bulldog17

Saving Messages From a Telephone Answering Machine

Question

If possible, how can I transfer the messages on my telephone answering machine to my computer? The only output my telephone answering machine has is a standard RJ-11 connector.

'Easy Audio Capture' can accept audio from a TAD, but what that really means is an internal voice modem. I have a typical external phone answering machine.

Perhaps there is a type of cable that has an RJ-11 connector on one end and an audio jack on the other? That way I can connect my answering machine directly to my sound card.

5 answers to this question

I'd be willing to bet that the other RJ11 is just outputting your dial tone for use by another device (phone).I've been in Telecommunications for 35 years and have never seen an RJ11 output audio.

The only solution I would see is if it was a tape machine and not digital.Then you might be able to find a tape player that would play that size tape and use Easy Audio Capture to capture the recordings.

I'd be willing to bet that the other RJ11 is just outputting your dial tone for use by another device (phone).I've been in Telecommunications for 35 years and have never seen an RJ11 output audio.

The only solution I would see is if it was a tape machine and not digital.Then you might be able to find a tape player that would play that size tape and use Easy Audio Capture to capture the recordings.

Maybe he could play back the messages and record it with a portable tape recoder. Then, use a cassette deck to transfer it to the computer.

Okay, it's a stretch, but it would work.

Maybe he could play back the messages and record it with a portable tape recoder. Then, use a cassette deck to transfer it to the computer.

Okay, it's a stretch, but it would work.

Thanks to both of you.

I haven't been in telecommunications for 35 seconds, as you can tell... :D

Unfortunately, my device is all digital. Perhaps if I was really good at electronics I could work out how to get the messages directly from the memory, but no luck there.

So I guess what's left is to record the messages with a microphone next to the machine's speaker. That might not be so bad, since the voice quality isn't good to begin with.

There is an alternative - get an old 56K fax modem and stick it in the computer and run this program

http://www.tucows.com/Windows/Internet/AnsweringMachines/

"This is an answering machine tool for your voice modem that supports call monitoring and logging, "white" and "black" lists, conversation recording, caller ID with pop-ups and voice warnings, and customizable greetings.

This program can send call notifications to your pager and voice messages by e-mail. It can also block certain types of incoming calls. It doesn't require an extra speaker attached to the modem"

That would be a solution that could replace the answering machine.Might be a PITA having your computer on all the time just to capture your calls though.

I did find a company in the UK,Retell that makes a line of machines that you can use their software to get the messages from the machine to your computer so it is possible.But this is only for their machines,they must have an output somewhere on them.You might be able to find something similar if you're in the US and look hard enough.Could be kinda pricy though.Retell's software alone is around 129 pounds (not sure what that converts to).

Edited by tbrewst