Jacksteroo

No Drive Detected

Question

I'm running Windows XP Home Media Edition.

When I attempt to copy a DVD (finalized) from my DVD home recorder, I get the message: "No Drive Detected" when I click the "continue" button. On the display, is says "no drive detected". How do I correct the problem?

Edited by Jacksteroo

11 answers to this question

I'm having the same problem. I have an internal drive and an external Plextor. In my case, EC 8 used to work fine and now it doesn't. So I guess something I installed recently messed it up. But I don't know what it could be. The only thing I've installed recently is the latest version of Itunes and slingplayer.

Disk Information -> Do More does see the drives.

When I try to run "sonic px engine" that seems to work for everyone else. I get a pop-up that states "Unable to write to the current directory. The installation file needs to be able to read/write to the current directory. Please change permissions for the directory or move the installer fo a location that has the proper read/write permissions."

I am running on a Dell Inspiron 6000 as admin, the directory is read/write and I have tried runing it from everywhere including making new directories, but I keep getting this error. I'm hoping that if I can run this, my original problem will be solved. But if I can't run the solution, I won't know if it will work.

Any suggestions as to how to get past this?

Thanks.

Double check the folder properties. At times XP will change the attributes to Read-Only - I haven't a clue why it does it but I've had to reset them quite often when I've found a file won't save

Double check the folder properties. At times XP will change the attributes to Read-Only - I haven't a clue why it does it but I've had to reset them quite often when I've found a file won't save

It is defiantly read/write, but it won't run the program.

Is there another fix to the "No Drive Detected" problem that I may be able to do myself, instead of with the px engine?

If you recall your first post

"I guess something I installed recently messed it up"

Now not knowing just what you did, it's hard to give an answer, but if you have done something that knocks out a drive, installing another program isn't going to work either

I guess that is true, but every other program I have does recognize the drive including XP and I can use XP to write to the drive. So while I may have installed or uninstalled something, Roxio is the only program that doesn't work.

And I have uninstalled and re-installed Roxio twice since this happened.

One thing worth a shot - if you installed Internet Explorer 7 and/or Media Player 11 - remove both of them

They can cause all sorts of strange problems

I won't let either of them near my box - I use Firefox as a browser and told Windows Update not to download IE7 no matter what

You may have to do a repair install of EMC after (or in a worst case scenarion, a clean install) - it's hard to be certain

Edited by gi7omy