• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Pete92550

Pete92550

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 12:31 AM

I've read just about every comment about the Sonic Driver and D2D... But my problem seems to be a little bit different.

This is what I see when I click on the balloon in the lower right hand corner when my computer starts up.

Driver DirectCD
Publisher Roxio, Inc

As you can see it does not say Sonic. My computer is a new HP and it came with Vista Home Premium. The Roxio package that came with it is "Easy Creator BASIC v9" and I do not have D2D program or see D2D on my add/remove.

My problem started a week ago while I was moving some files that were made with Easy CD Creator 6.0 and put a -R CD. After I put the CD in and I was told that I needed to download the file that allows you to read the CD on other computers. Why I said okay is beyond me (it was 3am) but I did.The download started soon after. Then an incompatible notice came up so I removed the CD and thought nothing of it. Oddly enough all my other CD's were -RW and I had no problem transferring those files. It was after I restarted my computer later that day that I started to see the "Blocked Driver" notice.

I've written to Roxio and Microsoft for a solution and have been ignored by both. So, before I uninstall the entire Roxio package and start looking for a different program (I don't think I'll be getting the Suite after reading all the comments here) has anybody else had a blocked driver problem like this?
One more thing…  Do you think the Roxio patch I just read about on this forum would help this problem or just make it worse since it doesn’t seem to be the same driver in question.

#2 james_hardin

james_hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,000 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 02:39 AM

You installed an obsolete reader file. Go to Add/Remove Programs and delete it.

Vista should be able to read those files as it has a built in Reader. If not, use your old PC and burn them to an RW with Classic rather than using Drag to Disc.
Dell 8300 3.0ghz 1.5gb RAM 300gb & 200gb HDs
XP Pro/SP2
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 w/AGP8X

#3 tbrewst

tbrewst

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,101 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 05:24 AM

Like James said you should be able to uninstall it.Another thing you might try is since it comes up at startup go to Run,msconfig and see if you find the entry in the startup tab.If you do uncheck it and reboot.When you do you'll see a balloon telling you that Windows has blocked programs.If you click on the balloon it will tell you it's the System Configuration Utility.Click on it then click on the little box in the bottom left corner and you won't get the blocked warning the next time you reboot.
"Because I’m happy
Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof
Because I’m happy
Clap along if you feel like happiness is the truth
Because I’m happy
Clap along if you know what happiness is to you
Because I’m happy
Clap along if you feel like that’s what you wanna do"

Terry

64 bitWindows 8.1 OS
AMD FX-8320 8 core 3.5Ghz processor with Arctic Freezer 64 Pro cooling fan
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 AM3+ motherboard
Galaxy  GeForce GTX 550 Ti video card with 1Gb memory
8Gb G Skill Ripjaws Series DDR3 1600 RAM
120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD drive
1Tb Hitachi SATA hard drive
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray drive
Lite-On iHAS224-06 SATA DVD drive
Rosewill Destroyer case
Cambridge Soundworks THX 5.1 speaker system
Onboard Realtek HD audio
I-inc iH-252HPB 25" widescreen monitor connected via HDMI
Samsung 2525W Laser Printer

#4 james_hardin

james_hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,000 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 06:48 AM

The Auto Detect program is part of every DCD/D2D disc. If it doesn't detect an installed Reader, it warns that you need one and if you elect, it installs one…

Trouble is that earlier ones don't recognize that XP & Vista already have one in their OS and the one on the disc will not run in either system! Thus it becomes a self-inflected problem or maybe I should call it an assisted problem
XP Pro/SP2

#5 Pete92550

Pete92550

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 09:07 AM

Hi James...

It's not in my add/remove. All that's there under Roxio are v9 programs.

Terry...

I've run “msconfig” but once again I see nothing there that could be the "rogue" driver.

I'm starting to wonder if deleting the Roxio program completely from my computer will make a difference since the driver (most likely) isn't in these programs... but somewhere else.

Thanks

#6 ogdens

ogdens

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,074 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:11 PM

QUOTE (Pete92550 @ May 26 2007, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi James...

It's not in my add/remove. All that's there under Roxio are v9 programs.

Terry...

I've run "msconfig" but once again I see nothing there that could be the "rogue" driver.

I'm starting to wonder if deleting the Roxio program completely from my computer will make a difference since the driver (most likely) isn't in these programs... but somewhere else.

Thanks

Direct CD goes back to ECDC 4 and 5  many years ago, are you sure there is no DirectCD or any Version 4 or 5 in add/remove programs.

What happens when you do a search on your computer for DirectCD?.

Edited by ogdens, 26 May 2007 - 01:12 PM.

#7 Pete92550

Pete92550

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 05:10 PM

A search for Direct CD turns up nothing. I assume that knowing the name of the driver would most likely help.

What makes this more annoying is if I had tried to download these files from this CD a day earlier I could hve just reset the computer. But I put so many other files and programs on it that first day that returning it to "Out of Box" condition would leave me with so much stuff to redo... and right now I can't afford the time to do that.

Like I said if I can't find a "fix" I'll most likely delete the programs and see what happens. If it doesn't delete the driver in question I guess I’ll just have to live with it.

I'm just worried that one day it won't 'block' the driver and then I'll have a real problem. I remember when Windows first came out “they” said it could work it's way around problems, but what usually happened was that it worked it's way around the problem for a while and then it didn't. Leaving you totally perplexed as to what the problem was because it was something that had been a problem for weeks but you didn't know it.

Thanks everybody... I'm going to check my program files on my old computer (again) and see if I can match anything up that may now have transferred itself to the new one.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

#8 barryware

barryware

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:06 PM

Do a system restore from a restore point that was created prior to installing the reader..

#9 Pete92550

Pete92550

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:08 AM

Hey  Barry....

That sounds simple enough.

DUH! ...on my part. rolleyes.gif

#10 Pete92550

Pete92550

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:25 AM

OK… it was a long weekend and now back to this…

I restored to a point before the driver was loaded and…. NOTHING changed! I then deleted  everything “Roxio” and “Sonic”. All the software deleted – gone. I restart the computer and the Roxio driver notice is still popping up!

So I now have a new computer with all Roxio programs (files, folders, etc.) deleted but I’m still getting the “warning” and (I’m assuming now) there is nothing I can do about it. I still haven’t had a reply from Roxio or Microsoft yet, so they’re no help.

This is so annoying. It’s like having an itch that you can’t scratch because you can’t reach it. It’s not going to kill you but it’s annoying as all hell.

#11 barryware

barryware

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:48 AM

QUOTE (Pete92550 @ May 31 2007, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK… it was a long weekend and now back to this…

I restored to a point before the driver was loaded and…. NOTHING changed! I then deleted  everything “Roxio” and “Sonic”. All the software deleted – gone. I restart the computer and the Roxio driver notice is still popping up!

So I now have a new computer with all Roxio programs (files, folders, etc.) deleted but I’m still getting the “warning” and (I’m assuming now) there is nothing I can do about it. I still haven’t had a reply from Roxio or Microsoft yet, so they’re no help.

This is so annoying. It’s like having an itch that you can’t scratch because you can’t reach it. It’s not going to kill you but it’s annoying as all hell.

Did you go through the registry and also delete any instances on Roxio & Sonic? Not just folders on the HD.

Actually, if it is Direct CD popping up, I believe that would be an Adaptec application (back in the good old days) so maybe scour for Adaptec. I still have my disks but I have not used any of the adaptec stuff in years.

My computer at work still has ECD5 on it. I checked and it loads DirectCD under "Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe

Sorry for your problems. Trust me.... I know how it is.

#12 Pete92550

Pete92550

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:21 AM

Thanks Barry I'll check on that.

And no, I haven’t gone into the registry… yet.

Something positive did happen this morning.  I reinstall one of the two Roxio programs that came with the computer. But this time I installed "Roxio Creator" first. I then completely shut down the computer and then turned it back on. No notice came up.

Then I reinstalled "Roxio MyDVD" and again I shut down the computer. This time when I turned the computer back on the "Roxio Driver" notice was back. I uninstalled MyDVD and all the folders and files associated with (just) MyDVD and everything is fine now.

I'm wondering if I was to put MyDVD back on my computer and then downloaded the "Patch" that is mentioned in this forum if the problem then would be "fixed". The reason I'm not so sure is because my notice says it’s a "Roxio Driver" while it's been a "Sonic Driver" that everybody else is talking about. Also, my Roxio programs are preinstalled programs (v9) so they are NOT full or trial versions. Now would that cause a problem with the “patch”?

BTW…  I still haven't heard from Roxio/Sonic OR Microsoft yet.

#13 ethan a

ethan a

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:48 AM

QUOTE (Pete92550 @ Jun 1 2007, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Barry I'll check on that.

And no, I haven’t gone into the registry… yet.

Something positive did happen this morning.  I reinstall one of the two Roxio programs that came with the computer. But this time I installed "Roxio Creator" first. I then completely shut down the computer and then turned it back on. No notice came up.

Then I reinstalled "Roxio MyDVD" and again I shut down the computer. This time when I turned the computer back on the "Roxio Driver" notice was back. I uninstalled MyDVD and all the folders and files associated with (just) MyDVD and everything is fine now.

I'm wondering if I was to put MyDVD back on my computer and then downloaded the "Patch" that is mentioned in this forum if the problem then would be "fixed". The reason I'm not so sure is because my notice says it’s a "Roxio Driver" while it's been a "Sonic Driver" that everybody else is talking about. Also, my Roxio programs are preinstalled programs (v9) so they are NOT full or trial versions. Now would that cause a problem with the “patch”?

BTW…  I still haven't heard from Roxio/Sonic OR Microsoft yet.

November 2, 2007
I had the same problem as pete92550: error message "Driver DirectCD is blocked due to compatibility issues" at system turnon. Fortunately, under installed programs I found, under Adaptec, the UDF reader causing the problem. I uninstalled this UDF reader, rebooted, and the problem was gone. My fundamental problem is still present: I can read some of the old "Drag to Disc"  CD-RWs that I created in Roxio Easy Media Creator 6 and my old Windows 98 computer, but not all of them. In retrospect I see that I should have used CD-Rs and not bothered with the Drag to Disc feature. The bad CD-RWs show only two files, an autorun.inf file and a UDFReader.exe file. I don't know how to get at the important files on these discs. The suggestion to use the old computer to read these discs and convert them to CD-Rs is a good one but I can't use it: the old computer has crashed and burned and is ancient history. I wrote to Roxio - maybe they will supply an answer. If anyone has thoughte re this I will be very grateful.
ethan a
earonoff@ca.rr.com

#14 gi7omy

gi7omy

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,033 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 05:29 AM

Two things

First and most important - go back to your post, select 'Edit' and delete your e-mail address (these boards are trawled by spider bots and you will end up on a spammer's list)

As for the problem in reading the files. As you've found out, the older files can't be read any longer and you will probably have to get a third party app to access them. The ones we normally use here for that are isobuster or cdroller. Both these have a trial version that will let you know if the files can be accessed: to recover them you will have to purchase the program
If it ain't broke, fiddle with it until it breaks, then fiddle with it until you get it fixed

"Rincewind could scream for mercy in nineteen languages and just scream in another forty-four "

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee; that will do them in."

“Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.” — Mitch Ratcliffe

Daithi

Home Brew computer
Intel I7 950 on Gigabyte X58A UD3R mobo
12 GB Three Channel DDRAM
Radeon HD4850 512 MB GDR3 graphics
Signalink USB Audio Codec for ham radio connection
1 x 160 GB, 1 x 330 GB, 1 x 400 GB IDE drives
4 x 250 GB SATA 2
LG HL-DT-ST GGW-H20L BD-RE drive
22" Acer P223W monitor

EMC 7.5 on Windows XP 32 SP3
EMC10 on Windows XP64 SP2
Creator 2011 on Windows 7 Ultimate
ECD6 on Gentoo Linux (running under VMWare)

#15 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,682 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 05:46 AM

QUOTE (gi7omy @ Nov 2 2007, 06:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Two things

First and most important - go back to your post, select 'Edit' and delete your e-mail address (these boards are trawled by spider bots and you will end up on a spammer's list)

As for the problem in reading the files. As you've found out, the older files can't be read any longer and you will probably have to get a third party app to access them. The ones we normally use here for that are isobuster or cdroller. Both these have a trial version that will let you know if the files can be accessed: to recover them you will have to purchase the program

Just to expand a bit on gi7omy's Isobuster recommendation.

IsoBuster 2.2 released with BD and HD DVD support, August 20, 2007.

All functionality prior to version 1.0 is free and remains free. All functionality related to the ISO9660, Joliet, Rock Ridge, El Torito and CD-i file-systems, everything related to Video CDs and all image-file making functionality is free. So, finding data, extracting (copying) data etc. is free.

Part of the functionality related to the UDF and HFS(+) file-systems is not free and needs to be paid for. This is the extraction of files that come from the UDF [drag & drop software] or HFS(+) [Macintosh] file-systems. So, all functionality is present, including scanning and finding of lost files, but if you actually want to extract (copy) a file from the UDF or HFS file-system you need a valid registration.

IsoBuster License models

cd
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here  How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here   Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista  
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!  

#16 james_hardin

james_hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,000 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 07:26 AM

Ethan: Please report back as to whether this works???
XP Pro/SP2

#17 pbgiv

pbgiv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:45 AM

SOLUTION FOUND!!! ...To the DirectCD driver blocked error popup at startup issue.

VERY simple solution - search for the 'udfreadr' driver in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers and delete it (or rename to .old if you prefer) and reboot. THAT'S ALL!!! Problem solved. Done. Super simple. (More detail in the forum post where I found it: http://www.sitepoint...ead.php?t=76081)

Now for my frustrated two cents... It's late 2010 and this problem that appears to have begun in 2002 still recurs, apparently with a good amount of frequency - I've had it for a couple of months, and after HOURS of googling and searching support and forums across the web I'd been unable to find a solution (until just now when I found the needle-in-a-haystack forum post linked above). IT IS AMAZING TO ME THAT THIS PROBLEM IS SO PREVALENT AND LONGSTANDING AND ROXIO HAS NO SOLUTION OR OFFICIAL MENTION OF IT ANYWHERE IN THEIR HELP/SUPPORT SYSTEM! Especially when the solution is so simple... This causes me to doubt I could ever be compelled to spend money on any product from Roxio.

#18 gi7omy

gi7omy

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,033 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:05 AM

The fact you are posting to a three year old thread on a four year old app just might have something to do with it not being mentioned anywhere

DirectCD, Drag to Disc, etc went on the way of the dodo a long time ago
If it ain't broke, fiddle with it until it breaks, then fiddle with it until you get it fixed

"Rincewind could scream for mercy in nineteen languages and just scream in another forty-four "

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee; that will do them in."

“Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.” — Mitch Ratcliffe

Daithi

Home Brew computer
Intel I7 950 on Gigabyte X58A UD3R mobo
12 GB Three Channel DDRAM
Radeon HD4850 512 MB GDR3 graphics
Signalink USB Audio Codec for ham radio connection
1 x 160 GB, 1 x 330 GB, 1 x 400 GB IDE drives
4 x 250 GB SATA 2
LG HL-DT-ST GGW-H20L BD-RE drive
22" Acer P223W monitor

EMC 7.5 on Windows XP 32 SP3
EMC10 on Windows XP64 SP2
Creator 2011 on Windows 7 Ultimate
ECD6 on Gentoo Linux (running under VMWare)

#19 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,421 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:41 PM

Necroposting is pointless.

The issue has been dealt with many times in these forums when the software was current.
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
BENQ DW1640, in XP Pro and Windows 7

As a very wise man told me, "You do it until . . . . ."

#20 pbgiv

pbgiv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:58 PM

Brendon & gi7omy,
Gentlemen, when someone puts an old drag and drop disc made with that old technology, to pull something off of it or see what's on it, in a current XP machine (don't know about 7), they get a popup to install a UDF reader in order to read the disc. The reader creates problems. The problem's solutions in these forums neither directly address the issue nor proved sufficient solution.

The point is exactly that it is an ancient issue that still continues to frequently occur - and the solution,  though you Brendon say it's "been dealt with many  times in these forums" simply isn't there - or wasn't until my post. If I'm wrong, show me where the solution I give is previously in these forums. The solutions of removing the program w/ add/remove programs didn't work - inadequate solution.

What I provided is a currently relevant solution to an ongoing recurring issue that still regularly happens BECAUSE of ancient out of date technology, that the makers have pathetically not adequately addressed, either in solution or documentation.

Your posts do nothing but disparage, providing no useful information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users