Modular1

Blocky Picture on VCD/SVCD/DVDs burned with toast

Question

any reason this should be?

i have previously been using Mireth iVCD to burn SVCDs of 349mb .avi files (xvid/divx). The quality of the discs burned in iVCD far outstrips the quality of any disc ive burned in Toast but id like to use the menu features etc in toast.

why is the final product picture so awful in toast? its not the source file for sure. iVCD has proved that.

6 answers to this question

Most people don't use VCD or SVCD. I don't think the Toast quality is that bad, but iVCD is using FFMPEG which as lots of options to tweak which can result in better quality if set correctly.

It could be the decoder being used for the DivX files. I don't know what CODEC you have installed, but the newer ones are better at Decoding.

I personally would convert the files with FFMPEG, then burn them in Toast with menus.

Most people don't use VCD or SVCD. I don't think the Toast quality is that bad, but iVCD is using FFMPEG which as lots of options to tweak which can result in better quality if set correctly.

It could be the decoder being used for the DivX files. I don't know what CODEC you have installed, but the newer ones are better at Decoding.

I personally would convert the files with FFMPEG, then burn them in Toast with menus.

is ffmpeg an OSX program?

Yes. Go to www.ffmegx.com

thanks. one question...

for AVI to DVD, which preset in ffmpeg should i use to make sure toast needs to do no extra encoding?

Edited by Modular1

thanks. one question...

for AVI to DVD, which preset in ffmpeg should i use to make sure toast needs to do no extra encoding?

actually ive just worked out that i can quite easily encode using iVCD and burn using toast. Magic :)