ggrussell

New nVidia drivers - V101.02?

Question

28 answers to this question

This site claims to have the latest nVidia drivers, but they aren't poste on nVidia's site yet. ??? For Vista and Win2K/XP

Those are Vista only drivers I believe. NVidia list 101.41 as their Beta, and with past experience, I suspect that the 101.70 is the next release. As to whether that is really the next release, only time will tell. I only get the drivers from the NVidia site. Not sure I would trust it from anywhere else.

XP current is 93.71 with a beta of 93.81. And 97.94 for the 8800 series. I suspect they have been putting all their resources in getting a Vista driver out over updating the XP ones.

I only get the drivers from the NVidia site. Not sure I would trust it from anywhere else.

The ATI or NVidia site, sounds like good advice!

cd

The ATI or NVidia site, sounds like good advice!

cd

ATI used to catch heck for not providing updated drivers for their video cards. They rectified that problem.

NVidia hasn't had an updated driver for my card, in over 5 months. :angry:

ATI used to catch heck for not providing updated drivers for their video cards. They rectified that problem.

NVidia hasn't had an updated driver for my card, in over 5 months. :angry:

You might try the beta. I used it for a while with no problem on my old 7950.

You might try the beta. I used it for a while with no problem on my old 7950. :lol::lol::lol:

cd

Those are Vista only drivers I believe.
Did you even LOOK at the website before making that statement? NO, it is also for WinXP!!!! Supposedly these are not hacked or Beta. They still don't fix the problem with still images jerking in a slideshow with MyDVD/Videowave. I'm beginning to believe it's more a problem with Videowave.

(Snip)

Supposedly these are not hacked or Beta. They still don't fix the problem with still images jerking in a slideshow with MyDVD/Videowave. I'm beginning to believe it's more a problem with Videowave.

I'd agree with you, except for one thing. This does not happen on my backup computer, which has an ATI 9800 Pro card in it. The 9800 Pro IS an old card.

Did you even LOOK at the website before making that statement? NO, it is also for WinXP!!!! Supposedly these are not hacked or Beta. They still don't fix the problem with still images jerking in a slideshow with MyDVD/Videowave. I'm beginning to believe it's more a problem with Videowave.

An interesting thing. The jerking before a transition happens with Pinnacle Studio also There are posts about his on their users group. BTW, no solution the last time I looked.

This might indicate that Windows or the video cards contribute to the problem.

Yes I did. I looked at the NVidia web site and the site you listed. The NVidia site points to the 93.* release. When you select Vista it points to the 101.* release. Also the website you mention only states Vista for the 101.70 is for Vista, not XP.

The 101.02 it shows for XP, I would be very leery about as it is so far ahead at this point from what the NVidia site has. Did you also note that they have made modifications to that driver. Supposedly to work with "any" NVidia card.

If the NVidia site comes out with something marked as 101.* for XP, I will download it. But I only download from there site. Been burnt before by so called driver sites.

I will keep an eye out to see what is the next release by NVidia. I usually check these kind of sites on a daily basis.

EDIT - I should also add that NVidia aways digitally signs it's official releases. If you got a warning about the driver not being signed, it is probably a beta.

Edited by marlinsinger

NVidia has released some new drivers today, but not for XP based 6 and 7 Series. It also looks like some new series of cards will be coming out 8500 and 8600 series.

New version for the 8800 XP and Vista drivers is 158.18 for Vista and 158.19 for XP.

New Version for the 7 and 6 series cards for Vista is 158.18.

Unfortunately version for the 6 and 7 series cards for XP is still 93.71 released 11/02/2006.

Have a feeling that they won't be supporting the older cards much longer. Due to all the problems with Videowave, I'm seriously thinking about going back to ATI. Seems like the newer cards are so hot, they need huge fans and two slots to keep them cool. I just don't have that room in my case.

Really odd - there doesn't seem to be ANY WinXP drivers for Geforce 7 listed any more. Gotta be a website problem LOL

post-49-1176844916.jpg

Edited by ggrussell

I'm seriously thinking about going back to ATI.

agreed.gifagreed.gifagreed.gif

cd

Have a feeling that they won't be supporting the older cards much longer. Due to all the problems with Videowave, I'm seriously thinking about going back to ATI. Seems like the newer cards are so hot, they need huge fans and two slots to keep them cool. I just don't have that room in my case.

Really odd - there doesn't seem to be ANY WinXP drivers for Geforce 7 listed any more. Gotta be a website problem LOL

The drivers for XP are not listed under the Geforce 6 or 7 series. They are listed under the GeForce and TNT listing. I have a feeling the drivers for Vista may be getting complicated enough that they can't do a one size fits all.

As far as size and fans for the cards, I took a look at the 8500 and 8600 on BFG Techs site. They are single slot and the 8500 has a tiny fan. Biggest problem I have with the cards is not the 2 slots, but the length. The 8800 is about 1-2" longer than my 7950 at just under 10" long. The 8800 with 768 memory is 11" long. I would need a full tower for that thing. The 8800 640mb is the same length though of some of the older 7800 series that used 2 slots.

As far as the ATI's, we had some at work, nothing fancy, but had nothing but problems with drivers.

Edit - Something I just noticed. The 158.* are all listed as Beta drivers. I wondered why I got the digital signing message. I would expect you will see something for the 6 and 7 series soon. Especially since they have them for Vista for those series.

Edited by marlinsinger

That sucks, bigtime! I didn't think that my 7900GT was old, and the only reason I put it in this computer, is because of the SLI capabilities. I had planned on getting another 7900GT, as the motherboard does not support SLI with ATI cards.

Maybe I can sell this system. :(

That sucks, bigtime! I didn't think that my 7900GT was old, and the only reason I put it in this computer, is because of the SLI capabilities. I had planned on getting another 7900GT, as the motherboard does not support SLI with ATI cards.

I would doubt they will drop those cards any time real soon. Everyone doesn't want the high end stuff, nor do they need them if they are not doing a lot of video/gaming.

Edited by marlinsinger

I would doubt they will drop those cards any time real soon. Everyone doesn't want the high end stuff, nor do they need them if they are not doing a lot of video/gaming.

I don't gaming, outside of Links 2003 Golf, but I do video work and other work that is graphics intensive.

I don't gaming, outside of Links 2003 Golf, but I do video work and other work that is graphics intensive.

You would probably want to upgrade if you were to change out that NTSC tuner for an ATSC tuner for HD broadcasts. Also your monitor possibly.

I have a Kworld ATSC-110. Also record with Beyond TV. Unfortunately HD takes a lot of disk space. 10GB per hour.

It is nice though that I can record OTA with my PC and get the quality I get with my HD TV.

Try eBay :)

Lynn

The changes on the web site are coming fast and furious. They now have XP and other drivers listed under the Geforce 6 and 7 series. They must just be moving things around.

As far as the 7900, you can still even get a 6200 new from online retailers. You will have to get the same card/manufacturer if you go SLI, but you should not have any problem getting one.

As far as the ATI's, we had some at work, nothing fancy, but had nothing but problems with drivers.

What driver problems and what driver versions? What models and what brand of video cards?

cd

What driver problems and what driver versions? What models and what brand of video cards?

cd

Been too long, and as it wasn't my problem, I didn't get all the info. We were just told don't do any updates to the drivers due to previous problems. Systems there at that time had W2K, so don't know if that had anything to do about. We, or at least I was allowed to make any updates we wanted, including windows updates, just had to stay away from ATI drivers.

I used to be all ATI about 10 year ago. They used to have a lot of driver problems and that's why I switched to nVidia. I'm still relatively happy except for the jerky 3D transitions in Videowave. Still don't know if that is a driver problem or Videowave problem. Maybe we can get someone at Sonic/Roxio to look into it.

I was considering an ATI X1900 All-in-Wonder so I could free up a slot and still have the TV Tuner that is MCE certified. I haven't found any combo video/TV Tuner cards with an nVidia chipset. I know that the ATI software requires .net, but that's no biggie since WinXP MCE also requires that.