• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 cbass

cbass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 05:28 PM

I've been using Mac the Ripper to download DVDs, and then I've been using Crunch to put the files onto Apple TV. For some reason, the last couple of movies appear very blurry on Apple TV after using Crunch. This did not happen the first five or six times I used Mac the Ripper/Crunch. Is there a setting I need to adjust?  I think I saw this topic elsewhere, but I really couldn't find an answer.  How is this fixed?  Thanks.

#2 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,343 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 10:48 PM

This problem appeared with QuickTime 7.2. Hopefully an update can fix this. In the meanwhile freshburn suggests the following:

"The only workaround is to use Custom. First select Automatic and see the aspect ratio used, then select Custom and set a Custom Aspect Ratio and adjust the bitrate. This should work and look fine."
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#3 cbass

cbass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 11:55 AM

Thanks.  But what do I adjust the bitrate to?

#4 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,343 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE (cbass @ Aug 1 2007, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks.  But what do I adjust the bitrate to?

AppleTV supports up to 5 Mbps. Crunch is preset to 2.5 Mbps for high quality and 1.4 Mbps for Fastest. So entering anything from 2000 to 2500 should get you very good quality. You also might go to AppleTV Discussions to view recommendations from other AppleTV users.

If you choose to post on that forum don't mention MTR. It's okay to have copies of DVDs you own but it is unlawful to break copy protection in order to make those copies. Apple's forum moderators monitor those discussions tightly.

Edited by tsantee, 01 August 2007 - 02:21 PM.

I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#5 cbass

cbass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 04:34 AM

I'm still having problems.  I used "custom" and increased the bitrate to 3000.  The picture looks great, but it now appears very "choppy," almost like it pauses for a millisecond is the best way to describe it.  I'm wondering if I should just switch to VisualHub ...

#6 austinnate

austinnate

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE (cbass @ Aug 3 2007, 04:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm still having problems.  I used "custom" and increased the bitrate to 3000.  The picture looks great, but it now appears very "choppy," almost like it pauses for a millisecond is the best way to describe it.  I'm wondering if I should just switch to VisualHub ...

Yes that is what I did....
I wish I never had purchased this poorly written software.....
At least Tyler @ VisualHub monitors the discussions ands helps you with your issues.....
I've never seen Roxio do that here or in Popcorn....

#7 patatrox

patatrox

Roxio Mac Guy

• Roxio Staff
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE (austinnate @ Aug 18 2007, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes that is what I did....
I wish I never had purchased this poorly written software.....
At least Tyler @ VisualHub monitors the discussions ands helps you with your issues.....
I've never seen Roxio do that here or in Popcorn....

The recent QuickTime updater changed the way Apple TV presets work, which is why the preset bitrates don't encode the way they should.  We're working on an updater to correct this.

- patatrox

#8 cschroed

cschroed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:02 PM

I'm using elgato turbo 264 with Crunch. The picture quality and sound are good. But during a hour and a half movie the picture pixelates horribly when the counter hits 50 minutes and clears up at 105 minutes. This happened the last three movies I converted with this setup.

#9 EduardoG

EduardoG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 09:56 PM

I am having this problem as well. I have dvd quality videos and when I convert them over to my Apple TV they come out very pixelated. How can this be fixed?

#10 EduardoG

EduardoG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE (patatrox @ Aug 19 2007, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The recent QuickTime updater changed the way Apple TV presets work, which is why the preset bitrates don't encode the way they should.  We're working on an updater to correct this.

Has this problem been corrected yet?

#11 misterdna

misterdna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 01:05 AM

QUOTE (EduardoG @ Nov 22 2007, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has this problem been corrected yet?

OK, it's February, and the movies I am making for my AppleTV look like garbage, and I followed the bitrate suggestion in the help section.  Is there any further word on this issue?  This is the only thing I bought this software for, and it's not performing.

Edited by misterdna, 28 February 2008 - 01:05 AM.

#12 PeteH

PeteH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:50 AM

It's now January 2009 and I'm seeing the same thing...buyer beware.

#13 Jason Cole

Jason Cole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:32 AM

QUOTE (PeteH @ Jan 5 2009, 08:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's now January 2009 and I'm seeing the same thing...buyer beware.

So is there a solution yet? I get shocking video quality on my Apple TV... i have tried all settings....!!!!! Arghhhh!!!!!

#14 Supershuttle

Supershuttle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:15 PM

Um people, I think they fixed it by now and there is a newer version of quicktime I think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users