10 replies to this topic

#1 lewgray

lewgray

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 06:17 AM

Hi:

Video wave stops rendering seconds after it starts and after trying everything to fix it I finally found out the cause. I went back to reimage my hard drive to Dec 06 when video wave worked correctly and sure enough it worked fine again. I then set a restore point in Windows XP and then downloaded and installed all the XP updates since Dec 06. The same error in rendering occured in VW8 after the updateds were installed. Went back to the restore point prior to installing the updates and VW8 worked once again. So an XP update between Dec 06 and now is responsible for VW  8 to stop rendering. Has anyone else had this issue and if so have you found out what is the offending update?
Hope this helps someone out there.

#2 ogdens

ogdens

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,190 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 06:36 AM

QUOTE (lewgray @ Jul 2 2007, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi:

Video wave stops rendering seconds after it starts and after trying everything to fix it I finally found out the cause. I went back to reimage my hard drive to Dec 06 when video wave worked correctly and sure enough it worked fine again. I then set a restore point in Windows XP and then downloaded and installed all the XP updates since Dec 06. The same error in rendering occured in VW8 after the updateds were installed. Went back to the restore point prior to installing the updates and VW8 worked once again. So an XP update between Dec 06 and now is responsible for VW  8 to stop rendering. Has anyone else had this issue and if so have you found out what is the offending update?
Hope this helps someone out there.

Try this first, if you are running Internet Explorer  7, you need to roll back to IE 6.
(  http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/000017CR )

Edited by ogdens, 02 July 2007 - 06:43 AM.

#3 lewgray

lewgray

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 06:59 AM

QUOTE (ogdens @ Jul 2 2007, 06:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Try this first, if you are running Internet Explorer  7, you need to roll back to IE 6.
(  http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/000017CR )

Thanks for the reply. I don't remember how to try this.  How do you uninstall IE7 & roll back to IE 6.

Here is some more info my VW 8 problem. VW 8 works on 2 other XP computers I have at my home with all the XP updates installed but not on this one. When I uninstall Roxio 8.0 and install Roxio 9.0 VW 9 renders fine with all the updates on the computer. The reason I don't keep Roxio 9 on this computer is the Roxio 9 does not burn multiple files to a DVD on this computer, which I use to backup all my data and photos etc. I never figured out why 9.0 never was able to do this so I just went back to 8.0 which up until recently was able to do everything. Go figure?

Thanks
Lew

#4 ogdens

ogdens

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,190 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:08 AM

QUOTE (lewgray @ Jul 2 2007, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the reply. I don't remember how to try this.  How do you uninstall IE7 & roll back to IE 6.

Here is some more info my VW 8 problem. VW 8 works on 2 other XP computers I have at my home with all the XP updates installed but not on this one. When I uninstall Roxio 8.0 and install Roxio 9.0 VW 9 renders fine with all the updates on the computer. The reason I don't keep Roxio 9 on this computer is the Roxio 9 does not burn multiple files to a DVD on this computer, which I use to backup all my data and photos etc. I never figured out why 9.0 never was able to do this so I just went back to 8.0 which up until recently was able to do everything. Go figure?

Thanks
Lew

Go the URL I provided  you in post #2.

#5 Larry

Larry

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:59 AM

After you try ogden's suggestion, if it's still not working, try doing a repair thru add/remove programs on EMC 8.
Larry
Registered Member Creator 2010 Pro, Creator 2009 Ultimate, EMC 10, 9, 8 Deluxe, 7.5, 7, ECDC 6,5,4

Dell Precision WorkStation 450 / 2 - Intel Xeon 2.80ghz CPU w/HT, 512mb L2 Cache, 533mhz Bus / 2gb RAM / 1800gb+ HDD's / NVIDIA GeForce 6200 / Lite-On 165H6S CD DVD+/- DVD+/-DL /  Plextor PX-708UF /
Hauppage WinTV HVR-950Q / Hauppage WinTV PVR PCI II 250 / Hauppage WinTV PVR USB2 / XP Pro SP3 / Windows 7

#6 lewgray

lewgray

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 02:44 PM

QUOTE (Larry @ Jul 2 2007, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After you try ogden's suggestion, if it's still not working, try doing a repair thru add/remove programs on EMC 8.

Hi:
Thanks for the reply. I checked and I am using IE 6.0. I have also reinstalled Roxio 8.0 with the update multiple times and even created a new partition on the hard drive and installed it in that partition and still the same result of a sudden stop in rendering. I'm sure it is one of XP updates causing it but haven't narrowed it down to which one. Don't understand why Roxio 8 works on my other computer with all the updates through.

thanks
Lew

#7 lewgray

lewgray

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE (lewgray @ Jul 2 2007, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi:
Thanks for the reply. I checked and I am using IE 6.0. I have also reinstalled Roxio 8.0 with the update multiple times and even created a new partition on the hard drive and installed it in that partition and still the same result of a sudden stop in rendering. I'm sure it is one of XP updates causing it but haven't narrowed it down to which one. Don't understand why Roxio 8 works on my other computer with all the updates through.

thanks
Lew

Finally isolated the offending Windows Update. It was security update KB935839. Removed it and Roxio VW now renders without error.

#8 Honey

Honey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:24 PM

Hi!
I have the same problem with Video Wave 9 and spend the last Month trying to fix it with no results.I like to know what update it is to i guess there is no help out there and the Roxio support sucks big time.I did read on the Microsoft help page that it might be service pack 2.I m kind of scared to go back to a restore point because i don't  know if i lose all my pictures.Well i m a little mad that a update from Microsoft  can do such damage and i think they should come out with a fix. I did have roxio 7 before and no problems untill some update screwed up my computer.

#9 lewgray

lewgray

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:16 AM

QUOTE (Honey @ Jul 4 2007, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi!
I have the same problem with Video Wave 9 and spend the last Month trying to fix it with no results.I like to know what update it is to i guess there is no help out there and the Roxio support sucks big time.I did read on the Microsoft help page that it might be service pack 2.I m kind of scared to go back to a restore point because i don't  know if i lose all my pictures.Well i m a little mad that a update from Microsoft  can do such damage and i think they should come out with a fix. I did have roxio 7 before and no problems untill some update screwed up my computer.

Finally isolated the offending Windows Update. It was security update KB935839. Removed it and Roxio VW now renders without error.

You will not loose your pictures by going back to a restore point, but I would still put them on CD just to be safe just in case anything else happens in your attempt to fix something.

Lew

#10 Beerman

Beerman

Digital Beer Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -7,164 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 04:55 AM

QUOTE (lewgray @ Jul 5 2007, 04:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You will not loose your pictures by going back to a restore point, but I would still put them on CD just to be safe just in case anything else happens in your attempt to fix something.

Lew

I curious how you pinned it to that security update.  How did you figure that out?
Paul
------
Custom Built ASUS P8Z77 V-Deluxe, Core i7 3770k, 16 GB Memory-ASUS ENGTX560 DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560, H80i Cooler, 750W Power Supply, COOLER MASTER HAF XM RC-922XM-KKN1 case,Corsair Force Series GS CSSD-F240GBGS-BK 2.5" 240GB SATA III SSD, InfiniTV4 & HDHomerun Tuners- running Windows 8 (and other goodies)
#2-P877WS- Core i7 3770k, 16GB Memory-GeForce GTX 650Ti, SATA III SSD, H100i cooler, 750W PS,

#11 lewgray

lewgray

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE (Beerman @ Jul 5 2007, 04:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I curious how you pinned it to that security update.  How did you figure that out?

A little luck was involved for me to make a breakthrough on this problem that I have been trying to figure out for a month.  I just happened to be playing tennis with an IT guy and on the break I told him about the problem. He just happened to have come across a similar situation and fixed it but couldn't remember how. He did remember that it had something to do with an XP Update. My big tip!! I never would have thought of that since I have another computer that uses Roxio 8 and has all the updates installed and does not have the problem with VW8.

I always take an image of my computers hard drive using Acronis when everything is working perfectly, and in Dec 06 when Roxio VW was working like it was supposed to I imaged the hard drive. So  I restored the system to Dec 06 and once again VW 8 was working fine. To test the theory that it was one of the XP updates I first set a restore point in system restore and downloaded and installed the 20  or so updates from Dec 06 until now. Sure enough VW 8 did not render. Restored the system to the restore point and VW worked again.  So indeed it was one of those 20 updates. So I set another restore point and downloaded 3 updates  at a time using the custom download and install feature in installing the updates unchecking all but 3 updates. If the system worked after those 3 were installed I kept them, set another restore point and downloaded another group of updates until VW8 did dot work and bingo it was security update KB935839. Checked the box to never have this update downloaded again and I am good to go.

Has any one else had this problem with this update?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users