FLHaus

MS Admits to Vista Failure

Question

28 answers to this question

Most of us here are savvy enough to know that already but good the press is out there telling it like it is.

That was pretty well covered when it happened. Whatever operating systems Dell is offereing isn't the title of subject of the topic the poster created. The title is the posters opinion, to which he/she is entitled -- personally, I think it's bs...

I don't know how much of the articles are true......

but, Dell is offering computers with WinXP. Check it out here http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopi...;l=en&s=dhs

Sorry but personally I do not believe that the gods moved from Olympus to Redmond :lol:

I've seen Vista, worked with Vista and still think it's on a par with the ME edition of 9x - in other words, a disaster

Hmm . . . maybe chaznet is troll hired by the gods of Redmond?

Edited by sisterscape

The title is the posters opinion, to which he/she is entitled -- personally, I think it's bs...

Actually the subject title isn't an opinion. It is the title of the article. me thinks your judgement is clouded and lacking objectivity. But that's okay. We like you just the way you are. :blink:

Maybe you're right... With luck, things will get better with the 1st of what will probably be a long line of service packs. I've been using it for a few months on a laptop that shipped with it, and other than being surprisingly sluggish on what should be a very fast system, it has worked fine.

I was a systems admin when ME came out, and agree that it was a total disaster -- after a few encounters, I just refused to work with it. ME equaled reformat. I don't have that impression with Vista.

Sorry but personally I do not believe that the gods moved from Olympus to Redmond :lol:

I've seen Vista, worked with Vista and still think it's on a par with the ME edition of 9x - in other words, a disaster

Edited by chaznet

I was a systems admin when ME came out, and agree that it was a total disaster -- after a few encounters, I just refused to work with it. ME equaled reformat. I don't have that impression with Vista.

Same here - after a month of it, all machines got reformatted and 98SE went back on :P

Vista has that ME look and feel to it tho - as I said, tried it, found it's far too demanding on resources and in general, it stays well and truly off this machine (not to mention the lack of drivers, apps that won't work and so on)

Guest ml

From what I've read, Vista makes video editing and DVD burning programs run much slower. That's a HUGE minus for me.

From what I've read, Vista makes video editing and DVD burning programs run much slower. That's a HUGE minus for me.

In my few attempts in VW and My DVD, I found the opposite. It ran faster BUT, I was comparing the system MS loaned me (faster system) to my system. I'm running the 32bit Ultimate so I can't speak for other versions. I do plan on doing more testing in the next few months to see if I can really notice differences.

I also noticed much better speeds in working with photographs. Vista has done a much better job working with photos in my opinion.

I own a copy if Vista Ultimate that has gone uninstalled.

I was going to replace my MCE 2005 with it but then I found that:

My media extenders (two) will no longer function (This is the biggest problem and there are no intentions of the manufacturer (linksys) to offer support for Vista)

My AV software will no longer function. (What's another hundred bucks.. Right?)

My 3rd party firewall software will no longer function (There is an update for it now though)

There is no support for my Still Picture camera (However, I can download directly from the memory card)

Drivers not available yet for my "All in one" device (printer, scanner, fax machine)

Taking the above into consideration, except for the media extender issue, no big deal. Most of the same as far as hardware and software issues was the situation when XP was released.

I have had the pleasure :o working with Vista a few times in the last few weeks though. I can say that (well, I guess I really can't say #$@#$#@)

What would have taken about an hour or less to setup and tweak a new computer.... Took over 4 hours!

When I say set up a new computer, I mean just getting rid of the "trial" apps that come with a new computer, install a few needed pieces of software, then clean up all the temporary stuff left behind by the installs.

For instance... Adobe Acrobat (not just the reader, the full version) has three major updates since the software was first purchased.

I install the suite and after a reboot, it automatically launched the update manager (allow or deny). I turn the update manager loose, it downloads three separate files (allow or deny).

It starts to perform the first update, Vista suspects that this is suspicious activity, doesn't ask, just says that it will not let it continue.. OK, there is more than one way to skin a cat. Right?

However, now that Vista has flagged the app as "Bad" and the update never finished, the update kept trying to launch with every re-boot and every time Vista stopped it... Man!

Boot to safe mode right? Right... However in safe mode even if you are an administrator, your access to files and folders is REALLY limited. I was not able to get the update manager to quit launching and I was not able to get to where I needed to go to fix it. I could have done a system restore (I suspect) but that would have wiped out all the previous work that was just finished.

I had to remove the hard drive from the laptop, put in in an external USB drive case, and use another computer to manipulate the files!!!

There are lots of horror stories about Vista.. Face it though, It is here to stay!

Once the hardware vendors catch up with the required drivers, things will settle down a bit.

Now we can talk about the DRM that is imbedded... :blink:

I still say the winner will be Mac or Linux.

And I still remember the picture of a penguin throwing a snowball thru the panes of Windows.

Lynn

I still say the winner will be Mac or Linux.

And I still remember the picture of a penguin throwing a snowball thru the panes of Windows.

Lynn

I love the Mac & PC commercials. So True!

Mac's problem is the software available. At the store, there is 1/2 aisle for Mac, 4 aisles of PC software. Granted that a lot of the PC software is useless.

Linux.... I have been playing with it off and on for the last year or so. Certainly not for the general user. Maybe that's my problem..

I am waiting for the Commodore to make it's return.

I love the Mac & PC commercials. So True!

I am waiting for the Commodore to make it's return.

I've a Sinclair ZX81 and a Spectrum up in the attic.......... :D

Same here - after a month of it, all machines got reformatted and 98SE went back on :P

Vista has that ME look and feel to it tho - as I said, tried it, found it's far too demanding on resources and in general, it stays well and truly off this machine (not to mention the lack of drivers, apps that won't work and so on)

All this talk about Vista failure and so on :o

has put me off getting a new PC with Vista..

I was nearly on the verge of getting a new one from

PC World who have at present has some sales on

cos where I live PC World is moving to a new location..

My present PC is over 4 years old and was advised to get a new

one instead of upgrading and adding new parts to it..

Please advise :)

Thanks B)

Buy a copy of XP Pro (shop round on eBay or Amazon) and install that on a new machine

Buy a copy of XP Pro (shop round on eBay or Amazon) and install that on a new machine

Would you advise to buy a new PC

with Vista or XP

Thanks

Depends what's on offer - if you still have your MS copy of XP Home, it doesn'ty matter what's on the new m,achine - boot from the XP CD, let it format the drive and lo and behold, you have a new machine running XP

But, as I said, search round for OEM versions of XP Pro on eBay or Amazon and you can pick one up fairly cheaply

Depends what's on offer - if you still have your MS copy of XP Home, it doesn'ty matter what's on the new m,achine - boot from the XP CD, let it format the drive and lo and behold, you have a new machine running XP

But, as I said, search round for OEM versions of XP Pro on eBay or Amazon and you can pick one up fairly cheaply

Thanks very much..

I'll give a try..

B)

My first question would be what you want the computer FOR.

For internet, docs & spreadsheets, that kind of thing, you can get along with a Celeron and as little as half a gig of RAM (I have 786MB in the Beast - the 256 I was foolish enough to not have upgraded, and the 512 I added), assuming you get WinXP, as suggested. Check the WinXP specs, and aim for about twice the minimum.

If you want to do Video work, P4 and at least 1.5GB of RAM. But I'd still go with WinXP. WinXP works. Vista is trying to - and consumes resources like crazy.

Lynn

with Vista or XP

Thanks

XP. You can always decide later to dual to to Vista if you are so inclined. Or, you can try Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 in XP and try VIsta, Linux or whatever you want. Vista won't be 'fixed' for some time (when an newer OS is out).

Guest ml

with Vista or XP

Thanks

If you can possibly hold off on buying that new PC for a few months, do so.

Eventually all the new PCs will be running Vista and you don't want to be behind the curve.

If you cannot do that, visit the Microsoft site and buy a computer with the system requirements to run the Ultimate edition. The requirements are listed here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...quirements.mspx

Even if you buy a computer with the Home edition, Vista (as all Microsoft products) runs better if you exceed their requirements.

However, if you get Vista, you'll probably have to get all new software to run on it because it 'kills' older programs.

Dell is still selling computers with XP if you don't want Vista.

(Snip)

If you can possibly hold off on buying that new PC for a few months, do so.

Eventually all the new PCs will be running Vista and you don't want to be behind the curve.

In baseball terms, it's actually a slider. :) And, I don't bite on sliders. hehehe