Rashid

Need to create a bootable DVD with an ISO image.

Question

Hello everyone,

I just purchased a Pioneer DVD burner which came with Roxio easy creator version 8.2 XE. I am trying to create a bootable DVD which contains the Fedora 7 Installation. The ISO file is 2.7 GB. I created a DVD which only contains the ISO file and I clicked on the Bootable button before creating it.

When I tried booting with that DVD, I got an Operating system error :( . What do I need to do to create this DVd and be able to boot with it.

Thank you.

Rashid

31 answers to this question

Yeah,I'm just not sure if it's the Windows bootloader controlling things or Linux.If it Windows you can go to msconfig,boot.ini tab and adjust the Timeout.

Best I can remember there is a GRUB config file where you can make these changes. As always proceed with caution . . .

I think the commands are pretty much the same as detailed here. Just go down to the middle of the info where they talk about 'EasyBCD' which is another program like VistaBootPro. Those directions worked perfect for me with Ubuntu. Maybe Fedora has info on a forum that would be more specific to your case.

For me, I set my timeout to 30 seconds and have Vista set to boot by default and Ubuntu as secondary. I'm pretty sure all distros have it set for the Linux OS to be the default OS.

Hey guys,

Last night, I created another DVD with the ISO image for the 64 bit version of Fedora 7. It booted up with no issues just like the earlier one. The install went pretty well. I had to choose setup of partitions manually. Then it gave me the choice to select the default OS. I still get only a 2 second windows before it starts up XP, but at least it is booting up with the OS I will be using the most and I don't have to wait there during boot, make sure to hit a key within those 2 seconds and switch the boot to the other OS.

Per documentation, the Grub config is the correct file to use to modify the boot menu. Next, I need to work on getting all the devices to work under linux. So far, the sound isn't working. Even though in the control panel the test sound comes out ok, it cannot play a CD. Well, that is the pain in the neck stuff about Linux. I plan to fix them one at a time and try to enjoy the process. I reckon they have lost of forums I can post questions to for these issues.

You were a great support for me and helped me solve this problem. Thank you very much.

Rashid

Hey guys,

Last night, I created another DVD with the ISO image for the 64 bit version of Fedora 7. It booted up with no issues just like the earlier one. The install went pretty well. I had to choose setup of partitions manually. Then it gave me the choice to select the default OS. I still get only a 2 second windows before it starts up XP, but at least it is booting up with the OS I will be using the most and I don't have to wait there during boot, make sure to hit a key within those 2 seconds and switch the boot to the other OS.

Per documentation, the Grub config is the correct file to use to modify the boot menu. Next, I need to work on getting all the devices to work under linux. So far, the sound isn't working. Even though in the control panel the test sound comes out ok, it cannot play a CD. Well, that is the pain in the neck stuff about Linux. I plan to fix them one at a time and try to enjoy the process. I reckon they have lost of forums I can post questions to for these issues.

You were a great support for me and helped me solve this problem. Thank you very much.

Rashid

Kind of weird that you got Linux support here huh? If you haven't already, check out the help sections at the Fedora site. I'm sure they can help you out. Linux is supposed to be more ready for 64 bit than Windows but from what I've read, it's still hit and miss.

All hit and no miss in Gentoo Paul - but then every single thing in my setup is compiled from source for Athlon 64 :lol: