barryware

Vista - Licensing

Question

I am sure that some of you may know this already but I was completely surprised when it was explained to me when purchasing a new computer for the boss that has Vista pre-loaded:

You are not allowed to remove the Vista OS and replace it with XP or any earlier version as stated in the MS end-user licensing agreement.

The only way this can be done (legally) is if the machine at one time had an earlier version of the OS preinstalled by the OEM.

I found this out when I could not find a couple of XP drivers to cover the hardware that was to be purchased. This is what I was told by the sales support rep of the computer manufacturer when I called to make sure that XP drivers were available.

I wanted to share this.. Like I said, I couldn't believe what I was hearing.... Several forum members have stated that they would not consider installing Vista for a while and I have read posts where it was suggested to wipe a new computer and install XP.

What if the user or owner decided not to accept the end user agreement that pops up when the computer boots for the first time?

I think the whole idea is ridiculous.

37 answers to this question

For those who are interested (I was). The date on that article is May. 23, 2007. Always good to include the date of the source. ;)

For those who are interested (I was). The date on that article is May. 23, 2007. Always good to include the date of the source. ;)

So when it says: ""It will be sooner rather than later," Ball said, promising a solution well before the end of the year."

That means then end of this year (2007)?

Edited by barryware

Sorry sisterscape, ill date it next time, this was info sent though our company off the public postings, as we are one of these OEM whom face this issue every day...

I still can obtain XP OEM packs from our supplyer , and untill the day i cannot get them , im pushing users to keep with XP, or untill the later part of this year untill the Service pack 1 for vista has been publicly tested and working, that solves the 200 plus bugs in Vista,

Or untill the XP OEM packs dry up... :P

200 plus bugs, and waiting for the update . . . ??

Sounds familiar :ninja:

I just read the Vista licensing agreement, and saw no such clause preventing a downgrade (for home users anyways). Even if such a clause did exist, it cannot POSSIBLY be legally binding for 2 reasons:

1- You own the hardware. Period. MS has NO legal authority over the device itself to tell you what you can and cannot do with such a device.

2- If you own a prior legal version of Windows, such as XP, and meet it's licensing terms, then you can legally install it. I haven't seen any language in the XP agreement that claims I will be unable to reinstall it if I upgrade to a future version...

I have seen and heard all kinds of posts all over the web about this, with some people even believing it will ruin their computer warranty. To date I haven't seen any such language in a warranty, etc. Ignore the rumors.

It doesn't matter to me what their "License" states because I'm done with Mi¢ro$oft I will never buy another version of window$.

the next machine I get will either be a Linux Box or a Mac we'll see who matures better after all of the Vista and beyond trash O$'s really show up to be what they are.

I'm forced to use XP now but nothing beyond,

when 95, 95a, 95b, 95c, came out I didn't buy any of them,

when 98, 98se, 98gold came out I didn't buy any on them,

when me(multiple errors) came out I didn't buy it,

when 2k came out I didn't buy it.

I only recently got an XP box for my business (doing audio work).

I found a w95a machine and set it up @ home to play with it

I was given a w98se retail cd so I installed it onto a p4 2.0GHz for fun to play around with it.

but all my other day to day tasks are done with (Brace yourselves)

a 486DX 33MHz DOS 6.22/ w3.1 machine

> I do all of my accounting on it .

> I do all of my invoicing on it.

> I do all of my word processing on it.

etc.

> never lost a file to hard disk crash (never had a hard disk crash)

> never had a virus

> never had a hacker attempt to gain "Access"

> never had adware

> never had a BSOD

> never had spyware

> never had to purchace any "Anti-younameit" programs

I also have a pair of 486 DX4 100MHz machines (1 is an overdrive)

both are file and print servers for the 33MHz machine

so I don't see any time in the near future that I will ever get another M$ O$

because they keep strangling people with their wierd EULA's

and tightening the strings, cords, ropes, and chains

soon it won't even be installed on your machine except for a boot BIOS from

which you will automatically be logged onto redmond and run the O$ from

their servers for a "Monthy or Anual fee" and if you don't pay or your payment

is declined, you will be cut off.

Cheers

RfD

soon it won't even be installed on your machine except for a boot BIOS from

which you will automatically be logged onto redmond and run the O$ from

their servers for a "Monthy or Anual fee" and if you don't pay or your payment

is declined, you will be cut off.

Cheers

RfD

Ya wanna know what??? I don't think you are too far off. If they didn't think of that before, they have now! :o

Actually according to a report on the BBC several weeks ago, that is EXACTLY what they're thinking - mark you it's all dressed up with the notion that it's 'energy saving' and 'contributing to a green environment'

you know what other dress they will put on it?

how about "tired of re-formatting and re-installing, and re-activation headaches?"

plus "tired of having to redo all of your settings?"

Cheers

RfD

Actually I know a guy here that's been building "PC's" since the XT/AT days

and it's been known amongst those in the industry for many years now that

M$ has been wanting to go this route. (and they're just waiting for the

"Oportunity" to "Pull it Over" on people).

Cheers

RfD