Sign in to follow this  
Roxiogems

Dual-Layer Burns Fail on 10.4.10 (v1.1) Intel Mac

Question

Ever since the release of the Mac OS 10.4.9 system update, my Intel Mac Mini and Intel MacBook have been unable to burn dual-layer DVDs using my external Sony DRU-820A. Until the release of OS 10.4.10, Toast wouldn't proceed past the "Filling RAM Cache..." stage, but now just before beginning to burn the disk, there are three errors:

The drive reported an error:

Sense key = ILLEGAL REQUEST

Sense Code = 0x26

INVALID FIELD IN PARAMETER LIST

Sense Code = 0x2C

COMMAND SEQUENCE ERROR

Sense Code = 0x2C

COMMAND SEQUENCE ERROR

The DVD burner works fine using Toast on my G4 Powerbook and when burning dual-dayer disks on the Intel Macs using the Finder, so despite the drive reporting an error, it seems that the issue is with Toast. Is there a fix for this?

Edited by Roxiogems

6 answers to this question

This is an Apple bug in the OS and they are very aware of the issue. The only option is to go back to 10.4.8, or wait for an Apple update. I've also heard that one can use the kext from 10.4.8 and replace the 10.4.10 kext with the problem. However, I was not able to get it to work.

What is the kext, where is it located and how would I go about acquiring the 10.4.8 version? Also, could using the previous kext introduce compatibility issues with the current OS? Thanks.

I'm unable to get the workaround to work, so I don't want to go into much detail about it. The best thing is to reinstall the OS and then just updated to 10.4.8, which was the last working version.

Or, use Firewire which doesn't have the problem.

I am also having a problem burning dual layers in Toast 8.01 with my external NEC-3540A USB drive. I'm using an Intel Macbook with 10.4.10, but I get this error:

The Drive reported an error:

Sense Key = UNIT ATTENTION

Sense Code= 0x29

POWER ON, RESET, OR BUS DEVICE RESET OCCURRED

If I burn the disc with the built superdrive I don't have any problems.

I am also having a problem burning dual layers in Toast 8.01 with my external NEC-3540A USB drive. I'm using an Intel Macbook with 10.4.10, but I get this error:

The Drive reported an error:

Sense Key = UNIT ATTENTION

Sense Code= 0x29

POWER ON, RESET, OR BUS DEVICE RESET OCCURRED

If I burn the disc with the built superdrive I don't have any problems.

I have the exact same problem. It started about a week ago.

Has anybody found a different solution (not down grading the OS).

Thanks in advance.

I have the exact same problem. It started about a week ago.

Has anybody found a different solution (not down grading the OS).

Thanks in advance.

i have the same problem, mine started 4 weeks ago, no upgrades using same media I was using prior to problem. I have a Macpro OS 10.4.11 intel, using popcorn 2. I thought it was the drive, replaced a pioneer 112 with a 117, same issue. The weird thing is after a unsuccessful burn with the 112 or 117, I attempt to burn again in my lower drive a pioneer 111, and burns flawlessly. The other strange thing is if I attempt to burn with DVD2one, I have no problems with either drive. I upgraded to popcorn 3, same problem. Haven't tried toast for burning. Strange.