25 PM

View Posttpickard, on 09 March 2011 - 07:12 PM, said:

I'm with Peter on MSCONFIG. It is not the way to go. It is meant as a troubleshooting tool and it nags like one so you don't accidently keep it running. Seems to me that that means you shouldn't run it all the time.

PublicSectorSlave already posted this, but I missed it. Maybe this will attract more attention.
Here's the way to beat this example of Roxio's obnoxious crapware (crapware: useless junk foisted on users by a vendor (ex: Media Manager Services):

"Here’s how to turn off the Media Manager Services icon:

1.Start Roxio Creator
2.On the left side, click Audio.
3.Then click Audio CD
4.On the right bottom, click the Settings button in the “Quick Find” menu to the right.
5.Uncheck Watch Folders at Startup
6.Then click OK"

BTW, I just reinstalled Creater on my computer and I did not see an option to not install this junk, Yes, I was looking for it!

There were several solutions posted in this thread, which has been dead for 2-1/2 years, including the one that you posted now.

Also, since this is Media Manager services that needs to be stopped, if a person doesn't want to use msconfig to disable it, then the next obvious solution would be to go to Media Manager, and disable it there.

Edited by grandpabruce, 09 March 2011 - 07:27 PM.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce

Main System:
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users