PhillipK

Error code 0643 during installation

Question

I have been using EMC 9 for a couple of months with no problems. Two days ago I bought and downloaded EMC 10 from Roxio/Digital River. Installed it without uninstalling EMC 9 first. It worked, but after installation the application wouldn't start. No error code, or anything, it just wouldn't start.

I tried to install it once again, same error. (The next time I got a "missing ...dll file" when I tried to start the program.)

Uninstalled EMC 9 and EMC 10 and tried to install it again (have no tried that several times), but the installation process stops about halfway through the process, with the following error code: 0643. I also got the message "Cannot find certificate file".

I have tried searching through the Knowledge Base and asking "RoxAnn", but haven't found any sensible information.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might bring me back on track again?

PhillipK

13 answers to this question

I have been using EMC 9 for a couple of months with no problems. Two days ago I bought and downloaded EMC 10 from Roxio/Digital River. Installed it without uninstalling EMC 9 first. It worked, but after installation the application wouldn't start. No error code, or anything, it just wouldn't start.

I tried to install it once again, same error. (The next time I got a "missing ...dll file" when I tried to start the program.)

Uninstalled EMC 9 and EMC 10 and tried to install it again (have no tried that several times), but the installation process stops about halfway through the process, with the following error code: 0643. I also got the message "Cannot find certificate file".

I have tried searching through the Knowledge Base and asking "RoxAnn", but haven't found any sensible information.

PhillipK

Have you followed the instructions in the clean install method, here?

http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/000127CR

Or, if you don't have Vista:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=24606

Edited by grandpabruce

Thanks, Bruce

I'm trying to do that now, but I can't delete the necessary folders. It says I have to be logged on as Administrator to do that. I am logged on as an administrator, so I don't understand that.

I was able to work my way around the "Administrator" problem. However, when I rebooted the computer and started the installation again, the installation suddenly stops with the message "The installation process was interrupted. Nothing was changed, blabla, Please try the installation again at another time. (Which I have no done about ten times. :angry:

Exactly my experience. I am so tired of trying to install this program. I have wasted HOURS and HOURS and HOURS with it and still it is not installed. I am really sick of it. :angry2: I have followed all instructions for clean install, am running nothing while I install, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Furthermore, the online help was exactly ZERO help. The answer was to turn off the anti-virus. Period.

I was able to work my way around the "Administrator" problem. However, when I rebooted the computer and started the installation again, the installation suddenly stops with the message "The installation process was interrupted. Nothing was changed, blabla, Please try the installation again at another time. (Which I have no done about ten times. :angry:
Edited by kathi

Actually if you'd read the splash screen at the start of the installation, you would have seen a notice to turn all running programs off.

That includes the anti-virus

Just about every single installation says the same thing no matter who produced it

The point is, everything WAS turned off, yet it still wouldn't install. And the answer I got was to "turn the anti-virus off."

Actually if you'd read the splash screen at the start of the installation, you would have seen a notice to turn all running programs off.

That includes the anti-virus

Just about every single installation says the same thing no matter who produced it

PhillipK

Try the Windows clean utility to remove all traces of the roxio 9 and 10. Disable your virus protection (use the "msconfig" command to uncheck the "services" and the "startup" tabs for your virus potection software and windows defender etc. and then reboot your system.

Next when your system is back up; go to accessories and right click to "run as administrator" the command prompt. Change the directory to (cd\windows\system32) to system32 and run this command "regsvr32 vbscript.dll". After successfully running this command, reinstall Roxio 10

Hope this helps!

Try the Windows clean utility to remove all traces of the roxio 9 and 10. Disable your virus protection (use the "msconfig" command to uncheck the "services" and the "startup" tabs for your virus potection software and windows defender etc. and then reboot your system.

Next when your system is back up; go to accessories and right click to "run as administrator" the command prompt. Change the directory to (cd\windows\system32) to system32 and run this command "regsvr32 vbscript.dll". After successfully running this command, reinstall Roxio 10

Hope this helps!

Thanks for your help. I had run the windows clean install, switched "everything" off in msconfig, but it turned out that there were some Roxio-related software from the previous EMC9-installation that hadn't been removed (Xingtones, etc.). Once I removed every trace, and did the clean install-procedure once again, it installed perfectly.

And, by the way: It runs perfectly, too ;-)

Thanks for your help. I had run the windows clean install, switched "everything" off in msconfig, but it turned out that there were some Roxio-related software from the previous EMC9-installation that hadn't been removed (Xingtones, etc.). Once I removed every trace, and did the clean install-procedure once again, it installed perfectly.

And, by the way: It runs perfectly, too ;-)

That is great, Philip! I hope that it stays that way.

I finally solved this problem after three days of no joy. The key was using a program I have called Your Uninstaller 2006. It has an advanced uninstall option. When I put in Roxio it found about six different hidden Roxio programs that were still on the system -- or at least remnants. Once those were removed, and I did registry cleans using RegCure and the Vista version of XP Repair Pro, the program (EMC 10) finally installed without that blasted error. I just thought others might benefit from this information, as I was helped by reading this thread. Good luck to everyone that's been suffering through this install issue.

Hi

I faced exactly the same trouble and I hope, I can solve it now, using the instriuctions listed above. However, isn't it a pitty that you have to eliminate all traces of a previous version to install an update :angry2: ?? I think, this needs to be improved by ROXIO with the next version.

Regards from Munich

Thomas

Ok. I had this problem with Roxio 10. It will not start after a system restore even though its still in there. Have to uninstall everything, use the Microsoft Installer Clean up Utility. After that

Go To Start

Click RUN

Type in msconfig

Go to Startup Tab

Disable All

Go To Services Tab

Hide Microsoft Services

Disable all

Apply

Ok

Then Restart

Install Roxio 10

Go into msconfig

Select Normal Start

Apply

Ok

Restart.

Don't know why this version so glitchy, but until there is a patch, try this for workaround.