• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Blueyes

Blueyes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 11:13 AM

Anyone have any software that you can use to record live video off your PC. Like if you where to play something in WM record the video right out off WM. Like something from the internet that will not let you save the file only play it-I need something I can record the video. Like easy audio capture need easy video capture!! Right!!!!

#2 Beerman

Beerman

Digital Beer Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -7,028 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 11:20 AM

QUOTE (Blueyes @ Aug 5 2007, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone have any software that you can use to record live video off your PC. Like if you where to play something in WM record the video right out off WM. Like something from the internet that will not let you save the file only play it-I need something I can record the video. Like easy audio capture need easy video capture!! Right!!!!

I've not tried it but I think Snagit! will do this for you.  It's not free.
Paul
------
Custom Built ASUS P8Z77 V-Deluxe, Core i7 3770k, 16 GB Memory-ASUS ENGTX560 DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560, H80i Cooler, 750W Power Supply, COOLER MASTER HAF XM RC-922XM-KKN1 case,Corsair Force Series GS CSSD-F240GBGS-BK 2.5" 240GB SATA III SSD, InfiniTV4 & HDHomerun Tuners- running Windows 8 (and other goodies)
#2-P877WS- Core i7 3770k, 16GB Memory-GeForce GTX 650Ti, SATA III SSD, H100i cooler, 750W PS,

#3 REDWAGON

REDWAGON

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,855 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 12:58 PM

Not sure if this is what you are after but I am running "Snagit" version 8 on my notebook computer and once it is configured for audio/video capture, I use it to record or capture audio and video from programs on my computer to make different tutorials. The capture is an avi file that I later burn to a disc.

There is a free 30 day trial of the Snagit 8 if you would like to try it. www.techsmith.com

Frank...
REDWAGON

5 Custom Built ASUS/ Intel Computers

3 with Windows 7 Pro Retail Operating Systems
2 with Windows 8.1 Pro/WMC Operating Systems

1 HP laptop with W7 Pro OS (HP OEM)
1 Apple iPAD2 & 1 iPhone 5 OS7

#4 jeanrosenfeld

jeanrosenfeld

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 01:54 PM

But doesn't Snagit record what is on the screen (similar to Windows Media Encoder) , i.e.in this case the file playing in some player, not the video itself? Of course one could set the capture area to be just the video, but I don't think the quality would be bery good.

For some streaming media, Super can capture and save the file to hard drive (the URL must point to the file).

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

Real Player 11 (beta) will also download and save the medis file if it is not protected.

Edited by jeanrosenfeld, 05 August 2007 - 02:00 PM.

Dell XPS630i. Chipset: nVIDIA nForce 650i SLI. CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz. RAM: 3 GB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM). Hard drives: 2x WD25 00AAJS-75VWA 250GB SATA. Video: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB. Audio: Audigy 2 (Dell OEM). DVD RW drives: Liteon iHAS234, HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H73N. All drivers and firmware up to date.
XP Pro SP3 , IE 8, WMP 11, all updates. Creator 2011 Pro.

#5 Beerman

Beerman

Digital Beer Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -7,028 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE (jeanrosenfeld @ Aug 5 2007, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But doesn't Snagit record what is on the screen (similar to Windows Media Encoder) , i.e.in this case the file playing in some player, not the video itself? Of course one could set the capture area to be just the video, but I don't think the quality would be bery good.

For some streaming media, Super can capture and save the file to hard drive (the URL must point to the file).

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

Real Player 11 (beta) will also download and save the medis file if it is not protected.

I was able to get Snagit to record a tv program that was showing on my monitor with no problem.  No sound of course, but a decent picture.  Just set it for Video Capture mode instead of the default Image mode.
Paul
------
Custom Built ASUS P8Z77 V-Deluxe, Core i7 3770k, 16 GB Memory-ASUS ENGTX560 DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560, H80i Cooler, 750W Power Supply, COOLER MASTER HAF XM RC-922XM-KKN1 case,Corsair Force Series GS CSSD-F240GBGS-BK 2.5" 240GB SATA III SSD, InfiniTV4 & HDHomerun Tuners- running Windows 8 (and other goodies)
#2-P877WS- Core i7 3770k, 16GB Memory-GeForce GTX 650Ti, SATA III SSD, H100i cooler, 750W PS,

#6 tbrewst

tbrewst

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,147 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 02:07 PM

Yeah I tried it Jean and the quality wasn't very good.Another thing I found is when you use it for Video capture the size limit is 2Gb.Any larger and the file bombs.
"Mild-mannered Supermen
Are held in kryptonite
And the wise and foolish virgins giggle
With there bodies glowing bright
And through the door a harvest feast
Is lit by candle light
It's the bottom of a staircase
That spirals out of sight"

Terry

64 bitWindows 8.1 OS
AMD FX-8320 8 core 3.5Ghz processor with Arctic Freezer 64 Pro cooling fan
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 AM3+ motherboard
Galaxy  GeForce GTX 550 Ti video card with 1Gb memory
8Gb G Skill Ripjaws Series DDR3 1600 RAM
120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD drive
1Tb Hitachi SATA hard drive
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray drive
Lite-On iHAS224-06 SATA DVD drive
Rosewill Destroyer case
Cambridge Soundworks THX 5.1 speaker system
Onboard Realtek HD audio
I-inc iH-252HPB 25" widescreen monitor connected via HDMI
Samsung 2525W Laser Printer

#7 REDWAGON

REDWAGON

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,855 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE (Beerman @ Aug 5 2007, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was able to get Snagit to record a tv program that was showing on my monitor with no problem. No sound of course, but a decent picture. Just set it for Video Capture mode instead of the default Image mode.

In the options you chose for just the Video capture, Paul, wasn't there an option to also capture the audio and video both ?? When I capture video on my monitor I also capture audio, BUT it is from my mic. So maybe that's the only way you can capture audio that is coming from other than the internal computer audio when using Snagit. I have never tried that yet. For capturing audio and video from my TV, I use my Dazzle 150 unit and that works O.K.

Frank...
REDWAGON

#8 Beerman

Beerman

Digital Beer Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -7,028 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE (REDWAGON @ Aug 5 2007, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In the options you chose for just the Video capture, Paul, wasn't there an option to also capture the audio and video both ?? When I capture video on my monitor I also capture audio, BUT it is from my mic. So maybe that's the only way you can capture audio that is coming from other than the internal computer audio when using Snagit. I have never tried that yet. For capturing audio and video from my TV, I use my Dazzle 150 unit and that works O.K.

Frank...

Frank, the 'include audio' button was checked but it did not record it.  Might be something I need to set on my sound card.  I didn't spend much time with it and allowed it to use the default settings (of which audio was 1).
Paul
------

#9 REDWAGON

REDWAGON

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,855 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE (Beerman @ Aug 5 2007, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Frank, the 'include audio' button was checked but it did not record it. Might be something I need to set on my sound card. I didn't spend much time with it and allowed it to use the default settings (of which audio was 1).

Thanks Paul smile.gif

FH...
REDWAGON

#10 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,795 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 03:36 PM

You might try Jing by the same company that makes SnagIt. It is free for now until they decide if it is worth marketing.  The videos are limited to 5 minutes and the audio is recorded from your microphone rather than the audio on the moview you are watching.

Edited by sknis, 05 August 2007 - 03:45 PM.

PC  
Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin):  Windows 8.1 64 bit, I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#11 REDWAGON

REDWAGON

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,855 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:17 AM

Since the thread started, I have finally figured out how to capture Video AND audio from my monitor screen desktop using Snagit. (I had a little help from a Tech however :>). The resulting video was pretty good quality, I thought. After capturing a TV program and saving it, I played it in WMP as an avi file. I looked for any sync problems between the video and audio and there was none that I could detect.

When I captured the TV program I had set the options in Snagit to capture the entire screen, so when it plays there are portions of the video where you see other parts of my screen. This can be eliminated by setting the options to just capture a portion of the screen however. The resulting 1 minute 23 sec. file I captured was just under 69 MB in size.

Doing what the original OP wanted to accomplish certainly depends a lot on what hardware and software is on the computer, that's for sure.

Frank...
REDWAGON

#12 NickK

NickK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:42 AM

Pinnacle's Dazzle DVC90 seems to do a pretty good job of capturing.  S-Video or Video Out connects to the Dazzle which connects to a USB port on your workstation.  Software such as VideoWave or DVD Maker (comes with the Dazzle box) collects the input and sends it to an output file (or directly to DVD/CD).  Selectable resolution (resulting in BIG file size changes of course).  Files > 5GB can be collected - not sure what the max is but that equates to 1hr 20 minutes at DVD-HQ (MPEG-2) format.

#13 REDWAGON

REDWAGON

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,855 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:48 AM

QUOTE (NickK @ Aug 7 2007, 06:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pinnacle's Dazzle DVC90 seems to do a pretty good job of capturing. S-Video or Video Out connects to the Dazzle which connects to a USB port on your workstation. Software such as VideoWave or DVD Maker (comes with the Dazzle box) collects the input and sends it to an output file (or directly to DVD/CD). Selectable resolution (resulting in BIG file size changes of course). Files > 5GB can be collected - not sure what the max is but that equates to 1hr 20 minutes at DVD-HQ (MPEG-2) format.

That's what I do with my Dazzle 150 also. That's O.K but when you want to capture something that is playing on your monitor (say like a video playing in WMP) it's a different story. When WMP is playing on the monitor it is playing using it's program and NOT the "screen" itself. To eliminate that if it's playing in WMP, open WMP and on the TOOLS menu click on OPTIONS and then on the PERFORMANCE (tab) and in the "Video Acceleration" area, move the slider clear to the "NONE" end. Now it will be playing on the Screen itself. WMP has a layered playing area. One for the screen and one for the program itself from what I have been told.

Frank...
REDWAGON

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users