1 reply to this topic

#1 Cockatrice

Cockatrice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 10:20 AM

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere.

Purchased a Dell computer with Roxio Studio 9 pre installed. Have a Panasonic Camcorder NV GS17 and wanted to download some family videos to burn. It won't allow me. It appears to recognise the camera as a web cam well at least that is the only one showing in the drop down box within the video part of the Roxio programme. However it doesn't allow any button to be highlighted

Assumed (maybe wrongly) that I could download via usb previously on older computer I had always used video leads. The Pansonic has both a DV and USB connection.

I realise that I didn't purchase any firewire connection on the pc and went out today to buy one assuming that I could simply connect it. Was advised it wasn't that simple.

So can I download via usb or do I need firewire? do I simply plug it in? will Roxio automatically recognise it? are there no driver's for my camcorder to use in Vista. Not a wizard on these things as one might suspect is there any quick fix?

Yours in anticipation

#2 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,610 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 10:27 AM

QUOTE (Cockatrice @ May 6 2007, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry if this is covered elsewhere.

Purchased a Dell computer with Roxio Studio 9 pre installed. Have a Panasonic Camcorder NV GS17 and wanted to download some family videos to burn. It won't allow me. It appears to recognise the camera as a web cam well at least that is the only one showing in the drop down box within the video part of the Roxio programme. However it doesn't allow any button to be highlighted

Assumed (maybe wrongly) that I could download via usb previously on older computer I had always used video leads. The Pansonic has both a DV and USB connection.

I realise that I didn't purchase any firewire connection on the pc and went out today to buy one assuming that I could simply connect it. Was advised it wasn't that simple.

So can I download via usb or do I need firewire? do I simply plug it in? will Roxio automatically recognise it? are there no driver's for my camcorder to use in Vista. Not a wizard on these things as one might suspect is there any quick fix?

Yours in anticipation

You aren't going to be able to capture through the USB connection.  If it did happen, the video quality would be poor.

If you have an open PCI slot on your motherboard, then you can get a firewire card to put it.  It isn't hard to do.

Before you do, look under Device Manager, to see if you have anything listed for IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers.  If you do, you may just need to get a firewire cable.
Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

Main System:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard; Cooler Master ATCS 840 Case
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
PLEXTOR Black DVD Burner, Model PX-880SA; Pioneer Black 8X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R Burner
EVGA GEFORCE GTX 670 2GB Video Card
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users