uva25

Copy Dvd To Hard Drive

Question

I have many home DV movies that I burned (via a Sony RDR-GX7 recorder) on a DVD -R. I want to rip these (or copy) to my hard drive so I can play them on most digital media players. What is the easiest (and best quality) way to do this. I don't care about burning a copy to a dvd but only on playing the format on a widescrren tv via a media player. Media player advice would also be welcome. I don't care if its wireless or not. Thanks.

12 answers to this question

I have many home DV movies that I burned (via a Sony RDR-GX7 recorder) on a DVD -R. I want to rip these (or copy) to my hard drive so I can play them on most digital media players. What is the easiest (and best quality) way to do this. I don't care about burning a copy to a dvd but only on playing the format on a widescrren tv via a media player. Media player advice would also be welcome. I don't care if its wireless or not. Thanks.

The media player will make a difference. I have a Media MVP which will be available in a wireless version soon (so they say). It will play mpeg1 and mpeg2 plus divx files. I use GBPVR which will also allow me to play my dvd's directly from my PC to my TV.

You can copy dvd movies to divx or wmv and even compress them to use on mobile devices so you shouldn't have a problem....as long as none are copy protected.

The media player will make a difference. I have a Media MVP which will be available in a wireless version soon (so they say). It will play mpeg1 and mpeg2 plus divx files. I use GBPVR which will also allow me to play my dvd's directly from my PC to my TV.

You can copy dvd movies to divx or wmv and even compress them to use on mobile devices so you shouldn't have a problem....as long as none are copy protected.

Thanks. My pc isn't in the same room as my tv so I don't think Media MVP will work. I think I need a media player than can accept an external hard drive (via USB) attached to it to play the files.

Thanks. My pc isn't in the same room as my tv so I don't think Media MVP will work. I think I need a media player than can accept an external hard drive (via USB) attached to it to play the files.

My pc isn't in the same room either but I have a cat 5 connected to it. Granted, if you don't want to run cable, wireless is the way to go but from what I've heard, it still has a ways to go but is getting better.

I can't recommend anything else as I haven't tried it but a trip to your local BestBuy or Comp USA might help you get a few ideas.

I am really lost, now. I have to be missing something simple. If your PC isn't anywhere near you television, why would you not play the DVD in a set top DVD player connected to your television, or play from the recorder?

If you want to play them on your computer, why not just put the DVD in your DVD-Rom or DVD burner, and play them?

I am really lost, now. I have to be missing something simple. If your PC isn't anywhere near you television, why would you not play the DVD in a set top DVD player connected to your television, or play from the recorder?

If you want to play them on your computer, why not just put the DVD in your DVD-Rom or DVD burner, and play them?

A few years ago I was just happy to have them all on dvd. Now I would like to have all my music, pictures and movies on my hard drive, all accessible from my family room tv. If I have 20 home movies that my kids like to watch, its nice to just scroll through the list rather than searching for the dvd, putting it into the dvd player, etc.

Bruce, there are several devices out now that can connect a PC with TV now even from a distance. That's where the UPnP comes in handy, too. Almost 10 years ago, Gateway even had a DVD Player with an ethernet card. Plug the DVD player into your TV just like any other and connect the DVD player to your computer via ethernet cable. Load the Gateway software which acts like a file 'server'. Rip your movies to MPG2 or DivX on your hard drive. When you want to watch a movie, the DVD player would display the list of ripped movies. Just pick one and click.

Nice technology, but I see no need for it. First, I don't watch movies THAT much. I don't have enough hard drive space to rip ALL my DVDs. I'd probably get tried of watching the same ones over and over and why rip a movie just to watch it ONCE? I agree with you.... just watch the DVD! :)

What's the easies way to copy from DVD to MPEG2 using Roxio? It seems this is a two step process but I'm not sure I've seen the best way. Thanks.

What's the easies way to copy from DVD to MPEG2 using Roxio? It seems this is a two step process but I'm not sure I've seen the best way. Thanks.

Use Capture. You can capture right from the DVD, to your hard drive, as an mpeg2 file.

Use Capture. You can capture right from the DVD, to your hard drive, as an mpeg2 file.

So I go into Capture and instead of selecting my Sony Dv recorder I can select a DVD in my drive? That's easy enough. Thanks. I guess the only problem is that it has to play the entire DVD?

So I go into Capture and instead of selecting my Sony Dv recorder I can select a DVD in my drive? That's easy enough. Thanks. I guess the only problem is that it has to play the entire DVD?

Nothing in video work is fast.

Nothing in video work is fast.

I am quickly learning that. I guess I have to decide between capturing from my Sony DV camera to the hard drive or from already burned DVD's. I assume direct from the camera would have higher quality results but would tax the player more.

I am quickly learning that. I guess I have to decide between capturing from my Sony DV camera to the hard drive or from already burned DVD's. I assume direct from the camera would have higher quality results but would tax the player more.

If all you want is unencrypted DVD's back on the hard drive. Why don't you explore the dvd in the computers DVD burner or DVD-ROM drive edit select all, drag them to the hard drive you want or modify the send to folder to that drive. The rip will take nine to twelve minutes with a full 4.464 single layer disc. The quality will be the same as what's on the disc. Or don't I understand what your trying to do?

cdanteek